R.I.P. Guitar Legend Les Paul dies at 94

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Moderator777

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Paul" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – Les Paul, the guitarist and inventor who changed the course of music with the electric guitar and multitrack recording and had a string of hits, many with wife Mary Ford, died on Thursday. He was 94.

According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died of complications from pneumonia at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side.

He had been hospitalized in February 2006 when he learned he won two Grammys for an album he released after his 90th birthday, "Les Paul & Friends: American Made, World Played."
Full story from the AP here.

I will be playing my Les Paul today in memory of him.

--------------
Moderator777
http://www.vai.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
precario

Yeah, the other day I was wondering how old he was. He will be missed, thank you for the huge contribution and impact on music !
Ugur Dariveren

R.I.P Legend.
Jeries

I've met a lot of famous people, and I enjoy hearing others talk about their experiences with celebrities, Esp with musicians I always had one that ALWAYS topped them in celebrity with Les Paul. I'm really glad to have met him backstage in his dressing room in like July of 2007.

I was listening to a Les Paul CD in the car yesterday actually, I listened to Lover, - you know lots of hard rock guitar players listen to music from 1939 in their car in 2009.

There is no one more influential to music than him, the guitar, multitrack recording, reverb.

A legend.

(i'll post new pics later)
Last edited by Jeries on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patill

oh, very sad :(. I hope he is in piece.

I actually had the chance to see him live and I didn´t take it. New York is a big city and you can see so much things that you are so tired in the evening. Actually I wanted to see him next year...all I got is a photo of his flyer in front of the club. Les Paul playing at 8:00 p.m. :).
teokiatuan

rip and congrats on inventing a very influential guitar, Les.

right about now, Gibson should be cracking their heads thinking how to go dimebag style
Last edited by teokiatuan on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
pauldlr

Sad news, R.I.P.
Azyiu

Speechless... RIP. :peace
Jeries

teokiatuan wrote:Gibson should be cracking their heads thinking how to go dimebag style
I know about a year ago gibson was working on a Les Paul guitar limited to about a 100 that les paul himself signed the headstock face unfinished and then the guitar would be finished/completed with les pauls real signature where it ususally says Les Paul

i'm pretty sure those guitars haven't been released yet...
but whatever gibson does i'm sure is tasteful

Dean/Washburn should be fucking ashamed of themselves- its disgusting
mayuka

my dad called me while I was driving home from vacation. what a depressing news. RIP
jemgirl

ohh this sad news :( :(
R.I.P. les paul.
you were the greatest!!
bennyvx78

Here's a guitarist / musician that deserves every respect and praise in the world. He got artritis as he got older,
But he still kept playing, Because he loved it so much I think. He lived a live many of us dream off,..
He was a excellent musician, He had a beautifull wife with a stunning voice, And he invented a few things to..
He was a great man. Rest in Peace.

I wish all those who knew him well, all the best and strength. Rest in Peace.

p.s : Check out that amazing note miss. ford sings at 1.45 and les paul acting all silly ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ffdwBUL78" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by bennyvx78 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trinity777

He will be greatly missed.

I'm disapointed I never got to see him play!

My dad used to play his records alot.

R.I.P Les Paul

:guitar

Trinity777 8)
notavirtuoso

I'm sad to see him go but what a life he had. I could only dream of being 1% as awesome as he was. And that's not even considering musical ability. May you rest in peace sir. Thank you for all you've done for us.
jsterry

A sad day in the guitar world. R.I.P :(