Looking for revenge!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
bluesbreaker

Looking for revenge!

#1 Post by bluesbreaker » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:00 am

OK. the title says it all. Here's what happened:
2 years ago when my aunt came back for a visit (she lives in POrtland OR) I showed her my Eric Johnson's Austin City Limits DVD. Since she is a music teacher so I thought she might appreciate it. But no...........here's her reaction:
"I just can't stand the sound of electric guitar. It's so shrill and painful to my ears! And the music is simply nonsense and this guy's playing is so bland. Why the announcer said he's one of the most incredible guitarrist around in all-styles of music? It's simply pathetic!"
What she saw? Righteous, Steve's Boggie, and the first couple of minutes of Trail of Tears. As you might think what she said did offended me a little, and when she's coming back this summer I wanna show her something that really makes her jaw drop. Any recommendation?

GuitarBizarre

#2 Post by GuitarBizarre » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:08 pm

She sounds stuck up, play her some Michael Hedges. I reccomend 'Because its there' and his live version of Point A to point B.

Theres also Tommy Emmanuels playing on Bella Soave and Can't say goodbye, both of which are absolutely beautiful songs. After that you might want to play some more active stuff like petteri sariolas 'prime', and after that move onto the electric stuff. I agree with her about the blandness also. I enjoy many manoy players who are excellent writers and musicians, but lets be honest, its not as if they push the boundaries much when it comes to backings. I'm hesistant to reccomend it, but in terms of some aspects, guthrie govan would be very musically engaging for a music teacher.

Also, if you're looking for more mellow electric guitar oriented music, I have a couple of songs I could easily record for you that she may appreciate, seeing as they very much based around strange movements as opposed to lead lines.
Although very slightly, from my perspective, it seems as though you're forcing things down her throat that are YOUR taste and have absolutely no bearing on the aspects of guitar playing she may not lknow about but will probably like. Pretty much everyone loves an acoustic guitar over a distorted one unless they already have a prediliction towards the distorted sound.

notavirtuoso

#3 Post by notavirtuoso » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:28 pm

Personally, I would go the other way. Play her something downright evil and heavy as it seems you won't be impressing her anyway. That is if you decide to play her anything at all.

GuitarBizarre

#4 Post by GuitarBizarre » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:09 pm

Thats one of those things that sounds as if its going to be hilarious until you actually do it and its not...at all.

thejonesfactor

#5 Post by thejonesfactor » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:12 pm

What about SOUND THEORIES?

Ocatavarium- DT

al

#6 Post by al » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:28 pm

what a douche

Guitaruss

#7 Post by Guitaruss » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm guessing some Rusty cooley wouldnt go down very well then...umm no , i wouldnt bother playing her anything

JEMdjole
Newcomer

#8 Post by JEMdjole » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:41 pm

Steve Vai-Bad Horse,video,not just the track...lol

GYiakoumi

#9 Post by GYiakoumi » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:53 pm

Make her listen to 'The Audience Is Listening' :D and then compare her to the teacher in the video haha

bluesbreaker

#10 Post by bluesbreaker » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:25 pm

GuitarBizarre wrote:She sounds stuck up, play her some Michael Hedges. I reccomend 'Because its there' and his live version of Point A to point B.

Theres also Tommy Emmanuels playing on Bella Soave and Can't say goodbye, both of which are absolutely beautiful songs. After that you might want to play some more active stuff like petteri sariolas 'prime', and after that move onto the electric stuff. I agree with her about the blandness also. I enjoy many manoy players who are excellent writers and musicians, but lets be honest, its not as if they push the boundaries much when it comes to backings. I'm hesistant to reccomend it, but in terms of some aspects, guthrie govan would be very musically engaging for a music teacher.

Also, if you're looking for more mellow electric guitar oriented music, I have a couple of songs I could easily record for you that she may appreciate, seeing as they very much based around strange movements as opposed to lead lines.
Although very slightly, from my perspective, it seems as though you're forcing things down her throat that are YOUR taste and have absolutely no bearing on the aspects of guitar playing she may not lknow about but will probably like. Pretty much everyone loves an acoustic guitar over a distorted one unless they already have a prediliction towards the distorted sound.
oh yea, I have Michael Hedges' Aerial Boundaries, so it might do the trick.
I actually kinda figures out after that incident that she doesn't like electrics at all whether clean or overdriven, unless if you are playing clean jazz with neck 'bucker with tone knob rolled down. So Pat Metheny may be the solution too.
I actually didn't know that she deslikes rock guitar at that time but now I know. I just wanted to share what I like just for fun, and I did not expect that she loves it. But hell, I didn't expect that she had such negative things to say about EJ! Maybe she couldn't see the virtuosity of EJ because the music is too simple for her? I dont' know. But I am sure that she won't like any "easy" music and/or music driven by distorted guitar. So..........Steve is out, and so are Dream Theater, EJ, Satch, Govan, you name it.
But not all music teachers are looking for and expecting theoretically dificcult music. After all music is not about technical virtuosity nor complex theories!

ClarkyNZ

#11 Post by ClarkyNZ » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:24 pm

thejonesfactor wrote:What about SOUND THEORIES?
+1 :D

sonny sixshooter

#12 Post by sonny sixshooter » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 am

She's lost. Doomed, i tell ya! There's nothing you can do, don't waste your precious music (not to mention time) on people like that. Just remember, that while you're playing air guitar to Steve's music, she is sitting at home knitting, listening ti James Last, and cursing "that Devil music!". I ask you this, who is better of?

guyver_dio

#13 Post by guyver_dio » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:19 am

You could be a real bastard by asking her to bring a CD or DVD of something she likes and begin tearing apart every aspect of it lol. Sound like she just will dismiss any electric guitar player no matter who it is because of the sound, although eric johnson has one of the nicest rounded tones ever, I really couldn't suggest anyone better, it's about as far from shrill in electric guitar as you could get lol. She's probably like an enya fan or something, just search pussy farts in google and show her that, probably get her foot tappin.

sunai

#14 Post by sunai » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:40 am

+1

bluesbreaker

#15 Post by bluesbreaker » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:30 am

guyver_dio wrote:You could be a real bastard by asking her to bring a CD or DVD of something she likes and begin tearing apart every aspect of it lol. Sound like she just will dismiss any electric guitar player no matter who it is because of the sound, although eric johnson has one of the nicest rounded tones ever, I really couldn't suggest anyone better, it's about as far from shrill in electric guitar as you could get lol. She's probably like an enya fan or something, just search pussy farts in google and show her that, probably get her foot tappin.
Thanx for the inputs.
I am not close to her, so I don;t really familiar of what she usually listen to. But I know she likes chamber music and piano/violin concerto/sonata in term of classical music, while she doesn't care for symphonic pieces and totally hates opera. Outside of classical, I assume she likes smooth jazz, since she mentioned that she likes Diana Krall. So, as for the latter, do you guys think I can show her some videos of Allan Holdsworth?
Oh yes, as you might have noticed, she's incredibly difficult to please.