SATRIANI SUES COLDPLAY

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
wasoota

Re: SATRIANI SUES COLDPLAY

#31 Post by wasoota » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:05 am

Breeder wrote:
wasoota wrote:Lawyers are like napalm. Once you use them, the 'hearts and minds' issue becomes obsolete. It becomes about winning, not being right. Ask any Lawyer.
well I am to-be-lawyer and I believe "hear and mind" is never obsolete...I also believe music does not truly belong to anyone...
Frank Zappa wrote:A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians
So stop generalizing since it is mother of all fuck-ups
Well, I've been a lawyer for some 10 years now so I believe I've earned the right to a certain amount of generalization with respect to my trade. :mrgreen:

Believe me, you'll remember this thread a few years from now. If some vague form of "justice" or "hearing all sides of the argument" is what you're after, pursue a court career and stay away from trial lawyers. That's not how they operate.

lydian2000

#32 Post by lydian2000 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:32 am

wasoota

#33 Post by wasoota » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:48 am

So true. :lol: :peace

Breeder

#34 Post by Breeder » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:48 pm

wasoota wrote:
Well, I've been a lawyer for some 10 years now so I believe I've earned the right to a certain amount of generalization with respect to my trade. :mrgreen:
oh :mrgreen:

well if it would be my choice I would go for UN or some NGO :P
anyway...offtopic...so I˙`ll beat it :mrgreen:

Stephen Brown

#35 Post by Stephen Brown » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:29 pm

I have come to the conclusion that.........

It is none of my business.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#36 Post by Mikey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:07 pm

This from musicradar.com. It sounds as if Joe did his best to avoid the lawsuit but Coldplay wouldn't come to the table. Good for Joe - I hope he wins. This really isn't about Joe cashing in. It's about an artist protecting their intellectual property. I can only imagine how much it must have stung not only to have Coldplay rip off Joe's song, but then for it to get nominated for song of the year too. Outrageous!

Joe Satriani speaks about Coldplay lawsuit

A MusicRadar exclusive interview

Joe Bosso, Sun 7 Dec 2008, 9:58 pm UTC

As previously reported on MusicRadar, Joe Satriani is suing Coldplay, claiming the UK band's Grammy-nominated song Viva La Vida uses one of his melodies. In court papers filed on 4 December 2008, Satriani's legal team alleges Viva La Vida, the title track of Coldplay's current album, copies "substantial original portions" of his song If I Could Fly. Satriani's song was included on his 2004 album Is There Love In Space? Speaking exclusively to MusicRadar on 6 December, Joe Satriani recalls the exact emotion he felt when he first heard Coldplay's Viva La Vida. "The second I heard, I knew..."

"I felt like a dagger went right through my heart. It hurt so much," Satriani says. "The second I heard it, I knew it was [my own] If I Could Fly." As it turned out, Satriani wasn't the only one who noticed the similarity between If I Could Fly and Viva La Vida. "Almost immediately, from the minute their song came out, my e-mail box flooded with people going, 'Have you heard this song by Coldplay? They ripped you off man.' I mean, I couldn't tell you how many e-mails I received. "Everybody noticed the similarities between the songs. It's pretty obvious. It's as simple as that - when you listen to a song and you say, 'Wow, that's a real rip-off.'" What makes the situation especially painful for Satriani is that If I Could Fly isn't just any song. It's a composition he'd been laboring over for well over 10 years before he recorded it. "I started writing it on the Flying In A Blue Dream tour back in 1988. But because of the way I write, sometimes songs take a while, as this one did. In 2003 I started demoing it in earnest. I played it on the acoustic guitar on a demo so I could sing the melody, then I demoed it on electric to get the sound. And the performance turned out to be so spontaneous, so right and so emotional, that it wound up being a keeper."

Joe Satriani is suing Coldplay, alleging Viva La Vida uses his melody from If I Could Fly Satriani feels "really hurt"

Since If I Could Fly came out in 2004, Satriani has been gratified by the reaction it's received from his fans, many of whom have called it one of his most captivating songs. "That was the intent all along," he says. "It was a love letter to my wife, Rubina – a simple, direct expression of feeling. "That's what really hurts about this whole thing. That I spent so long writing the song, thinking about it, loving it, nursing it, and then finally recording it and standing on stages the world over playing it - and then somebody comes along and plays the exact same song and calls it their own." Since it was announced on 4 December 2008 that Satriani is suing Coldplay for alleged plagiarism, seeking a jury trial and "any and all profits" connected to Viva La Vida, his life has been turned upside down. "This has been the weirdest thing I've ever been involved in," he says. "The media attention has been bizarre and surreal. I really can't explain how I've felt over the past day or two." "I did everything I could to avoid a court case"

Satriani stresses that his motives are ruled by artistic purity and an overriding sense of right and wrong. "Everybody's assumes I'm trying to go after these guys in Coldplay, as if I'm doing this with malice," he says "That's the furthest thing from my mind. I'm just doing what I need to do as an artist, to protect what's mine, to protect those feelings I put down in song. "I did everything I could to avoid a court case with this situation. But Coldplay didn't want to talk about it. They just wanted this whole thing to go away. Maybe they figured this little guitar player guy will leave them alone after a while, I don't know. "But we're talking about a piece of art that I created, and that's something I feel is important. I think everybody should feel that way." And now, Satriani's team will ask a jury to decide.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...lawsuit-185914

Stephen Brown

#37 Post by Stephen Brown » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:41 pm

What if C.P have never heard JS's song? (just saying)

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#38 Post by Mikey » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:49 pm

They may not have intentionally copied it, but had heard it and subconsciously "written" it later.

The problem is that you can't prove that they didn't hear it - and they can't prove they didn't either.

I don't know - but I doubt it was a malicious rip-off.

Even so, if it's established that Joe did indeed write the hook of the song, then Joe stands to be compensated.

Mikey
vai.com

Stephen Brown

#39 Post by Stephen Brown » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:52 pm

I hope he wins.

Bryceybhoy

#40 Post by Bryceybhoy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:40 am

I don't think he'll win. It just seems far too wide of the mark for me. It's not an exact copy of the melody, just certain sections are slightly similar. You could say that for hundreds of songs these days, especially in rap music, where the vocal 'melodies' are extremely similar.

Good bit of PR for Joe, though, even if he fails.

Ant711UK

#41 Post by Ant711UK » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:54 am

Just to throw another spanner in the works...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G57CgtX-BsI

This predates both!

The law according to Berklee

http://akamai.www.berkleemusic.com/asse ... gement.pdf

wasoota

#42 Post by wasoota » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:25 am

There is no winner in these situations. They will both settle to avoid the horrendous US court and lawyer costs, sign an NDA, Satch gets his new porch and the pop-culture moniker "the artist most commonly known for having sued Coldplay over a chorus".

Actually, I kinda do see a winner there. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

@2:10 and following

al

#43 Post by al » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:15 am

Wow, he' so cynical and full of himself! he almost sounds like a bully too! :o

and he has a land rover, i don't think he's particularly into cars

wasoota

#44 Post by wasoota » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:50 am

al wrote:Wow, he' so cynical and full of himself! he almost sounds like a bully too! :o

and he has a land rover, i don't think he's particularly into cars
It's PR. You do that after every filing so you don't look quite so like the money-hungry tightass you usually are. Public exposure and pressure on the defendant will be a major factor in how much cash the settlement involves. Making the interview "exclusive" makes it further appear like the plaintiff would rather not talk about it, but circumstances "have forced him to set the record straight". *wipes tear from eye*

I've heard practically the same thing verbatim about leaves in the driveway, bubbling pool filters, creaking trampoline springs, noisy children. Incredible hardship. Grave suffering. Good Lawyers have templates.

You don't seriously believe he's saying anything at this stage without the explicit, word-for-word coaching of his lawyers? They told him to get out there and they timed so the lawsuit came right before, the interview right after the Grammy nominations for maximum effect. That's how it's done.

And no, I meant porch. No typo. :mrgreen:

al

#45 Post by al » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:09 am

Sounds like you've had bad experience with lawyers or something