Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Stephen Brown

#181 Post by Stephen Brown » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:34 am

boswell wrote:
FRETPICK wrote:
boswell wrote:I've never been a real Satriani fan, his music to me always sounds like Movie/TV soundtrack.

This is not the first time I've read that from you. To me I find that concept odd because I feel satch has so much to say on the six string.
http://www.satriani.com/discography/Not_Of_This_Earth/

The bonus dvd was great. Had studio messing around. Showed some in-house tracking. Gear hounds can gleem.
You'd have to be hard pressed not to be impressed. I really lik the dvd myself.

Don't know why you find it odd that someone doesn't like Satch? I don't it odd that other people like him.
My main reason for disliking the DVD was simply the "I just wanna rock" crap, it's already been said but the whole track is just so lame, 12 year old kids type lyric or very Kiss.

Random....

I seem to remember a guitar performance with the axe articulating in talkbox mode.

"That's alright...That's alright...goodnight"

Don't know where it came from & I was a youngling when I heard it. Blew my mind to hear a guitar could be made to talk.

Can't help but think it must be the same for at least one 12 year old out there.

Lucky guy,no tax. :D

EyesOfFire0221

#182 Post by EyesOfFire0221 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:30 am

The only guitarist who is supposed to be using a talk box is Peter Frampton!!!!

Guitarmiester

#183 Post by Guitarmiester » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:27 am

This is the only album by Satch that I didn't pre-order or rush to buy. I'll eventually get around to buying it. The podcasts on his site weren't too promising. I'm a huge Satch fan, but his last few releases (ITLIS, Super Colassal, and now this album) weren't cutting it for me. There's a few good songs here and there, but it sounds like he's playing it safe rather than pushing the envelope.

I've been waiting to see Satch make use of a talk box, but was very disappointed when I heard 'I Wanna Rock.'

notavirtuoso

#184 Post by notavirtuoso » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:35 am

Maybe if someone did something new with a talk box it would be cool. I've never messed with one so I have no idea what "new" thing you could do with one.

#185 Post by 27 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:35 pm

Satch is sounding very stale these days. This is his least interesting album sense SBM. None of the tracks stood out to me. I may keep buying his albums out of loyalty but it makes me very sad to see such an amazing artist slipping into such mediocrity.

Big Bad Bill

#186 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:02 am

I imagine almost all of us here are/were big Satch fans and yet the latest album has had almost nothing but criticism for its lack of vitality. We all concede that his early work was pure genius but his output of the last few years is less than inspiring. Surely this has to mean something in terms of his actual musical direction, or lack there of, as opposed to his/his label's perception of it.

What are the people on the Satch forums saying about it? Anyone know?

Mr Clark

#187 Post by Mr Clark » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:47 am

lol they actually like it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

al

#188 Post by al » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 am

a lot less critiism over there but vai.com is always worse for that kinda picky stuff ya kno ;)

Big Bad Bill

#189 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:37 am

brother al wrote:a lot less critiism over there but vai.com is always worse for that kinda picky stuff ya kno ;)
Well, I think we tend to debate issues in a far more mature fashion than almost any forum I've come across. The Dream Theater forum, for example, was dreadful for narrow mindedness when it came to express views contrary to the consensus.

Perhaps a Satch forum member should point out this debate over here-get some pro-Satch input to freshen the debate.

Guitarmiester

#190 Post by Guitarmiester » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:13 am

Big Bad Bill wrote: What are the people on the Satch forums saying about it? Anyone know?
Criticizing Satch on his own forum results in a whole bunch of random people acting like Satch is the best thing since sliced bread.

al

#191 Post by al » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:36 am

well ive on his site ive been there longer than ive been here about 4 or 5 years or so, I'm kinda seen both sides over the past and the different kinda wau it goes, but yeah over her at vai its jus a litle more serious or somethin and things cankinda get technical quick, meh i cant really explain it

lydian2000

#192 Post by lydian2000 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:54 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:
brother al wrote:a lot less critiism over there but vai.com is always worse for that kinda picky stuff ya kno ;)
Well, I think we tend to debate issues in a far more mature fashion than almost any forum I've come across. The Dream Theater forum, for example, was dreadful for narrow mindedness when it came to express views contrary to the consensus.

Perhaps a Satch forum member should point out this debate over here-get some pro-Satch input to freshen the debate.
So true, that's why I've come to love this forum so much over the years, so much that the vai.com forum is a small but precious part of my life. So far I've never seen other forum with a high standard of quality posts.

Guitarmiester

#193 Post by Guitarmiester » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:Well, I think we tend to debate issues in a far more mature fashion than almost any forum I've come across. The Dream Theater forum, for example, was dreadful for narrow mindedness when it came to express views contrary to the consensus.
The DT forum was a mess. Didn't they lock it up? Maybe that was for a short period of time, I don't remember.

hush

#194 Post by hush » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:57 pm

Having visited both (DT and Satriani) I have to say that the only forums worth a damn are this one, jemsite and satrianiforum.

DT's is very biased and the interface sucks.

Satch's forum is a mess. Just a stream of consciousness (DT pun intended). But as I recall reading, that's how Satch wanted it, being able to see things at a glance.

hush

Splish

#195 Post by Splish » Thu May 01, 2008 3:10 am

I do agree with the general consesus of the forum being a mess.. I wanted to see what everyone thought of the new album and gave up because it took too much effort to get to something relevant! And I also agree with the majority opinion of Joe's new effort... It is, after many patient listens, fairly poor.

The one thing I can give the Satch site credit for however is the wealth of photographs present in his site, which IMO, I find a little lacking in the Vai site. Don't get me wrong, the photos on this site are great, but there hasn't been many recent additions.

I was really hoping for Joe to blow us away with this release after Super Colossal... But it really seems like he's dried up. On record anyway.