On A Top10 Where Can You Put Mr Vai ???

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Erit
Newcomer

:twisted: My Quetion Is: On A Top10 Where Can You Put Mr Vai.

The Top Ten Is About The Greatest Guitar Players In The History Of The World.

:twisted:
holzwurm

pawel

Number 1. ex aequo with Jeff Beck ;)
ibzguitarist

ahem.. 1.
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Hmm!? I'll probably change this, because I'm quite a mess right now, but on first thought, I'd go with:

Andres Segovia
Buckethead
Steve Vai
Tommy Emmanuel
Al Di Meola
Michael Hedges
John Fahey
Tony Iommi
David Gilmour...& whoever the F*#k else?So I guess at this moment Mr. Vai is #3. :?
Azyiu

It is such a subjective matter, let's just say Dr.Vai is among some of the tops on my list.
Zebula77

Oh, he might be right at the top spot there, altho my favourite guitarists changes from time to time. My top ten would be, in no special order:
Eddie Van Halen,
Steve Vai,
Jimi Hendrix,
Jeff Beck,
Joe Satriani,
SRV

..ok, those are my DEFINITE top six, hehe. The last four would be something like
Marty Friedman,
Gary Moore,
Matthias IA Eklundh and maybe I dunno
Dimebag Darrel, possibly.

But those last four change around a bit. :P
jagoda

I have several favorite guitar players. I can't decide which one is my favorite. Anyway, some of them, in no particular order, are...

Steve Vai
Scott Gorham
The Edge
John Sykes
VAI05

Alot of great guitar players out there past & present. But IMO, no one touches Steve Vai :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar

NUMBER 1
VAI05

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher wrote:Hmm!? I'll probably change this, because I'm quite a mess right now, but on first thought, I'd go with:

Andres Segovia
Buckethead
Steve Vai
Tommy Emmanuel
Al Di Meola
Michael Hedges
John Fahey
Tony Iommi
David Gilmour...& whoever the F*#k else?So I guess at this moment Mr. Vai is #3. :?
I have been jamming to some Buckethead lately. He kicks some major ass also.
GuitarBizarre

Impossible to say. There are many guitarists who are technically better than vai or better songwriters or even in my opinion both, but its impossible to compare so many different styles of music to each other.
ARTUR CABANAS
Newcomer

Number 1, at the same level of many others.
guyver_dio

vai always seems completely free to me when he plays guitar, playful, experimental, shredder, melodic, natural. He's the only guy to me that can literally talk through his guitar. In that respect to me he's probably the best developed guitarist in the world. In terms of writing it comes and goes with vai. He's been apart of some really momentous and memorable tunes in bands he's been with and even under his own label but sometimes and more recently the songs have been great and all but seem a bit monotonous, I'm sure that's just my taste though and he'll bring out something in the future that'll catch my interest again. He's certainly high in my list of favourite guitarists but I dunno about #1, I can't really put them in order, there are some guitarists I like better in different ways for instance I prefer Neil Schon's phrasing over vai's.
Booligan

maybe 6th / 7th. when he improvises he´s not even in my top 10 tho :lol:
Zebula77

I think he varies in that area, just like everybody. I've heard some improvs of his that are better than any of the studio solos of his and at the same time I've heard improvd solos that really aren't that impressive.

I think you'll have that with any musician tho.