Any opinions on a Vai Jazz CD ?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
molgolsonden

When I listen to Noah's Ark Makes me think hmmmm, new direction.
VAI05

I don't know, when they are messing around on Alive In An Ultra World, he tells them to stop this instant that sounds too much like jazz?
prman

I think that we`ll all be happier if Steve just sticks to Steve Vai Music. Even if his influences are wide and varied, in all respect, I don`t think that he`ll be such a great jazz player or even a jazzrock (= fusion) player. Steve has such a strong and unique voice in his instrument that he is at his best when he`s doing what he is: a guy playing Steve Vai Music.

BUT what I would like to hear is an acoustic album. Not just acoustic renditions of his previous works (like on Piano Reductions) but all new Steve Vai Music written for acoustic band/ensemble. Think how awesome are "Burning Down The Mountain", "I`m Your Secrets" and "Rescue Me Or Bury Me"...
lydian7

I'm all for it! Only one problem however...Vai hates jazz. ;)

I know I recorded that rendition of Christmas Time is Here, and Tender Surrender has some extremely jazzy super-locrian moments, but he has commented a few times in concerts ("stop, stop this instant...that sounds like jazz!"), or in interviews (the one with Tom Morrello springs to mind), that he's not really 'into' jazz.

I think it would just be cool if Vai sticks to his artistic vision and integrity; nobody approaches music the way he does, both compositionally and performatively. I'd really like to here a subdued album from him though. Imagine an entire album of 7th songs? :shock:
Desert_Runner

Oh! I thought this thread was about some other musician doing jazzed-up Vai covers. That would be cool.
lydian2000

lydian7 wrote:Imagine an entire album of 7th songs? :shock:
Vai.com wrote:“The 7th Song - Enchanting Guitar Melodies, Archives Vol. 1”
Release Date: November 11, 2000
Catalog: Epic Records/Sony Music EK85182
Produced by: Steve Vai

TRACKLISTING:
01. For The Love Of God
02: Touching Tongues
03: Windows To The Soul
04: Burnin’ Down The Mountain
05: Tender Surrender
06: Hand On Heart
07: Melissa's Garden*
08: Call It Sleep
09: Christmas Time Is Here
10: The Wall Of Light*
11: Boston Rain Melody*

ALBUM NOTES: Vai Archives is a series of discs that can house tracks that contain anything from minor contributions that Steve has made to various other artists’ records, to bootlegs, B-sides, vault tapes and reshaped extrapolations of Steve's past catalog. It's sort of like a golden scrap pile. Devour it with a silver spoon.

Says Steve is this album:

“Traditionally, I have made the 7th song on all my CDs the mellifluous guitar ballad that serves the melody on a silver platter. In numerology, the number 7 is shrouded in mystique. In a record sequence, it has always felt like the sweet spot. These songs are more devotional in nature than technical. They are a reflection of one man’s desire to expose a glimmer of the depth of his longing for spiritual communion.”
From: http://www.vai.com/AllAboutSteve/discog ... _solo.html

:peace
Desert_Runner

I think he meant a new album, full of new music, in which every song was a mellifluous guitar ballad that serves the melody on a silver platter.
PSD

Desert_Runner wrote:Oh! I thought this thread was about some other musician doing jazzed-up Vai covers. That would be cool.
God no, don't let that ever happen. Vai elevator music would be a brutal assault to the original.
lydian7

lydian2000 wrote:
lydian7 wrote:Imagine an entire album of 7th songs? :shock:
Vai.com wrote:“The 7th Song - Enchanting Guitar Melodies, Archives Vol. 1”
Release Date: November 11, 2000
Catalog: Epic Records/Sony Music EK85182
Produced by: Steve Vai

TRACKLISTING:
01. For The Love Of God
02: Touching Tongues
03: Windows To The Soul
04: Burnin’ Down The Mountain
05: Tender Surrender
06: Hand On Heart
07: Melissa's Garden*
08: Call It Sleep
09: Christmas Time Is Here
10: The Wall Of Light*
11: Boston Rain Melody*

ALBUM NOTES: Vai Archives is a series of discs that can house tracks that contain anything from minor contributions that Steve has made to various other artists’ records, to bootlegs, B-sides, vault tapes and reshaped extrapolations of Steve's past catalog. It's sort of like a golden scrap pile. Devour it with a silver spoon.

Says Steve is this album:

“Traditionally, I have made the 7th song on all my CDs the mellifluous guitar ballad that serves the melody on a silver platter. In numerology, the number 7 is shrouded in mystique. In a record sequence, it has always felt like the sweet spot. These songs are more devotional in nature than technical. They are a reflection of one man’s desire to expose a glimmer of the depth of his longing for spiritual communion.”
From: http://www.vai.com/AllAboutSteve/discog ... _solo.html

:peace
I mean completely new compositions on an album exclusively made of ballads, hence all "7th songs". Each track could be numbered 7.

Track listing:

...you get the point. :wink:
lydian7

Desert_Runner wrote:I think he meant a new album, full of new music, in which every song was a mellifluous guitar ballad that serves the melody on a silver platter.
Bingo.
PSD

lydian7 wrote:
Desert_Runner wrote:I think he meant a new album, full of new music, in which every song was a mellifluous guitar ballad that serves the melody on a silver platter.
Bingo.
That's not jazz, as the original thread title states.
ClarkyNZ

Check out "Race with Devil on Turkish Highway" on YouTube or something, or even better, buy Al Di Meola's album "The Infinite Desire". Jazz can be cool, and Steve can 'handle the jandal' no worries. :wink:

If you still don't think Jazz can rock, you must check out the 'shredding' on 'Friday Night in San Francisco' with Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin & Paco DeLucia. :shock:
jdnmusic

Jazz is some of my favorite music and to be honest I would rather Steve do his own thing. Something about dive bombs, high speed picking and screaming solos on top of an upright bass walking a ii-V7-I progression doesn't settle very well with me.
lydian7

jdnmusic wrote:Jazz is some of my favorite music and to be honest I would rather Steve do his own thing. Something about dive bombs, high speed picking and screaming solos on top of an upright bass walking a ii-V7-I progression doesn't settle very well with me.
Wait, isn't that Jazz fusion? :lol:
lydian7

ClarkyNZ wrote:Check out "Race with Devil on Turkish Highway" on YouTube or something, or even better, buy Al Di Meola's album "The Infinite Desire". Jazz can be cool, and Steve can 'handle the jandal' no worries. :wink:

If you still don't think Jazz can rock, you must check out the 'shredding' on 'Friday Night in San Francisco' with Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin & Paco DeLucia. :shock:
Also check out Steve's 'Christmas Time is Here'. He's definately competent enough to pull off jazz, as it were (no pun intended!). The question is, does he want to?