SATRIANI SUES COLDPLAY

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
lydian2000

Re: SATRIANI SUES COLDPLAY

#46 Post by lydian2000 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:58 am

wasoota wrote:
al wrote:Wow, he' so cynical and full of himself! he almost sounds like a bully too! :o

and he has a land rover, i don't think he's particularly into cars
It's PR. You do that after every filing so you don't look quite so like the money-hungry tightass you usually are. Public exposure and pressure on the defendant will be a major factor in how much cash the settlement involves. Making the interview "exclusive" makes it further appear like the plaintiff would rather not talk about it, but circumstances "have forced him to set the record straight". *wipes tear from eye*

I've heard practically the same thing verbatim about leaves in the driveway, bubbling pool filters, creaking trampoline springs, noisy children. Incredible hardship. Grave suffering. Good Lawyers have templates.

You don't seriously believe he's saying anything at this stage without the explicit, word-for-word coaching of his lawyers? They told him to get out there and they timed so the lawsuit came right before, the interview right after the Grammy nominations for maximum effect. That's how it's done.

And no, I meant porch. No typo. :mrgreen:
So true.

:peace

boswell

#47 Post by boswell » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:20 am

The old adage: "Have a hit song and the lawsuits will follow" is alive and well.

Bryceybhoy

#48 Post by Bryceybhoy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:37 am

I wouldn't give Satch a hard time over this. He clearly feels he's been cheated. Heck, if I worked my ass off on a song and years later somebody copied it and made millions out of my song, I'd be pissed off. I feel for him.

HOWEVER....I do not think it's intentional. I think this is a massive coincidence. But how does a jury decide that? I wouldn't blame lawyers, either. It's too easy to come on here and say all lawyers are wankers.

I really hope he wins for the simple reason that I believe Chris Martin is Satan's spawn and was sent to earth to piss us all off.

Instrumentalrockrocks
Location: Rotterdam - Holland (well not really Oud-Beijerland actually but nobody knows that)

#49 Post by Instrumentalrockrocks » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:13 am

Bryceybhoy wrote: I really hope he wins for the simple reason that I believe Chris Martin is Satan's spawn and was sent to earth to piss us all off.
:lol: :lol:

count me in! 8)

Groove On 8)

lydian2000

#50 Post by lydian2000 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:07 am

boswell wrote:The old adage: "Have a hit song and the lawsuits will follow" is alive and well.

Although I believe it is true for most cases, I don't think that adage applies here. The very first time I heard that song I immediately made the connection, writing a simple popular melody is one of the most difficult things in my view, and this is obvious stealing.

I hate almost everything Joe has released over the last five years or so, and "if I could fly" was amongst the very few tracks I really enjoyed.

In interviews long before their latest album Coldplay have been saying they were very good at "borrowing", so they're in it for themselves.

boswell

#51 Post by boswell » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:37 pm

lydian2000 wrote:
Coldplay have been saying they were very good at "borrowing", so they're in it for themselves.

Show me an artist who isn't

Breeder

#52 Post by Breeder » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:42 pm

lydian2000

#53 Post by lydian2000 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:53 pm

...Steve Vai? Of course you will find traces of Ravel, zappa, randhy rhoads, EVH in some of his inflections here and there, but definitely not a full stolen melody.

I value original creation over copy.

On french Radio there is a program where EVERYDAY some music producer puts different "versions" of a song, most of his findings rely on chord progressions but the program is so popular it sometimes awake lawsuits. I disagree with most of his findings but none has been so obvious as this "satch vs coldplay".

Heck I don't even hate coldplay as I think it's acceptable pop, but they could have least been smart and tweak it a little more.

being influenced and stealing a complete melody are two different things, they even used the same tempo and "borrowed" other parts of the song too.

I personally think that "everything" has already been created in music, by that I mean the combinations of notes/chord patterns/progressions to form a music piece, that's precisely why I think it truly is so difficult to create a good simple popular melody that sounds original.

Last edited by lydian2000 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precario

#54 Post by precario » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:03 pm

lydian2000 wrote:On french Radio there is aprogram where EVERYDAY some music producer puts different "versions" of a song, but most of his finidngs rely on chord progression but the program is so popular it sometimes awake lawsuits. I disagree with most of his findings but none has been so obvious as this "satch vs coldplay".
This sounds interesting. What's the name of this show and can I listen to it online ? There used to be one quite similar to that over here, but they don't air it anymore..

Stephen Brown

#55 Post by Stephen Brown » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:17 pm

Pif

#56 Post by Pif » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:27 am

Bryceybhoy wrote:I really hope he wins for the simple reason that I believe Chris Martin is Satan's spawn and was sent to earth to piss us all off.
It's funny how I pictured Satan's spawn to be a little more charismatic than that.

sonny sixshooter

#57 Post by sonny sixshooter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:47 am

Pif wrote:
Bryceybhoy wrote:I really hope he wins for the simple reason that I believe Chris Martin is Satan's spawn and was sent to earth to piss us all off.
It's funny how I pictured Satan's spawn to be a little more charismatic than that.
I am also quite certain, that Satan's spawn would be able to write better music and lyrics than Coldplay.

StevieBoston
Newcomer

#58 Post by StevieBoston » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:56 am

I'm disgusted at Joe for this! What has the world come to?

I've been a big fan of Joe's music for many years, I thought this was a joke! I don't like coldplay I think they're pretty bland incase you think i'm biased. Where is the common sense in this?

If anything Joe and coldplay have both ripped off this french singer Alizee's track.

Money money money!

b2

#59 Post by b2 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:22 am

Do we remember the thread about the Steve Vai song "Tender Surrender" ?
http://www.vai.com/messageboard/viewtop ... 15&t=18445
Steve Vai says some word about this song on page 3 in this thread.

About Satriani... I just hope this does not take so long time to finish...
I have not heard so many Coldplay songs, but they have some song I like.
It is stupid to say thinks like "Coldplay sucks" og "Satriani sucks", I believe they
ar both good musicans. ALL PEOPLE ARE NICE! :D

Hey! Coldplay are comming to my hometown next summer, should I and a friend
take place near the entering and play "If I Could Fly" live for the audience? :D
Wonder what would happen... would not be shocked if Coldplay had smiled and maybe
also jammed with us...

PEACE!

Desert_Runner

#60 Post by Desert_Runner » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am

b2 wrote:ALL PEOPLE ARE NICE! :D
I'll try and remember that.