What are people's views on Dance music?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Desert_Runner

What are people's views on Dance music?

#1 Post by Desert_Runner » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:56 pm

I almost feel weird for mentioning dance in a vai forum, but it would be interesting to know how its appreciated within the shredhead community.

Personally, I can enjoy a lot of it, though there is a lot of stupid dance music out there. But artists such as Daft Punk, Deadmau5, Phonat, The Young Punx and Groove Armada I like.

I think I confused Seraphim by making him listen to Daft Punk once :lol: good times.

What does everyone else think?

Jeries

Re: What are people's views on Dance music?

#2 Post by Jeries » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:53 pm

i overall would say i hate it--
however there are many 90s dance pop songs that were hits i love and adore and thing are amazingly written songs...

Republica
Real McCoy
Amber
ATC
Cover Girls (80s)
Expose (80s)

Big Bad Bill

#3 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:06 am

There is some great dance music out there and I like listening to it from time to time. A very special ex-girlfriend got me into it and so my tastes reflect hers: old skool though and Trance. We're no longer together (I killed her with a shovel), but when I listen to certain tracks...I can hear her spinning under the patio...

bonojr
Newcomer

#4 Post by bonojr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:44 pm

We need more guitar in dance music... 8)

Jeries

#5 Post by Jeries » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:24 pm

bonojr wrote:We need more guitar in dance music... 8)
Republica ( i mentioned above)
kinda has some good riifs n' gtr on "ready to go"

-Acid-
Newcomer

#6 Post by -Acid- » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:15 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:A very special ex-girlfriend got me into it and so my tastes reflect hers: old skool though and Trance. We're no longer together (I killed her with a shovel)
Hope you didn't damage your shovel...

Anyway, general "dance" music that you hear in clubs and on the radio makes me sick. I like music with feeling and emotion. Not boring, repetitive, techno bollocks...

Desert_Runner

#7 Post by Desert_Runner » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:19 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW11wER2 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Planisphere Final - Justice. Has guitar.

Also, I reccomend everyone to get into the group "The Young Punx!"

Don't be put off by them spellling punks with an x, Guthrie Govan plays with them sometimes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PdN2XYkRnU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Acid- wrote:Anyway, general "dance" music that you hear in clubs and on the radio makes me sick. I like music with feeling and emotion. Not boring, repetitive, techno bollocks...
I agree there's a lot of really dumb repetetive techno bollocks out there, but if you know where to look, you can find dance music that has mastered the art of buildup and release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpq2g4_nMlk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's repetetive, but compelling. At least in my opinion.

Big Bad Bill

#8 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:16 pm

Jeries wrote:
Republica ( i mentioned above)
kinda has some good riifs n' gtr on "ready to go"
There was a metal band, years ago (1993ish) who mixed dance beats with metal guitar. They were Crowforce and had a minor hit (it was on the Chart Show) with 'Don't Look Down'. They were ahead of their time and so bombed. I wonder what happened to them...?

LoveBlood

#9 Post by LoveBlood » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:59 am

-Acid- wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:A very special ex-girlfriend got me into it and so my tastes reflect hers: old skool though and Trance. We're no longer together (I killed her with a shovel)
Hope you didn't damage your shovel...
Haha! I think dance music is pretty terrible.

cbr1000f

#10 Post by cbr1000f » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:32 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:There was a metal band, years ago (1993ish) who mixed dance beats with metal guitar.
Okay, let's see...we could take this dance thread and that other thread "Did Steve Vai rip off Van Halen" and merge it together into "Did dance music rip off Van Halen?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyfZUVsdGtM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:wink: :wink:

boswell

#11 Post by boswell » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:58 pm

Yeah! I can dance to that. 8)

Desert_Runner

#12 Post by Desert_Runner » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:26 am

Well I think that video essentially fuses this topic with the Van Halen topic and the "Sampling: is it cheating or a cool thing?" topic from ages ago.
"Did Dance music cheat by ripping off Van Halen, or was it a cool thing?"

Myself, I liked the song.

Guitaruss

#13 Post by Guitaruss » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:07 pm

Like any genre theres tons of good music in it but most of it is crap.

I thnk this holds true for any musical genre ! :D

cbr1000f

#14 Post by cbr1000f » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:28 pm

Desert_Runner wrote:..."Sampling: is it cheating or a cool thing?"...
Well the recorded version was sampled but I actually accidentally saw them on a festival when I was waiting to see another band. I only knew one or two hits of them from MTV (this song was one of them).
I expected a guy with a computer on stage but I was pleasantly surprised that there was actually a band playing most of it live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QReVM-_8zac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well I'm REALLY not into dance music. As a matter of fact in my fanatic metal puber days :headbang I hated it :D
Well I'm much more open minded these days (comes with the age I guess) and I still don't like dance stuff (but hey I guess the "hate" part is gone). I actually hesitated to post in this thread because I felt that dance did not relate to me. But now I'm glad I did because I just discovered the myspace of that guitarist. I actually like the songs over there (it's not dance!!! :D ).
I hear the Dick Dale influence in "Wall of Sound" & "Bad Chemistry" is very cool.
http://www.myspace.com/noko440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice influences too (even EVH :wink: ):

"Main guitar-playing influences : Derek Bailey, Fred Frith, Hank Marvin, John McGeoch, Robert Fripp, Dick Dale, Mick Ronson, Steve Howe, Tom Verlaine, Allan Holdsworth, EVH, Nick Drake, Vic Flick, Portuguese Fado music and the movie work of John Barry, Ennio Morricone & Francis Lai. Oh yeah.....and Grime. "

So who would have thought that I would have to thank Desert Runner for starting a thread about dance music? :lol:

Instrumentalrockrocks
Location: Rotterdam - Holland (well not really Oud-Beijerland actually but nobody knows that)

#15 Post by Instrumentalrockrocks » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:22 pm

Check my Ambient / electronica project

Check the track called "The Forest"

Hope you'll like it! :mrgreen: