Is there a soul inside musical instruments?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Breeder

Re: Is there a soul inside musical instruments?

#16 Post by Breeder » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:04 am

99% of tree`s mass comes from the air

so guitar is acctualy air and strings :lol: :lol: :lol:

just as brain is mostly water... :lol:

Matwey

#17 Post by Matwey » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:23 am

Breeder wrote: just as brain is mostly water... :lol:
Exactly. Water has a memory - and that is even scientifically approved fact.
Seraphim wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:... guitars are just wire and wood in reality.
Wood comes from the trees. Trees are a life form?

Trees have their emotions - this is fact #2. At least, they can react to music. Of course, you can say that guitar is made of a dead tree. But then again, trees (or in general plants) in this case seem to be too emotional for the things that don't even have nerves..

prman

#18 Post by prman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:31 pm

no

ClarkyNZ

#19 Post by ClarkyNZ » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:03 pm

Matwey wrote:
Seraphim wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:... guitars are just wire and wood in reality.
Wood comes from the trees. Trees are a life form?

Trees have their emotions - this is fact #2. At least, they can react to music. Of course, you can say that guitar is made of a dead tree. But then again, trees (or in general plants) in this case seem to be too emotional for the things that don't even have nerves..
I want a guitar made from Ent-wood.

Matwey

#20 Post by Matwey » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:38 am

ClarkyNZ wrote:I want a guitar made from Ent-wood.
Right, talking trees..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_trees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Bad Bill

#21 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:01 am

Matwey wrote:[Exactly. Water has a memory - and that is even scientifically approved fact.
No it hasn't. The person who claimed to show that was discovered to be faking his results.
Matwey wrote:Trees have their emotions - this is fact #2. At least, they can react to music.
There's no evidence for this either.

Yes, timber is dead wood. Do dead things have souls? No. :wink: Its funny how people trying to gain credibilty of strange and whacky ideas look to science for the answers even if it is inappropriately so. It gives me some hope for humanity....

Matwey

#22 Post by Matwey » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:12 am

Yes, BBB, ignorance is a bliss...

Ultraviolet
Location: wherever plugging your brain into your heart puts you

#23 Post by Ultraviolet » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:06 am

Ok everyone,...

In All FACTUAL REALITY,...
and in all RECORDABLE EVIDENCE....

can you really PROOVE???? that there isn't some entity from another dimension inside the molecular energy that the instrument is made of,.. driving your mental pathways to where they have gone in your written music,....????

Just because you can't see it,,...
can't smell it,.....touch it,... hear it,....or feel it,...

doesn't mean it's not there,.....it just means that if it is there,.....your HUMAN perception and senses cannot detect it's presence.

I wasn't aware that it has been proven that throughout all dimensions and all space time,..everywhere in the known and un-known Universe, parallel or not,..that the only perception that exists,.. is what us humans sense,.....

Was it proven that it's just us here????

We only have the means to detect,,,,, human perception, even with our mechanical instrumentation in the labs,..space,..and such....because all the data recorded is only gonna be sent back to us humans in our own human language, to be identified or read or transcribed,....by a human.

How come we can't see gamma rays? there might be beings who can,....who are so small,...they fit in between the molecules that make up our instruments,........
because we have no HUMAN way to detect their presence or not,.....does that definately mean they aren't there?

Ultra :)

Awesome McBadass
Newcomer

#24 Post by Awesome McBadass » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:50 pm

As cheesy as it sounds, I kind of think there is.
I own a bunch of guitars, and have played a countless number of others, and none of them have anywhere close to the feel of my main guitar.
I don't really know how to explain it, but it's like it has it's own soul.

shiho k
Newcomer

#25 Post by shiho k » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:43 pm

Traditionally, Japanese thinks everything has their own soul.
Old story says, a precious chinese lute didn't make sound when someone whom it didn't like touched.
I can't play guitar but I love mine. Sometimes I feel so sorry to him because it's rare I touch and hug.

I don't know he is correct or not, but The Nature of Things-The Secret Life of Inanimate Objects written by Lyall Watson was interesting for me. After I read it, I became fearless of ghosts.

When someone asked Buddha if gods were real or not, he said, "what is good for you with this argument? Does it make your real life better?" I agree with Buddha. If it makes your music better, you should keep your thought and love your instruments.

guyver_dio

#26 Post by guyver_dio » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:56 am

i'm gonna step into fairy land for a minute, in the concept of 'soul' haven't we established that when a living organism dies the soul leaves the body and moves on? Well by the time wood is made into a guitar the wood is well and truly dead, so why would the soul stick around just because it gets made into a musical instrument, an object we imbue with personality and character, not the material itself. In the same token you could also ask if there is a soul in wooden chairs.

But now a million people will say that's not what a soul does and we'll get a million different explanations of a soul, which means everyone knows absolutely 0% of what a soul is or does if it exists at all, so this question will remain unanswered for quite sometime.

guyver_dio

#27 Post by guyver_dio » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:28 am

Ultraviolet wrote:can you really PROOVE???? that there isn't some entity from another dimension inside the molecular energy that the instrument is made of,.. driving your mental pathways to where they have gone in your written music,....????
why does it need to be from another dimension though when we still don't know everything about this dimension? there could be something happening in this dimension at that level that gives each object its 'uniqueness' or what you're calling 'soul'. But no your first assumption is another dimension when everyone knows that this 'dimension' exists and there is no evidence of another dimension existing, just millions of theories of the unknown.

a spiritual realm or other dimensions acting on ours are perfectly acceptable ways to explain the unknown, but i think it's jumping the gun a little bit, i think we need to find out a little more about this world first. It's like looking at a maths equation and saying the answer is 5 without first finding out what the symbols in the equation stand for. If we eventually find out what all the pieces of the equation mean and get an answer of 4 when we expected 5, then we can start applying all these other theories.

Awesome McBadass
Newcomer

#28 Post by Awesome McBadass » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:35 am

Erm, I think some people are over-analyzing this a little too much.

Desert_Runner

#29 Post by Desert_Runner » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:16 pm

You can't analyse too much.

Awesome McBadass
Newcomer

#30 Post by Awesome McBadass » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:41 pm

Of course you can.
You can over-do anything.