VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:50 am 
Newcomer

What does Steve Vai think of Guthrie Govan? I know Guthrie says the most ideal guitarist to him is Steve, so I wonder if Steve would ever help Guthrie get some more exposure? I am saddened by the thought that he might be "too much shred" for Steve's taste as some people say. I would hope to see Vai jam with Guthrie one day, just like his fellow FN players (Mattias Eklundh and Andy Timmons) have already done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:32 am 

I heard that Steve loved the 'Erotic Cakes' album and thinks of Guthrie very highly. I never heard that he thought it might be "too much shred" or anything like that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:48 am 

alexkhan wrote:
...I never heard that he thought it might be "too much shred" or anything like that...

Neither did I and I really don't think Steve would say such thing about Guthrie.
Guthrie certainly isn't a typical shred noodler, of course he can shred but he does so much more. He's an amazing and tasteful guitarplayer. He's also one of the most versatile players around.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:34 am 
Newcomer

BUMP This old thread to the top! :) It's been 6 years in the making for Guthrie since his debut album, and as a fan I STILL would love to hear Steve and Guthrie play together. I wonder if Steve would do it! 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:44 am 

Guthrie's most ideal guitarist was Steve?? cant imagine that somehow..

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:36 am 
Newcomer

Guitaruss wrote:

When it came to technical guitar playing, yes he was! Here's a few quotes from interviews he's had....

When did you first become aware of the super technical new generation of 80’s rock guitarists?

Well, that all happened very suddenly over one summer. This will sound very strange to players of my generation, but I actually heard Steve Vai before I heard Eddie Van Halen! What really did it for me was Dave Lee Roth’s ‘Eat ‘Em and Smile’ album, and I probably first took notice because I was aware of Steve Vai through his work with Frank Zappa.

Who would you say are your pivotal influences?

In technique terms I could go on for days about players we both know, but the one who really made a difference and had a massive impact on me was Steve Vai – he wasn’t just displaying outrageous rock technique but utilising it whilst also really playing for the song. To hear him play on ‘Eat ‘Em and Smile’. with a different approach for every song yet always sounding unmistakeably like the same guy, that was hugely inspiring. The fact that there was a sense of humour there, and that he didn’t sound like he was trying to impress you, he was entertaining you – that seemed like evidence of a broader imagination than everyone else around was exhibiting at that time. I loved it!

I'm just curious if Steve has any kind words on Guthrie? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:24 am 

LordoftheStrings wrote:
Guitaruss wrote:

When it came to technical guitar playing, yes he was! Here's a few quotes from interviews he's had....

When did you first become aware of the super technical new generation of 80’s rock guitarists?

Well, that all happened very suddenly over one summer. This will sound very strange to players of my generation, but I actually heard Steve Vai before I heard Eddie Van Halen! What really did it for me was Dave Lee Roth’s ‘Eat ‘Em and Smile’ album, and I probably first took notice because I was aware of Steve Vai through his work with Frank Zappa.

In technique terms I could go on for days about players we both know, but the one who really made a difference and had a massive impact on me was Steve Vai – he wasn’t just displaying outrageous rock technique but utilising it whilst also really playing for the song. To hear him play on ‘Eat ‘Em and Smile’. with a different approach for every song yet always sounding unmistakeably like the same guy, that was hugely inspiring. The fact that there was a sense of humour there, and that he didn’t sound like he was trying to impress you, he was entertaining you – that seemed like evidence of a broader imagination than everyone else around was exhibiting at that time. I loved it!

Cool !! didnt know Guthrie was a Vai fan! I'm sure if steve heard Guthrie's playing he'd be hugely impressed.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:56 pm 

Guitaruss wrote:
LordoftheStrings wrote:
Guitaruss wrote:

Cool !! didnt know Guthrie was a Vai fan! I'm sure if steve heard Guthrie's playing he'd be hugely impressed.

A "fan", perhaps:) I think he respects Steve and he is one of him main influences. No surprise there, I think a lot of his playing on Erotic Cakes very early Vai-like, of course Guthrie has his twist on the stuff but the influence is pretty clear IMO.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:48 pm 
Newcomer

alexkhan wrote:
I heard that Steve loved the 'Erotic Cakes' album and thinks of Guthrie very highly. I never heard that he thought it might be "too much shred" or anything like that.

Hi Ed! I wish Steve would send a quote like Satch and so many others did about his playing :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:08 am 

Great player he is, of that there is little doubt, but to me Guthrie just does not have any of 'himself' in anything I've heard. He doesn't sound like Guthrie, he just sounds like other players he is mimicking. The appeal goes out of the door for me, then. When I hear Steve, or Nuno, or Kotzen, or Satriani, I can hear that guitarist's signature sound so easily - but I don't hear it with Guthrie. Just my two cents.

I'm not saying he's not a great player, some of his playing is truly incredible. But to me he's a YouTube guy. I just wouldn't buy any of his records.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:36 pm 

Bryceybhoy wrote:
Great player he is, of that there is little doubt, but to me Guthrie just does not have any of 'himself' in anything I've heard. He doesn't sound like Guthrie, he just sounds like other players he is mimicking. The appeal goes out of the door for me, then. When I hear Steve, or Nuno, or Kotzen, or Satriani, I can hear that guitarist's signature sound so easily - but I don't hear it with Guthrie. Just my two cents.

I'm not saying he's not a great player, some of his playing is truly incredible. But to me he's a YouTube guy. I just wouldn't buy any of his records.

I tend to agree with you, hes probably the most technically accomplished guitar player on the planet, capable of playing virtually anything, BUT he doesnt 'let himself go' to my mind, its all slightly premeditated sounding...hard to put into words.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:08 am 

Bryceybhoy wrote:

Well, I agree he might not have an instantly recognisable sound/style....or not as easily recognisable as those guys you mentioned....yet.....it's a matter of opinion, of course...but then he hasn't released nearly as much music as those guys have for him to really be able to establish a "sound"....either way, that doesn't make him any less of the incredible player he is....would love to see him on a G3 tour, he'd probably smoke everyone else on stage :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:18 am 

Prezidentman wrote:

would love to see him on a G3 tour, he'd probably smoke everyone else on stage :lol:

Hell, taking into account Joe's recent albums, I could probably cut heads with him on a G3!

Dull.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:54 am 

Bryceybhoy wrote:
Prezidentman wrote:

would love to see him on a G3 tour, he'd probably smoke everyone else on stage :lol:

Hell, taking into account Joe's recent albums, I could probably cut heads with him on a G3!

Dull.

No lack of cofidence I see :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:16 am 

Yip, I wouldn't even bother warming up. :guitar