Login with a social network:

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:08 pm 

I was thinking when reading the thread on top ten guitars and thought about how someone said Brian May,
Then I got to thinking,who have I seen live??
So, here it is.
Brian May! Queen Oakland indoor. 24 years ago. Great show. In every sence of the word.
The sound was perfect, light show, perfect. May, and the rest of the boys, perfect! They came out with Jail House Rock! Freddy worn this bright pink leather suspender pant thing. He, (Freddy) also played the acoustic on Crazy Little Thing Called Love. The album wasn't out yet! A group called The blasters opened for them and thier entire setup wasn't as big as Roger's drum kit! but they did a good job as well.
Then I saw ZZ Top, Cow Palace. They had two opening acts, I can't remember who they were but I do remember the where treated VERY badly by the audiance. They were spit at they threw things at them, they knocked a mic stand over. I remember mentally congradulating the sound guy for having the mic killed before it hit the floor! IMO ZZ Top, When they did their set, they came out played their songs in a rapid fire manner, got it over with very fast, did an oncore that was so loud I thought I was going to die! really! I think they were livid at how the warmups were treated. As was I! They where a couple of really good bands!! I also remember thinking about the audiance, What are you idiots doing?? ZZ isn't going anywhere!! they'll play, just wait!
Anyway, Then I saw a benefit that had too many stars to mention. It was for a promoter named Ronny Lane who had I beleive Muscular distraphy.
Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Joe Cocker, and so many more..
Jeff Beck stole the show! never seen anything like it! they were all great!!
and last but most certainly not least, Mr. Vai, YJM, Mr. Satch G-3 Concord Ca. another great show. I am to old for a rowdy rock concert and the G-3 was just the venue for me. Anyway, Thats it!

Yours in fellowship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:48 pm 

Anything with Steve has been a great experience...
Been to a few shows, cannot wait to see him some more!

Another memorable concert, was Yanni at Universal Ampitheater about 10 years ago.
Man, that was awesome!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:47 am 

hehe, yeah...
Queen was one of my first live shows.... i saw them in something like '73 or maybe '74 (can't quite remember exact year) at a small arena in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA. they were awesome and soooooooo very different from anything at the time. Brian May was great, and impressed me very much, to say the least.

uhm, over time (and all that went with the '70's music scene ;P ) i've forgotten more shows than i can remember these days.... but i'll see if i can recall some off the top of me head.....

Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Blue Oyster Cult, Uriah Heep (very first concert)
Bachman Turner Overdrive (eek, the worse act i ever witnessed, hahahaha)
Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band
Pink Floyd (june '75, Dark Side Of The Moon tour - high school graduation gift :) )
Allman Brothers
Charlie Daniels Band
Marshall Tucker Band
Wishbone Ash
Billy Joel
Leon Russell
Jethro Tull
Rush
Mahogany Rush
Grinderswitch
Fleetwood Mac (with Lindsay Buckingham)
Journey
Boston
Aerosmith
Steven Stills
Crosby, Stills & Nash
ZZ Top
Robert Plant
Yes
Lynyrd Sknyryd
Peter Frampton
Joe Bonamassa
U2

...uhmmm, many more, but can't think right now, lol

ooh, Eric Clapton.... just saw him this past Monday 14 June.... finally 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:49 am 

Mr. summer_sky
Wow..Thats alot of shows.
You'll get the prize for the most shows seen!! :)

Yours in fellowship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:43 am 

Logic wrote:
Mr. summer_sky
Wow..Thats alot of shows.
You'll get the prize for the most shows seen!! :)

Yours in fellowship.

teeheehee, Logic, it's Miss summer_sky :P but, i prefer to be called just 'summer' :)

and, dear Mr. (?, lol :lol: ) Logic..... this is just some of the shows at which i've grooved to live music. bah.... my memory isn't as quick as it once was, lol (erhmm, neither is my hearing.... too many concerts spent in front of those huge sound systems. hahah)

for me, one of the greatest, most enjoyable things in life is experiencing live music performed by musicians who really dig what they do... and, i imagine it must be quite a rush for a musician to see an audience getting off on their music, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:48 am 

Miss. Summer_sky OPPS!!! Summer!!
I do appologize, <Tipping hat> :)
I do know what you mean about the sound thing.
As the post above states the ZZTop oncore was made tp punish.
I really beleive that to. NEVER been subjected to that loud of sound.

Respecfully yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:12 am 
Banned

KISS
DC Talk
Wierd Al
Rush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:12 am 

hehe, Logic, no worries, *curtseys* i'm often mistakened for a guy... must be my eloquence in speech? :P

i don't doubt you are correct about ZZ Top reacting to a disrespectful and bad-mannered audience. i've been to shows were i was pretty pissed at the behavior of some audience members and i can quite imagine that to stand on stage with collegues and bandmates and be subjected to crap like you describe would make me wanna show my disdain.

you know, even if i am disappointed to some degree with a show or with a band's performance, i cannot bring myself to display negative behavior..... i still applaud, maybe not as enthusiatically or i might not 'woohoo' as loudly (yeah, i'm one of those fans who let out whoops from time to time, lol), but i still appreciate the fact that the band is doing their thing that they enjoy.... you know, sharing their creative expression publicly. that's more than a lot of people can even attempt to do.

also, you make mention of the unsung heros in the music biz....
how 'bout them sound techs and engineers and lighting guys and the roadcrew.... they surely do a lot to make the difference between a good show and a great show, too.

btw, i think what makes that BTO show stand out in my mind as the worse act i saw is the fact that Bob Seger And The Silver Bullet Band was the warm-up act and wound the crowd so high that BTO had no way to not be anti-climatic. BTO never stood a chance, Seger and his band was dead-on tight.
it was the first concert i attended where the (then) unknown lead-in act blew the headlining band off the stage. poor BTO, i always wondered if they ever recovered? hahahaa

Last edited by summer_sky on Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:13 am 

OMG! how could i forget KISS.... yeah, i saw them circa '76 or '77 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:48 am 

Okay, here goes:

Ani DiFranco-about 15 times <2 more times at the end of next month>
Van Halen-7 times
AC/DC-1
Quiet Riot <Yikes> 1
Humble Pie-1
Scorpions-1
John Butcher Axis-1
Yngwie-1
Steve Vai-4 times
Joe Satriani-5 times
Eric Johnson-2 times
Robert Fripp <solo>-1
Mike Keneally-1
Paul McCartney-1
Journey-1
Peter Frampton-1
Dream Theatre-1
King's X-1
Pat Metheny-1
Lyle Mays <Pat's pianist/keyboard player w/ a three piece>-1
Craig Chacquico-1
Tito Puente-1
Chick Corea-1
Los Lobos-1
Sheryl Crow-2
Sarah McLaughlan-1
Ozzy Osbourne-1
Metallica-1
Jonathan Butler-1
Maynard Ferguson-1
Bobby Shew-1
Kiss-2 <reunion and farewell>
Liliath Fair-1
Ted Nugent-1
Michele Branch-1 <cutie>
Sekou Sundiata-1
Noe Venable-1
Neil Zaza-2
Indigo Girls-1
Bachman Turner Overdrive-1

To name a few over the years, living everywhere from NY, CA and everywhere in between. Also not counting big festivals <blues fests, jazz fests> or local bands-"Hey, 'Trip Hammer' and 'Inside Out' from Binghampton NY!!! haha

The Ani DiFranco shows have been my obvious favorite. For those of you who don't know her-she's a great singer, songwriter, poet, musician, arranger-part of her story is that she is self owned, entirely. No corporate umbrella like Madonna, ect. She owns herself, tours on her own and also runs her own record company. Very very inspiring. I've seen her go from the lil' folksinger, to a duo, to a trio, to a full band back to a solo artist again and it's always been magical.

Vai and Satch have never disappointed me. They are great and getting to meet them has been great.

Seeing McCartney was a great experience. Seeing one of the best ever, perform still gives me chills.

Seeing Humble Pie and Steve Marriot was a great show, having listened to my older brother's records all those years. R.I.P.

Kiss was fun, my nephew was about the same age I was when I was into them. The second time <the first official 'farewell' tour> we sat in the 3rd row in fron of Gene and had him spit blood on everyone! haha

Liliath Fair was cool-a big festival with tons of stages and performances

Van Halen was always worth the time/money to me. Seeing Eddie play that much was a great memory and inspiration.

Lyle Mays was a great and very intimate show in SF. You could hear the keys hitting it befor the note it was so intimate.

I've had a great time at all the shows I've been to, but meeting people I've loved for years and years has been the icing on the cake. And meeting and talking with all the fans you meet at the shows has been just as cool.

peace and light

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:45 am 

*passes Logic's prize for most-shows-seen to the honorable NatiFable*

oh, man, i'm so envious that, among other greats, you've seen Humble Pie and Van Halen (7 times! whoa), NatiFable. i was hoping to see VH when they come to Florida in September, but as luck would have it, they are coming here at the same time i'm flying off across the big pond. oh well, maybe next time.

hehe, your memory must be better than mine :p

btw, how was BTO when you saw them? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:36 pm 

Natifable: how was the Metheny show, when did you see him? I want to see him sooo badly, you are lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:06 pm 

summer_sky and tim_knox,

Hey there, oh, I love going to shows or even just listening to music in general. Humble Pie was so great, it was my first concert! The whole, "That's Steve, that's the guy from the albums, that's the guy in 'Rolling Stone' and 'Cream'!" :D

summer_sky, do go and check out Van Halen, I've seen every incarnation except the last one, I hope to catch them this year, but it doesn't look like I may. I live in a tiny little town in the southern most part of NM. I have to road trip to bigger cities to see these people, but it's worth it. I hear Eddie's playing is really great and Wolfie has been jamming with them during the solo section of the show-oops shoud I have said that? I heard he was at the big final rehearsal...on tour? Hmm....

Tim, Pat Metheny is...<speechless> he's such a talent. Such a great guitarist/musician/composer/bandleader. He played in a city about an hour away <Las Cruces> not to long ago, and he was amazing. It all just flows out of him. His whole band is just great. His drummer had some cross over chops and speed in his hands.

He was playing with his trademark sound, and man, on the technical side, he is one of the best. I saw him on Leno, and he was talking about how he is on the road so much that he is registered as a 'permanent transit'! :D So I'm very sure that he will be touring near you soon!

For a small area we do get alot of great shows: I forgot to mention Eliot Fisk, Benjamin Verdey <sp>. There is going to be a triple bill tonight, and I'm gonna jump off a cliff later because I can't go: Stanley Clark, Al DiMeola and Jun Luc Ponty in El Paso!

I'm actually going to do what's called 'field rep' work for Ani DiFranco the middle of next month for her shows in this area. I just received my packet: Posters, postcards, computer files and you plaster the city with her stuff. You document everything, where, where and where and you get a 'field rep' shirt and you get put on the guest list for yourself and someone else. How cool is that? More groups/artists should do that. They even sent me a cd from one of the artist on her label, the marker and tape to put her stuff up! :D

Thanks you guys, seeing shows is so much fun, reading everyone's posts, I'm struck with the old "Oh man, I'd love to see Crosby Stills and Nash!" or I'm sitting here thinking-"There are soooo many more groups I haven't seen yet!!!" :D

peace and light

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:17 pm 

jeez where do i start...
cant remember ALL of them but ill have a go...
first gig was in 1975..not sure if it was Hawkwind or deep purples ill fated last ever gig with coverdale and bolin.
anyway here goes..

Deep purple (70s 80s) 4 times ?
Hawkwind (70s 80s 90s) 15 times ?
Led zeppelin (79 Knebworth)once
Rush (70s 80s) 3 times
kiss (70s 80s 90s) 8 times
Van halen (70s 80s 90s) 7 times
Living colour (80s) 3 times
Black sabbath (70s 80s 90s)(even with Van halen in support) 4 times
Rainbow (70s 80s) 2 times
Frank Zappa (80s) once
Metallica (80s 90s) 6 times
AC/DC (70s 80s) 3 times
whitesnake (70s 80s 90s 00s) 16 times ?
Queen (70s 80s) 6 times
Heart (70s 80s 00s) 5 times
Rolling stomes (80s) 2 times
Budgie (70s 80s 90s) 12 times ?
RATM (90s ) 6 times
RHCP (80s 90s) 4 times
Aerosmith (80s 90s) 3 times
Scorpions (70s 80s 90s ) 8 times ?
Thin Lizzy (70s 80s) 10 times ?
U2 (80s) 3 times
Pink Floyd (70s) 2 times
Fleetwood mac (70s 80s) 2 times
ZZ TOP (80s) 2 times
Journey (80s) once
Police (80s?) once
Status quo (70s) 9 times ?
Malmsteen (80s) 3 times
Motorhead (70s 80s) ..wait for it....68 times lol
Dream theater ( 80s 90s 00s) 8 times
Joe Satriani (80s 90s 00s) 15 times ?
Steve vai (80s 90s 00s) 25 times ? (inc DL Roth)
Dave lee roth (80s 90s 00s)8 times ?
Ted nugent (70s 80s) 4 times
Judas priest (70s 80s) 5 times
Iron Maiden (70s 80s 90s ) 8 times ?
Frank gambale 4 times
Chick corea 2 times
Alan Holdsworth 2 times

plus many many other at the likes of donnington monsters of rock ..reading festival..Knebworth etc etc

? denotes ...im not sure axactly how many times ive seen them

cheers
R1FSR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:01 pm 

Mr. R1FSR
Holy Smokes!!!!!!!!!
Hey Summer!!?!?!
A new prize winner!!
All joking aside, Mr.R1FSR you must go to concerts for a living!!
Thats heavy. I am at a loss as what to say about this list!
I stopped counting at 150 shows ....

Yours in fellowship.