Ugh...just looked at a few lists of best selling albums.

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
GuitarBizarre

The world is in a sorry sorry state. The Soundtrack to 'the bodyguard' has sold more copies since release than Dark Side of the Moon. There isn't a single important rock album other than DSOTM in the top ten best selling albums, however Celine Dion is there twice.

Don't believe me? Google a year since 2000 with 'best selling albums'

You will be HORRIFIED.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

It's a mistake to equate sales figures with quality.

Mikey
vai.com
<Mike>

I don't think he did.
And imo I wouldn't care if I was the only one who had bought a specific album and everyone else had bought another, if I'd liked the album then I would listen to it.
lydian2000

GuitarBizarre wrote:The world is in a sorry sorry state. The Soundtrack to 'the bodyguard' has sold more copies since release than Dark Side of the Moon. There isn't a single important rock album other than DSOTM in the top ten best selling albums, however Celine Dion is there twice.

You will be HORRIFIED.
Well I'd be happy to finally find a link which actually indicates the number of records actually sold by any artist, since it's apparently easier to rob Fort Knox than to find out (for example)how many copies of satriani's latest album were sold.

there is an undeniable crisis in the music industry, and oddly enough what was not so long ago ("Charts figures") out in the open has now become very secret, coincidence?(I'd just like to be proven wrong)

The only thing I found is a wikipedia link(talking about reliable information lol): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_be ... _worldwide

To be honest I think that list isn't that horrible, and of course I'have never judged any artist by their record sales.
Big Bad Bill

GuitarBizarre wrote:The Soundtrack to 'the bodyguard' has sold more copies since release than Dark Side of the Moon.
It makes you wonder why this is the case. I wonder whether its the catastrophic decline in music education at school, and by this I mean academic music education as well as the fun stuff. On the other hand, maybe this has always been the case. For example, when 20th Century music was developing and coming to fruition-Stravinsky et al. - it was this song was amongst the most popular with the general public of 'Great' Britain! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rpBAZEVHmI
lydian2000

"And IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII will always LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" just thinking of that song....it's so bad that when it's being played on the radio or worse in a shop, I have to leave the premises before I either break things or become dangerous...did I say I hate this song?

It would make an excellent alternative to waterboarding though.

:peace
boswell

Popular always has and always will mean a product has to be diluted for the taste to appeal to the generally ignorant mass market.

Take food as an example:

What sells more? McDonalds burgers or Chateaubriand of beef fillet? Which tastes the best, the Chateaubriand? I suppose that depends on your upbringing, wealth etc.

McDonalds as a quick bought on the run snack/Pop music tap your steering wheel to it while driving.

Chateaubriand savoured with a fine wine with friends/"Real" music savoured with the mood lighting and drug of your choice.

as for what lydian2000 said about "music industry in crisis" I hope so because the big companies have been crippling musical inovation for too long.
Real_Confusions

It's also been a lot easier for exposure and such for new releases. I mean, when Dark Side of the Moon came out in the 70s, music didn't have the promotional avenues we have, today.

The same can also be said with movies. I once heard that, though Star Wars: A New Hope isn't on the top of the best selling movie list, if one were to allot for the changes in the past several years (inflation, for one), then it would dramatically top the charts. Come on, we all know it's better than Titanic.
boswell

Real_Confusions wrote:I once heard that, though Star Wars: A New Hope isn't on the top of the best selling movie list, if one were to allot for the changes in the past several years (inflation, for one), then it would dramatically top the charts. Come on, we all know it's better than Titanic.
I dunno neither are masterpieces of movie making!
GuitarBizarre

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[/vader]
GuitarStrings

GuitarBizarre wrote:The world is in a sorry sorry state. The Soundtrack to 'the bodyguard' has sold more copies since release than Dark Side of the Moon. There isn't a single important rock album other than DSOTM in the top ten best selling albums, however Celine Dion is there twice.

You will be HORRIFIED.
C'mon!

Celine Dion : Female Vocals = Steve Vai : Electric Guitar.

GuitarBizarre

I'm afraid I must disagree there.

Besides, as much as i love steve he tends to go off on a bit too much of a self indulgent atonal wacky noises bent too often for my liking. I'd much rather listen to Guthrie Govan these days.
Azrael

It's also important to understand that obscurity doesn't denote talent either. Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason (one of my favorite cds) was RIAA 4x Platinum, BPI Gold, and CRIA 3x Platinum. Sometimes good music is enjoyed by the masses.
TheOtnip

boswell wrote:Popular always has and always will mean a product has to be diluted for the taste to appeal to the generally ignorant mass market.

Take food as an example:

What sells more? McDonalds burgers or Chateaubriand of beef fillet? Which tastes the best, the Chateaubriand? I suppose that depends on your upbringing, wealth etc.

McDonalds as a quick bought on the run snack/Pop music tap your steering wheel to it while driving.

Chateaubriand savoured with a fine wine with friends/"Real" music savoured with the mood lighting and drug of your choice.

as for what lydian2000 said about "music industry in crisis" I hope so because the big companies have been crippling musical inovation for too long.
I don't need to be stoned or have the lights dimmed to listen to "real" music...

But I agree, music on the radio is shallow and it's hard to take people seriously who have the top 20 on their ipod with 20 listens each because in my frame of mind the music you make and choose to listen to reflects your inner being and such.

Radio music may suck, but I guess it is still music. Hip Hop and Rap aren't, since as far as I'm concerned, music is about the sound and the musicianship.
lydian2000

TheOtnip wrote: Radio music may suck, but I guess it is still music. Hip Hop and Rap aren't, since as far as I'm concerned, music is about the sound and the musicianship.
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq3_3p2NnlA

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and..... the Dutch."-Nigel Powers, in AUSTIN POWERS 3: GOLDMEMBER