John 5-G3

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
StevieRayVai

I've been a fan of John's for about a year now. He's a truely amazing guitar player and all around good guy. I find it suprising he never did a solo tour, although he gets a solo spotlight with Rob Zombie in some shows. Anyways, I think it would be awesome if John was able to play in G3, playing his actual solo project songs. He certainly could achieve it. What do you guys think??
Jem-7vwh-agg

no
Jeries

he did a solo tour of guitar centers-
it was great

probably better than satches'

awesome G3 Candidate- Jennifer Batten
Bryceybhoy

Jem-7vwh-agg wrote:no
Nice and friendly.

Anyway, I'd like to see him do G3 as I think the whole G3 franchise needs a kick in the ass.

Personally, I'd like to see Richie Kotzen come in.
LoveBlood

Bryceybhoy wrote:
I think the whole G3 franchise needs a kick in the ass.

Personally, I'd like to see Richie Kotzen come in.
Mmhmm!
wasoota

Bryceybhoy wrote:
Anyway, I'd like to see him do G3 as I think the whole G3 franchise needs a kick in the ass.
I agree. Unfortunately, the kick in the ass I think it needs is to have someone who's more 'on fire' at the moment replace Satch (with all due respect).

And since he's apparently not really into the solo thing, I'm afraid I'd have to say Petrucci's time might have come as well (unless he puts out something fresh sometime soon. How many more years will he keep playing Glasgow Kiss?).

That said, I wish it actually was a franchise: Three great guitarists - and all three are up for rotation. Right now it should really be called "Joe Satriani and Friends". That's fine, but not nearly as interesting.
VAI05

Not my first choice [BUCKETHEAD], but I would not hate that either. He is a good guitarist.
GYiakoumi

G3 eh, someone new to G3 like: Govan, Howe, or Bettencourt would be my choice.

If Bodom's Alexi Laiho had some solo material, I'd say he would be able to do it also. I love his playing.
lydian2000

My Ideal G3 line-up: buckethead, paul gilbert, guthrie govan.

Yeah, I know.

:peace
Big Bad Bill

How about Jeff Beck (did anyone see his great Ronnie Scott's gig on BBC4 the other day? :shock: ) , George Lynch and Allan Holdsworth?
LoveBlood

Big Bad Bill wrote:How about Jeff Beck (did anyone see his great Ronnie Scott's gig on BBC4 the other day? :shock: ) , George Lynch and Allan Holdsworth?
MMM Jeff Beck of a friday night! mmhmm that was my last night a few of the old jazz fags and a jeff beck concert, you can watch it online btw.
Jeff Beck, Allan Holdsworth,Vai
G3 Line-up for 2009

Who's with me? :P
Big Bad Bill

Yeah, I'd be with you on that, but isn't G3 Satch's baby? So he has to be in on the act, unfortunately. I'd rather see Steve in his own concert-2 hours of guitar bliss rather than 45 minutes!
wasoota

And honestly, those overlong jams... they're not nearly as good as they ought to be. I don't think I watched the G3 2k7 jams more than twice (the Denver ones are even worse). They're objectively the most horrible cover versions I've ever seen commercially available and the solos are just endless, pointless noodling ("you go for two, then he goes and then I go for two" :roll: ). Way below their artistic level in so many ways. Satch should work something out that's worthy of the talent he assembles on stage or just give everyone one more song to play on their own instead.

Liquid Tension Experiment proved what real talent can achieve with little or no preparation. I'd like to see something on that level. If I want bad 15-minute cover of a Hendrix song I'll go to the local pub.
call_of_ktulu

BUCKETHEAD
call_of_ktulu

Buckethead, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani

or if there is a G4 there should be:

Buckethead, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani 8)