that not-so-guitar-centered music

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
another virtuoso

i know surely we listen to things other than our guitar hero music, so i'd like to hear what you guys are into.

a couple of my favorites as of late have been:
Modest Mouse
Death Cab
Avett Brothers
Ween
Neutral Milk Hotel
Iron and Wine
Bright Eyes

over the past few months i've soaked myself in a lot of new (to me) music like this. at first i didn't get it. where are the badass guitar solos? then the more i listened the more i began to get it. my introduction to music was through guitar, so thats always been my main center of focus when criticizing new music, but others approach it differently and are more concerned with other aspects and upon realizing this and listening to new things with open ears and trying to understand where the artist is coming from rather than just the guitar player, i've been opened up to a whole new world of music that previously i could not fully appreciate.

i'm sure many of you hate indie, alt. rock, folk, etc. but for those of you who are into that stuff too, tell me some new bands to check out!
lydian2000

goldfrapp their album "felt mountain"is amazing... of all the things I'm listening to this is the one album where everything is perfect..not the usual couple of tracks that you skip...all of them are great.

thats all I can think of now, because I'm very tired!

:peace
guitarmanK1982

Death Cab For Cutie are great.

Try 'Dance Gavin Dance' - they write some good stuff, and also have interesting, multi-layered guitar parts (but the guitar isn't really the focus of the music, hence I mention this particular band).

:)
llamahead

i also like iron and wine

but it's something about the guitar that just speaks to me.

if there's no cool guitar i prolly won't like it, though i try to be open minded
VAI05

A band that has been in my top 5 for years is Emerson Lake & Palmer. Very keyboard oriented band. I love them. About 5 years ago a buddy at work got me to listen to a little country music. I like Martina Mcbride & George Strait pretty well. The nephew got me listening to Dave Matthews Band also. But for the most part it's Vai, Satriani, Johnny Winter, Buckethead, Yngwie Malmsteen, Lamb of God, anything Max Cavalera etc.
StevieRayVai

Interpol
Bloc Party
Arcade Fire
Calla
Midtown
Brand New
Blonde Redhead
Depeche Mode
Deftones
Editors
Louis XIV
At the drive-in
Less Than Jake
Goldfinger
Homegrown
Afghan Whigs
Gutter Twins

and a lot more, those are pretty much my tops though. I listen to so much guitar stuff with Vai and SRV of course, but my passion away from that is Post-Punk like Interpol, Editors, Joy Division, etc.
Desert_Runner

Sigur Ros
Coldplay
The Divine Comedy
The Flaming Lips
Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Orbital
Alabama 3 (slightly)
Tom Waits

Theres probably some more I can't remember just now.
hush

another virtuoso wrote:i know surely we listen to things other than our guitar hero music, so i'd like to hear what you guys are into.

a couple of my favorites as of late have been:
Modest Mouse
Death Cab
Avett Brothers
Ween
Neutral Milk Hotel
Iron and Wine
Bright Eyes

over the past few months i've soaked myself in a lot of new (to me) music like this. at first i didn't get it. where are the badass guitar solos? then the more i listened the more i began to get it. my introduction to music was through guitar, so thats always been my main center of focus when criticizing new music, but others approach it differently and are more concerned with other aspects and upon realizing this and listening to new things with open ears and trying to understand where the artist is coming from rather than just the guitar player, i've been opened up to a whole new world of music that previously i could not fully appreciate.

i'm sure many of you hate indie, alt. rock, folk, etc. but for those of you who are into that stuff too, tell me some new bands to check out!
Hey another virtuoso and all,

for my part I just can't seem to get into non guitar driven music. While I try to keep an open (I'm very open-minded in general), it just doesn't work.

The only non guitar driven music I got into was:
The Calling
Some Pan Flute and Drums
Some World Music
A select few soundtrack

Any suggestions to open up my appreciation?

hush
StevieRayVai

Desert_Runner wrote:Sigur Ros
Coldplay
The Divine Comedy
The Flaming Lips
Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Orbital
Alabama 3 (slightly)
Tom Waits

How are Pink Floyd and King Crimson not guitar solo oriented...?
Desert_Runner

StevieRayVai wrote:
Desert_Runner wrote:Sigur Ros
Coldplay
The Divine Comedy
The Flaming Lips
Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Orbital
Alabama 3 (slightly)
Tom Waits

How are Pink Floyd and King Crimson not guitar solo oriented...?
Well, they're not nearly as guitar centred as Vai, Satch etc. I think I'm talking about King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King" era (Fripp, Giles, Lake, McDonald, Sinfield), heavy on the mellotron and acoustic guitar. Also, I'm pretty sure Pink Floyd have at least one song without a guitar solo.

Also, I'd like to add Focus to that list.
another virtuoso

hush wrote:
Any suggestions to open up my appreciation?

hush
Hush, i have listened to several different kinds of genres of music that i wasn't a big fan of just to try to get at least something out of it. i went on a pop (*gasp*) kick for a few weeks a couple years ago just to listen to what it was all about. i still have a strong distaste for what 90% of pop stars out there are all about, but i did find a lot of really cool melodies that i can whistle :lol:

the bands interesting me right now for the most part aren't music theory geniuses or anything, but they do have a few things in common. 1) creativity 2) originality 3) the mindset of having the end result being a cool song

here's why i like these bands so much
Modest Mouse - very, very orginal plus the guitar tracks are oddly different
Death Cab - incredible melodies in just about every song, 1 of my very favorite bands right now
Avett Brothers - kinda country but very different from the country top 40 radio shit, very raw and aggresive
Ween - reminds me of frank zappa. HILARIOUS. really creative song writing and arrangements, comical lyrics, & lots of variety in their music from song to song
Neutral Milk Hotel - bare bones indie/folk music, interesting themes, and a really unique sound
Iron and Wine - so relaxing, an awesome song writer
Bright Eyes - the front man of this band Connor Oberst is an absolutely amazing songwriter and singer. his lyrics are like stories and he is very, very good with words. i've got tickets for his solo tour in september that i'm really looking forward to

borrow some cds, download, break into a music warehouse, or do whatever it is you do to get music and just listen to the albums a few times and let it grow on you a little bit. you'll find some bands that you can't really get into while others you end up really liking a whole lot for all kinds of different reasons.
-SkiZ-

meshuggah (guitars are important but it's not guitar-centered)
the mars volta
pain of salvation
ozric tentacles
jordan rudess (i don't like dream theater but rudess' solo albums are nice)
a lot of videogame music
hush

the bands interesting me right now for the most part aren't music theory geniuses or anything, but they do have a few things in common. 1) creativity 2) originality 3) the mindset of having the end result being a cool song
I completely agree. If they're unique in some way (even with commercial/conventional elements) and genuine, they've got my attention.
borrow some cds, download, break into a music warehouse, or do whatever it is you do to get music and just listen to the albums a few times and let it grow on you a little bit. you'll find some bands that you can't really get into while others you end up really liking a whole lot for all kinds of different reasons.
Thanks.

I do tend to listen to A LOT of samples on various sites (amazon, myspace, allmusic) but they're just that, samples. Kind of hard to let a sample grow on you.

I'll check out your suggestions.

hush