Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
hush

#151 Post by hush » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:26 pm

As far as I'm concerned it's a mixed bag.

I miss the evocative nature of Joe with tracks like:
Made of Tears
If I Could Fly
Just Look Up
Starry Night
Ceremony
The Forgotten Part II
etc

Or the attitude/fun of songs like:
Up In Flames
Up In The Sky
Summer Song
The Extremist
Satch Boogie
etc

The closest song on this one for me is Andalusia, though it has a Searching kind of feel (read: jam solo), which is interesting but not satisfying in the same way.

I must say, he is still more emotional (to me) than most of the artists I have sampled in the instrumental realm lately, but his latest output doesn't contain any song with the kind of build up and release that his other songs have.

One of the aspects that I did find interesting is the rhythmic/melodic interplay between is lead and backing (particularly on Andalusia).

Overall, I feel it's pretty "loose". It feels like he hasn't invested a lot of time in building melodies and solos. He just felt his way through the song spontaneously.

However, I appreciate that he puts out what he feels at this point in his life/career. Who can blame any artist for that? It kind of comes down to expectations vs integrity.

For once I didn't go in with any expectation (no samples, podcasts or comparing to previous work), but I'm disapointed by the fact that I don't feel satiated by any of the songs (compared to the songs mentionned earlier).

Stephen Brown

#152 Post by Stephen Brown » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:02 am

I thought the new album is musically advanced.

see ya.

EyesOfFire0221

#153 Post by EyesOfFire0221 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:24 am

This is an all to comon trend I see in music fans.Joe isnt making music to please us What I mean by that is that yes he makes music for us fans but he obviously doesnt want to record a "flying in a blue dream part 2" and I wouldnt blame him .That album is famouse for a reason .If he where to record a "flying in a blue dream part 2" us music fans would say oh he is stuck in nostaligia .so its no winning .Thats the beauty of music to paly what you feel and not what someone tells to play .You cannot please everyone .I am not saying Joe is in it for only the money becuase I guarentee you he isnt ...he is jsut playing what he feels is right ,and what he feels acuratly represents his feeling at the time .I was at the recent Guitar Center clinic that Joe did in Manhattan and I remember meeting a few other fans and I remember one guy telling me this .

remeber the only important thing in life is Satriani . :lol:

Joe is an amazing guitarist nonetheless,If you guys want another FIABD then just look elsewhere cuz it aint happening . At the clinic he played the song Musterion which uses a hungarian minor scale (which is my favorite scale to use ) it was amazing to hear his music live again after a brief period of not listneing ot any of his material .

Basically what I am trying to get at is that a musician shouldnt make music to please us fans because thats not how music, or being a musician works..that right there is called "selling out " . I am kinda dissapointed that many of us here have taken this attitude ....

Joe has a signature tone ...I cant count all the times I have heard even the begining note of his song on the radio and i knew it was him right away .just like with steve you can tell a steve vai song jsut by listening to the first note .Joe was always technical but yet blues based mostly because of his hendrix influence...

I asked joe this question at the clinic : I read in a guitar World interview not to long ago that Steve vai's favorite scale is the Lydian scale ( as you guys know its mostly because steve plays a lot of Exotic wordly type music and the lydian scale has that raised 4th which gives it that sound )Do you have a perticular scale you like playing or do you play it all ?

Joe said in a roundabout way that he doesnt sitck to one scale or note that he plays it all he siad there are many differnet sounds you can get just by hearing what is around you and where your at ...sometimes its not all far out souding stuff htat gets a music lovers attention its also the feeling and emotion that you capture from the ongoing day to day life that is around you .

And thats what I think Joe showed in this album really well ...his ability to not just blow our minds by playing "far out not of this earth " kinda guitar stuff but also something more down to earth lol

Joe Isnt called Professor Satchafunkilus for nothing :)

wasoota

#154 Post by wasoota » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:55 am

To be a little sarcastic, do you mean "down to earth" as in "average"? (By Joe's standards :wink: ) If he's Professor Satchafunkilus this was the wrong album to unmask himself. From what I can tell, even those who absolutely like it won't call it a milestone of any sort.

You see, my point is that long ago, Satriani was not a matter of taste but simply required listening. But if someone asked you now "Hey, Joe Satriani, what three albums should I listen to?" Would any of the last three be among them?

And I don't think any artist feels he's not also making music for his fans. Being true to yourself but respecting your audience is what being an artist is all about. One can't be without the other.

notavirtuoso

#155 Post by notavirtuoso » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:35 pm

Joe should do what he wants and more power to him. He certainly shouldn't worry about pleasing anyone but himself as that has always worked in the past. I'm just frustrated because what Joe likes and what I like have drifted very far apart. What's frustrating about it is that Joe was one of maybe 6 artists that defined what I like.

hush

#156 Post by hush » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:17 pm

notavirtuoso wrote:Joe should do what he wants and more power to him. He certainly shouldn't worry about pleasing anyone but himself as that has always worked in the past. I'm just frustrated because what Joe likes and what I like have drifted very far apart. What's frustrating about it is that Joe was one of maybe 6 artists that defined what I like.
I know what you mean. I feel the same way about Guns N' Roses, Pantera, Steve and Joe. I can't find new artists that have that impact and those initial artists have moved in another direction (ie Velvet Revolver).

They've set the bar so high (in terms of aural satisfaction :wink: ) that everything else mostly comes up short.

Very frustrating :?

boswell

#157 Post by boswell » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:40 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:This is a good point-I'm beginning to realise that the difference between mp3 and CD quality is easily perceptible even to my ageing ears. I used to plug my iPOD into my home stereo, now I only play the CDs at home.
What bitrate are you ripping the mp3's at?
Also are you sure it's not an incompatibility between your iPod and the input side of your home stereo?

Big Bad Bill

#158 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:11 am

boswell wrote:What bitrate are you ripping the mp3's at?
Also are you sure it's not an incompatibility between your iPod and the input side of your home stereo?
Its all pushed to the max. I suppose its all subjective and I have to admit I haven't done a proper A/B type test (maybe we should do this).

resha

#159 Post by resha » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:50 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
boswell wrote:What bitrate are you ripping the mp3's at?
Its all pushed to the max. I suppose its all subjective and I have to admit I haven't done a proper A/B type test (maybe we should do this).
I have done multiple A/B tests in my little home studio. All with mp3's at 320 kbps ripped from original cd's (via iTunes) vs. .wav format (actual cd).

I must admit the difference is subtle, but a good ear can notice it.

At first they seem equal, but then focusing on the sounds it seemed to my ears that mp3's are a bit weak in general if compared to cd's. They seem to loose some deep bass and have ice-pick-in-the-forehead highs (overhead-headroom in general); cd's highs are more round and have more presence than mp3's one, that are more thin and cutting. Also it seems that mp3's compression add a "chaos feeling" to the tune. Even if the bitrate is really high (the higher possible) it feels like the mp3's are more chaotic sounding, when cd's sounds can be perceived in a better manner (all the sounds have a particular "space" in the mix, while the mp3's are all mixed up...). The mp3's seem to lose a bit of mids, but this is a personal valutation.

To have a scientifical note I checked with a spectrum analyzer the frequency response, which seems equal in both formats, even if the mp3's have a lower output (-0.5dB at all frequencies maybe, nothing more).

This is what I felt :oops:

GuitarStrings

#160 Post by GuitarStrings » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:13 am

EyesOfFire0221 wrote:This is an all to comon trend I see in music fans.Joe isnt making music to please us What I mean by that is that yes he makes music for us fans but he obviously doesnt want to record a "flying in a blue dream part 2" and I wouldnt blame him .That album is famouse for a reason .If he where to record a "flying in a blue dream part 2" us music fans would say oh he is stuck in nostaligia .so its no winning .Thats the beauty of music to paly what you feel and not what someone tells to play .You cannot please everyone .I am not saying Joe is in it for only the money becuase I guarentee you he isnt ...he is jsut playing what he feels is right ,and what he feels acuratly represents his feeling at the time .I was at the recent Guitar Center clinic that Joe did in Manhattan and I remember meeting a few other fans and I remember one guy telling me this .

remeber the only important thing in life is Satriani . :lol:

Joe is an amazing guitarist nonetheless,If you guys want another FIABD then just look elsewhere cuz it aint happening . At the clinic he played the song Musterion which uses a hungarian minor scale (which is my favorite scale to use ) it was amazing to hear his music live again after a brief period of not listneing ot any of his material .

Basically what I am trying to get at is that a musician shouldnt make music to please us fans because thats not how music, or being a musician works..that right there is called "selling out " . I am kinda dissapointed that many of us here have taken this attitude ....

Joe has a signature tone ...I cant count all the times I have heard even the begining note of his song on the radio and i knew it was him right away .just like with steve you can tell a steve vai song jsut by listening to the first note .Joe was always technical but yet blues based mostly because of his hendrix influence...

I asked joe this question at the clinic : I read in a guitar World interview not to long ago that Steve vai's favorite scale is the Lydian scale ( as you guys know its mostly because steve plays a lot of Exotic wordly type music and the lydian scale has that raised 4th which gives it that sound )Do you have a perticular scale you like playing or do you play it all ?

Joe said in a roundabout way that he doesnt sitck to one scale or note that he plays it all he siad there are many differnet sounds you can get just by hearing what is around you and where your at ...sometimes its not all far out souding stuff htat gets a music lovers attention its also the feeling and emotion that you capture from the ongoing day to day life that is around you .

And thats what I think Joe showed in this album really well ...his ability to not just blow our minds by playing "far out not of this earth " kinda guitar stuff but also something more down to earth lol

Joe Isnt called Professor Satchafunkilus for nothing :)

Oh well said. I agree COMPLETLY.
I love Joe Satriani's new album.

Big Bad Bill

#161 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:21 pm

resha wrote:I have done multiple A/B tests in my little home studio. All with mp3's at 320 kbps ripped from original cd's (via iTunes) vs. .wav format (actual cd).

At first they seem equal, but then focusing on the sounds it seemed to my ears that mp3's are a bit weak in general if compared to cd's. They seem to loose some deep bass and have ice-pick-in-the-forehead highs (overhead-headroom in general); cd's highs are more round and have more presence than mp3's one, that are more thin and cutting. Also it seems that mp3's compression add a "chaos feeling" to the tune. Even if the bitrate is really high (the higher possible) it feels like the mp3's are more chaotic sounding, when cd's sounds can be perceived in a better manner (all the sounds have a particular "space" in the mix, while the mp3's are all mixed up...). The mp3's seem to lose a bit of mids, but this is a personal valutation.

To have a scientifical note I checked with a spectrum analyzer the frequency response, which seems equal in both formats, even if the mp3's have a lower output (-0.5dB at all frequencies maybe, nothing more).
That's really interesting, especially that spectrum analysis being very similar.

Big Bad Bill

#162 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:22 pm

GuitarStrings wrote:Oh well said. I agree COMPLETLY.
I've played it about 10 times, now its been consigned to a box in my loft........

boswell

#163 Post by boswell » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:02 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
GuitarStrings wrote:Oh well said. I agree COMPLETLY.
I've played it about 10 times, now its been consigned to a box in my loft........

Chuck it on ebay and sell it before too many people hear it :lol:

boswell

#164 Post by boswell » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:04 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
resha wrote:I have done multiple A/B tests in my little home studio. All with mp3's at 320 kbps ripped from original cd's (via iTunes) vs. .wav format (actual cd).

That's really interesting, especially that spectrum analysis being very similar.

Several sites have comparisions:

www.lincomatic.com/mp3/mp3quality.html

Gulliver

#165 Post by Gulliver » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:25 pm

After two listens I like it quite a bit. Some tracks sound quite fresh to my ears! 8)