Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
GuitarAlien7

Does any body know what the lyrics are when he's using the voice box.
I got "i wanna rock, i wanna rock, i wanna rock like a ________"

Thanks 8)
Seraphim

wasoota wrote:You see, my point is that long ago, Satriani was not a matter of taste but simply required listening. But if someone asked you now "Hey, Joe Satriani, what three albums should I listen to?" Would any of the last three be among them?
Good point. Only bought the last Joe cd yesterday and only heared once while I was driving. So, for now I only got the impression of the 1st impact and to make the review properly need to listen more times in a diferent places. Meanwhile, for me, I already have three albums choice ages ago. The last three is not among them but doesn't mean that I don't like it. Is good to listen once in a while.
Meanwhile I'm listening at work my mp3 of Satriani songs that I have make a choice to put on it. It goes from Borg Sex to Woodstock Jam passing with all the trully classics for me, the intire "FIABD" "Extremist" and "Joe's" album!!!

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
al

I wana learn to rock with you?
wasoota

"I wanna learn how to rock and roll"? - Funny, I never thought it was anything else.

Such a shame that song. I actually like the opening quite a bit, but it gets so bad so fast. Completely runs out of ideas right after the intro. The rest of the song seems quickly tossed together and it should have been a 'Bonus Track' or even a free download for pre-orders or something. :(
GuitarAlien7

wasoota wrote:"I wanna learn how to rock and roll"? - Funny, I never thought it was anything else.

Such a shame that song. I actually like the opening quite a bit, but it gets so bad so fast. Completely runs out of ideas right after the intro. The rest of the song seems quickly tossed together and it should have been a 'Bonus Track' or even a free download for pre-orders or something. :(
Thanks. For some reason, it sounded too jumbled

8)
ClarkyNZ

Seraphim wrote:Woodstock Jam
The musicians involved on that track must truly have come from another planet. The way they follow each other in the craziest ways just blows my mind. :shock:
Stephen Brown

This album is seriously good.
Mr Clark

I've listened to it quite a bit so far and i can't possibly say it's good as a whole.. some points really get boring, others are good.. out of 10 i'd give it 6 or 7..
Big Bad Bill

FRETPICK wrote:This album is seriously good.
You've said this (and that you think its 'advanced') a few times, but you never tell us why you think it has merit. Those of us who dislike it, try and qualify our opinions by saying it sound unstructured, or sounds like an improvised solo over a monotonous backing track, but we never get anything about why you thinks its good.

Just gives us your opinion-there are no right or wrongs-just help us to see why you think its cool album. Your vision may help us understand and appreciate it ourselves.
resha

Big Bad Bill wrote:
You've said this (and that you think its 'advanced') a few times, but you never tell us why you think it has merit. Those of us who dislike it, try and qualify our opinions by saying it sound unstructured, or sounds like an improvised solo over a monotonous backing track, but we never get anything about why you thinks its good.

Just gives us your opinion-there are no right or wrongs-just help us to see why you think its cool album. Your vision may help us understand and appreciate it ourselves.
I love you Bill! You wise man! :wink:
Stephen Brown

Big Bad Bill wrote:

Rightyho. I'll get back to on that one as I like to write when it's blairing away.
Off the top of my head though....

I can hear a spread of some of satches old stuff from say Satriani-1995 all the way up to Crystal-Planet & Super Colossal.

Come On Baby
^
1993 this song was written & I'm glad about that coz the first think I thought it sounded a tad like Miami Vice but the more I hear the song the better it get's.

Other bits...

Some of those note choices of pitch harmonics are just diamond. They are always in the right place (for the good of the song) & in this album, namely the last song, those screams are just jaw dropping. Hitting the blues note in such an amazing manner. The guitar is simply crying out, speaking.

Off the top of my head.

Anyone seen "White men can't jump"? The section where they are talking about Hendrix. Somewhere along the lines of......"Listening & hearing are two different things"

Well...I can hear satch.

+
There is nothing wrong with satches new compositions because they are not new. It's still the same player raising the bar. Sure you can hear a riff that you think I've heard that but that's his voice.

Have you seen the concentration on satches face at the pro-tools sessions?
No doubt in my mind of amount of effort it takes to do one of these albums. I think because of those reason it help's me to appreciate the work as a whole.

Back to the songs......phew...later.
Last edited by Stephen Brown on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
boswell

I've never been a real Satriani fan, his music to me always sounds like Movie/TV soundtrack.

This latest offering really does hit an all time low though, it comes over to me like someone doing a few tracks for YouTube/Myspace etc. "in the style of Satriani" the Bonus DVD is even more pathetic "I Just Wanna Rock"...........not to this album I don't.
BBB you can have this thing back now! :wink:
Stephen Brown

boswell wrote:I've never been a real Satriani fan, his music to me always sounds like Movie/TV soundtrack.

This is not the first time I've read that from you. To me I find that concept odd because I feel satch has so much to say on the six string.
http://www.satriani.com/discography/Not_Of_This_Earth/

The bonus dvd was great. Had studio messing around. Showed some in-house tracking. Gear hounds can gleem.
You'd have to be hard pressed not to be impressed. I really lik the dvd myself.

Interviews with John Cuniberti...etc..
Big Bad Bill

FRETPICK wrote:Rightyho. I'll get back to on that one as I like to write when it's blairing away.
Off the top of my head though....
Thanks for that, FRETPICK. Its nice to see where you're coming from.
boswell

FRETPICK wrote:
boswell wrote:I've never been a real Satriani fan, his music to me always sounds like Movie/TV soundtrack.

This is not the first time I've read that from you. To me I find that concept odd because I feel satch has so much to say on the six string.
http://www.satriani.com/discography/Not_Of_This_Earth/

The bonus dvd was great. Had studio messing around. Showed some in-house tracking. Gear hounds can gleem.
You'd have to be hard pressed not to be impressed. I really lik the dvd myself.

Don't know why you find it odd that someone doesn't like Satch? I don't it odd that other people like him.
My main reason for disliking the DVD was simply the "I just wanna rock" crap, it's already been said but the whole track is just so lame, 12 year old kids type lyric or very Kiss.