Are Musicians Tighter Now Than They Used To Be?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Ekim

I'm jamming along with the Zappa Plays Zappa DVD (badass, BTW) and I can't help but notice that when I see old footage of Zappa's various bands they're nowhere near as tight as this band.

Most old recordings are the same. The tightness just isn't there. The time just seems to be so loose that sometimes it just bug me to listen.

Why is that? Just higher standards today or what? Changing styles?

I'd like to hear what y'all think.

I'd REALLY like to hear what Steve thinks.
-SkiZ-

if you're talking about studio recordings, IMHO there are many factors nowadays that i think weren't there earlier.
-recordings are made in several takes and separately
-there is much use(and abuse) of compressors and the like
-record-selling is much more demanding so producers must be really really, i mean REALLY sure that the product is the best possible
-...i guess they took more drugs or something in them old days :roll:
GuitarStrings

Definitely.

Just compare nowadays' musicianship with the stuff from the 70s... or even the 80s. That's the natural development and will of "improving" of all human beings.
This happens to musicians, painters, football players etc... have you ever compared an old old football match to a modern one?

I think it's not just the improving of the technologies, it's something within us too.
Ekim

I was referring only to live shows, though often it includes studio work too.
al

dream theatre always leave me in awe with there ridiculously tight live shows, its insane

+ during recording everything is edited to bits and processed nowadays, but for live, yeah they are better nowadays
boswell

I think bands are much tighter, skill levels are higher than they used to be and audience expectation is greater.

However tightness isn't everything the "energy", unpredictability, spontaneity and stage prescence is what make a gig truly "awesome".

I saw a support act a few months ago who were tighter than Dave Lee Roth's Spandex, their original songs were excellent but I've forgotten their name and songs because they were down right boring, no stage prescence or personality. Metronome precision is only a tiny portion of what makes a band great.
Seraphim

Just one question, to clarify if I have translated the word "tigther" to my language correctly...

"you mean, close to each other?" "everyone interactiong with each other?" or any similar?

Thanks in advance (once more publicity to Bryan Beller ner CD :mrgreen: )

Anyway, monday morning and my brain is in slow motion :x

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
boswell

We mean the rhythm/timing is precise, as one.
guyver_dio

Less lifestyle, more emphasis on the music I guess.

One band that comes to mind for being a prime example of this is muse. I watched a live concert of them the other day and the sound quality and synchronicity of the band was flawless. The singing was even so precise to the recordings it was a little suspicious lol. The amount of gadgets and mods that singer had in each guitar not to mention what effects he would of had at his feet to replicate each song would drive anyone towards a mental breakdown lol. All that shit to switch on and off at the correct moments aswell as keep such good timing and sing without messing up anything is unbelievable. I'd like to know how much of it actually was live and how much was pre-recorded because if that was totally live, that's freckin impressive.
Desert_Runner

I think guitarists are also a lot more tight than they used to be. Back in the old days (before the 80s) rock guitar solos were a lot simpler, mostly just pentatonic blues stuff and they didnt have to be that tight on the fast stuff. Maybe people are just less impressed nowadays.
777lovein

Not all, you know all people are diffenrend :lol:
Guitaruss

The credit crunch is forcing everyone to become a lot tighter whether they like it or not...being a scotsman myself i've always been tight tho.
Ekim

Can we stay on subject?

With "tight" I was referring specifically to the timing of the musicians and how well they play together.

I'll come out and say it: the level of the musicianship in the ZPZ band outright destroys any FZ live recording I've ever heard.

I would bet none of the ZPZ musicians would never agree with that. But that's my opinion.
ClarkyNZ

Guitaruss wrote:The credit crunch is forcing everyone to become a lot tighter whether they like it or not...being a scotsman myself i've always been tight tho.
:lol:
lydian2000

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=lWktQi9fwW4

00.52 :wink:

now back on topic, I agree with your comment on FZ's musicians back in the day....Steve himself mentioned three-month-rehearsals, and that says it all.

But what is also true is we are nowadays used to excellent performances, and the bar has never been raised so high. Take last EVH tour for instance, judging form the odd youtube vid here and there I wd say eddie performed spot on, and probably played much tighter than back in the day, but I could be wrong.

:peace