Daft Punk

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Desert_Runner
Member
Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:28 am

Any Vai fans also Daft Punk fans?
User avatar
Instrumentalrockrocks
Member
Member
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:26 am

I'm a very very big fan!.... with the exception of their new work...

But Discovery is for me one of the greatest albums ever made... especially songs like 'Something About Us', Voyager and 'Digital Love'.... Great songs !!!!

Great melodies and tone...

A true masterpiece in my book!


Groove On 8)
Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am

Daft Punk makes me realize Kanye West is a genius

only Kanye could take an awful awful song (harder faster stronger) and make it a hit
User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am

I have a one of their albums and quite like it. I believe they went to school with 'Air' who I really like.
User avatar
Instrumentalrockrocks
Member
Member
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:26 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:I have a one of their albums and quite like it. I believe they went to school with 'Air' who I really like.
Air is great indeed

You should try Boards of Canada... a prefect example of how powerfull, interesting and beautiful sampled music can be!

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=LRVMPk5twvY
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=CmVtOnuPb1w

Great music! :P


Groove On 8)
User avatar
lydian2000
Member
Member
Posts: 1508
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:43 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:I have a one of their albums and quite like it. I believe they went to school with 'Air' who I really like.
They did. These gentlemen all went to the same highschool in Versailles(so did Alex Gopher and quite a few others from the "french touch") to the point that they're even labelled as the "Versailles school(way/movement)"

I myself prefer Air by far because they're real musicians and instrumentalists... A friend of mine who's an electronic music producer has been told by a record company(a big one) to make "some daft punk" .."because it sells" which he refused, denying himself a juicy deal. Because in the end it remains mainstream commercial music, no matter how good and cleverly crafted.

:peace
Desert_Runner
Member
Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:28 am

Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:I'm a very very big fan!.... with the exception of their new work...

But Discovery is for me one of the greatest albums ever made... especially songs like 'Something About Us', Voyager and 'Digital Love'.... Great songs !!!!

Great melodies and tone...

A true masterpiece in my book!


Groove On 8)
I have to agree. Discovery is their only album that I have, and those are all great songs. I also like "One More Time", it seemed a little cheesy when I first heard it, but I have to admit its very good at making me happy. They sound like the kind of act that would be a fun live show.

@Jeries: I'm sorry you can't enjoy it.

I'll have to check out Air and Boards of Canada.

Edit: I've just found out a little about BOC, I've seen those links and they're pretty good - Why are their albums so rare?

And BBB, which Daft Punk album do you have?
User avatar
Seraphim
Member
Member
Posts: 1832
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:16 pm

Desert_Runner wrote:Edit: I've just found out a little about BOC, I've seen those links and they're pretty good - Why are their albums so rare?
You mean Blue Oyster Cult?
User avatar
Instrumentalrockrocks
Member
Member
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:26 am

Desert_Runner wrote:
Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:I'm a very very big fan!.... with the exception of their new work...

But Discovery is for me one of the greatest albums ever made... especially songs like 'Something About Us', Voyager and 'Digital Love'.... Great songs !!!!

Great melodies and tone...

A true masterpiece in my book!


Groove On 8)
I'll have to check out Air and Boards of Canada.

Edit: I've just found out a little about BOC, I've seen those links and they're pretty good - Why are their albums so rare?
:? Dunno ... Most of the record stores have them here in Holland


Groove On 8)
Desert_Runner
Member
Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:28 am

Seraphim wrote:
Desert_Runner wrote:Edit: I've just found out a little about BOC, I've seen those links and they're pretty good - Why are their albums so rare?
You mean Blue Oyster Cult?
Boards of Canada.


Sorry, I couldn't tell if you were joking or not.
User avatar
Seraphim
Member
Member
Posts: 1832
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:16 pm

Desert_Runner wrote: Boards of Canada.
Sorry, I couldn't tell if you were joking or not.
No problem. I wasn't joking btw. Just asking if was Blue Oyster Cult, honest.
Cheers,
Anibal
User avatar
Seraphim
Member
Member
Posts: 1832
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:16 pm

... so, friday night, went to the music store and tryed to find some Daft Punk to listening, after reading this board... my girlfriend said: "I don't believe you want to listen that..." but I said "yes, I wanna, I wanna".
Don't have found any CD in the heavy metal section (my favorite :guitar :headbang ) or even on the punk or rock section. Ok, let me try the alternative section, and, nothing, then asked to the guy there, while my girlfriend laughing and laughing... he took me to the "dance and new tendencies" section and my face as like that ----> :?
When I listened, I took out the hearphones like this ------> :shock: and said "WFT" in Portuguese language of course.
My girlfriend said, "I knew that you don't like that" and wondered why I wanted to listen that and I said that was some vai.com members fault :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, music is music and tastes are tastes, and I do respect other tastes. At least, there are one song that I liked a bit, but I forget the name :|
Based in a true story.

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
User avatar
Instrumentalrockrocks
Member
Member
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:26 am

Seraphim wrote:... so, friday night, went to the music store and tryed to find some Daft Punk to listening, after reading this board... my girlfriend said: "I don't believe you want to listen that..." but I said "yes, I wanna, I wanna".
Don't have found any CD in the heavy metal section (my favorite :guitar :headbang ) or even on the punk or rock section. Ok, let me try the alternative section, and, nothing, then asked to the guy there, while my girlfriend laughing and laughing... he took me to the "dance and new tendencies" section and my face as like that ----> :?
When I listened, I took out the hearphones like this ------> :shock: and said "WFT" in Portuguese language of course.
My girlfriend said, "I knew that you don't like that" and wondered why I wanted to listen that and I said that was some vai.com members fault :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, music is music and tastes are tastes, and I do respect other tastes. At least, there are one song that I liked a bit, but I forget the name :|
Based in a true story.

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
There is only ONE album I like... the rest is for me rubbish.... wich one did you tried?
Try Discovery... it is really different than the other ones and I found it really good


Groove On 8)
User avatar
Seraphim
Member
Member
Posts: 1832
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:16 pm

Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:There is only ONE album I like... the rest is for me rubbish.... wich one did you tried?
Try Discovery... it is really different than the other ones and I found it really good
Groove On 8)
I'm still traumatized from that experience, that I already forgot the name of the album :o
Not sure if I'm ready for another Daft Punk experience... but I believe after some therapy I will gonna listen again :wink:
Then I let you know.
Thanks for the info and for the groove :wink:

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
User avatar
Instrumentalrockrocks
Member
Member
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:26 am

Seraphim wrote:
Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:There is only ONE album I like... the rest is for me rubbish.... wich one did you tried?
Try Discovery... it is really different than the other ones and I found it really good
Groove On 8)
I'm still traumatized from that experience, that I already forgot the name of the album :o
Not sure if I'm ready for another Daft Punk experience... but I believe after some therapy I will gonna listen again :wink:
Then I let you know.
Thanks for the info and for the groove :wink:

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
Hope you'll be able to enjoy it afterwards :wink:
and about the groove... For a drummer it's all about the groove (or at least it should be)!
That's why it is my new signature!

Groove On 8)
Post Reply