Bass guitarist and drummer for Steve Vai next band?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
RM

I have never got Billy as a bass player...he is waaay too busy for my tastes and just doesn't groove the way I want the bass too...

My ideal bass and drums line-up for Vai's band would be:

Doug Wimbish on bass, though it would be stealing him from my favourite band Living Colour!

Simon Phillips on drums. The guy is just awesome all of the time
ocuj

RM wrote:I have never got Billy as a bass player...he is waaay too busy for my tastes and just doesn't groove the way I want the bass too...

My ideal bass and drums line-up for Vai's band would be:

Doug Wimbish on bass, though it would be stealing him from my favourite band Living Colour!

Simon Phillips on drums. The guy is just awesome all of the time
Nice choice, man! About Billy, and now I will curse in churce, his sound is not that nice. Plain ugly to my taste. Wimbish would be really nice. What about Victor Wooten anyone?
Pi2plank

billy may not groove like stu or victor but i agree w/ steve when he said billy is the best rock bassist on the planet.. if you have G3 live in denver audio cd (w/ malmsteen), check out billy's playing in WAP there.. its unbelievable, he made the song sound like a movie or something.. i think that WAP in G3 denver is the best WAP version.. as for drummer, its mike mangini for me..
Instrumentalrockrocks

Well, I actually like Billy Sheehan in a completely different way in comparison to other bass guitar players...

I think he is more a guitar player on a bass guitar and not an actual bass guitar player...
Tough I DO LIKE THAT APPROACH!

This is probably going to cost my head on the forum :wink:

Groove On 8)
Patill

robmar wrote:in a previous post I mentioned Steves lack of new stuff.I believe playing with guys like these would inspire Steve no end.

Actually Jeremy is inspiring as you can hear on the audio commentary on the new DVD. And I think he´s doing a great job. Also I think Steve is doing the stuff he does all by himself and doesn´t let too much people talk into his mind, so blaming other persons for "no new stuff" might be wrong.

I think Jeremy does a great job.

And with Billy Sheehan, you do have a great virtuoso, but not a groove monster. I like Building the Church for example much better with the new guy. Billys bass sound is the worst I´ve ever heared^^. Some kinda like distorted lower guitar sound with no low end (what´s actually not the basses work...). I think he didnt fit into Steves band soundwise. But very much entertaning wise.
Stephen Brown

I think Steve will pick the best team for the team.
mikeybbdrummin
Newcomer

There are many drummers and bass players that are amazing and you could come up w/many combos......................................for me......this would be nice..........Again
Steve
Billy
Gregg Bissonette
and throw in Jordan Rudess.

I saw Gregg last night and the band he was w/was doing songs in 7/8 and 11/8. Crazy Latin/funk/fusion stuff................he would do great w/Steve's solo stuff.
I would love to hear the 3 of them again.............w/a little extra thrown in from Jordan.