Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Big Bad Bill

#136 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:53 am

MikeB7070 wrote:In the end, if Joe is enjoying what he is writing and playing, then that's all that matters.
I'd agree with you if all he was doing was playing in his bedroom for personal gratification, but he's trying to make a living from his music and, I suspect, cultivate something new and innovative because Satch is an artist. Artists seldom like to stand still, but this seems to be exactly what has happened in his case.
MikeB7070 wrote:so he puts out what he likes, which doesn't mean everyone will like it. My cd got some bad reviews when I released it, though some people got it, some didn't, some thought it was great, others scratched their head and reached for their Celine Dion CD, that's ok with me, and I'm sure some negative reactions are fine with Joe. Music is about the joy of playing and sharing, so if he finds joy in it, then more power to him.
Have a look at the reviews of Satch's release on Amazon (UK)-it seems we're not te only ones who are finding Satch's music of late a bit dull!

MikeB7070

#137 Post by MikeB7070 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:17 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:I'd agree with you if all he was doing was playing in his bedroom for personal gratification, but he's trying to make a living from his music and, I suspect, cultivate something new and innovative because Satch is an artist. Artists seldom like to stand still, but this seems to be exactly what has happened in his case.
Well then don't buy it. It's pretty simple. The economic consequences are that he makes less money, though I'm pretty sure he's doing ok.
Big Bad Bill wrote:Have a look at the reviews of Satch's release on Amazon (UK)-it seems we're not te only ones who are finding Satch's music of late a bit dull!
Yeah, I feel much the same about most of his current albums, but oh well. Joe doesn't owe me anything, so he makes the music he wants. The second you make a record because you "think" it will sell, you've failed as an artist. Only Joe knows why he writes what he does.

Big Bad Bill

#138 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:47 am

MikeB7070 wrote:Well then don't buy it. It's pretty simple. The economic consequences are that he makes less money, though I'm pretty sure he's doing ok.
But its not that simple. As a fan (or should that be ex-fan?), you have to buy it just in case he has had the 'return to form' as all the hype suggests. Even the little previews aren't enough to make a judgement about the album, so you stuck with buying it.

MikeB7070

#139 Post by MikeB7070 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:52 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
MikeB7070 wrote:Well then don't buy it. It's pretty simple. The economic consequences are that he makes less money, though I'm pretty sure he's doing ok.
But its not that simple. As a fan (or should that be ex-fan?), you have to buy it just in case he has had the 'return to form' as all the hype suggests. Even the little previews aren't enough to make a judgement about the album, so you stuck with buying it.
I guess I don't understand where you are coming from. In this day and age you can hear all the tracks before you buy it, unless you have to be the first person on the block to get it. If you don't like it don't buy it. All the songs are up on iTunes. It is that simple, for me....or knowing that one has not enjoyed the last few albums one would not buy it anyway...which is where I'm at..or take the chance an buy it. That's always a gamble as is with any artist.

TongueNGroove

#140 Post by TongueNGroove » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:04 am

Big satch fan here and I have to say I agree with everyones dissapointment.

When I saw the title, "I just wanna rock" I was expecting Satch Boogie Part II. Instead I got I V IV chord rythym with some wanking on a pentatonic scale.

The rest of the songs are boring too from the samples I have heard.

What I want from a Satch album are some songs that make me want to pick up my guitar and learn how to play them. I am not hearing any of that on this album.

anuj

#141 Post by anuj » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:16 pm

This was being discussed at another place, and upon expressing disappointment with record, the question arose whether being a 'serious player' affected one's ability to enjoy a new joe record. Pasting what I wrote there:
I'd think that if I only enjoyed the music of serious players. In general, I agree with Neil Peart in that the only real measure of music is the question of how well someone did what they wanted to do. That said, Joe's music used to be a lot more interesting (to me, I guess) than it is now. SBM was the last record that grabbed me the first listen through, but that was on account of how solid the first .. y'know, bits of that record were. ITLIS had three songs I absolutely love, but at this point I was using them to justify my love for Joe, which in turn, justified my enjoyment of the record. This is backwards, I think. SC and Satriani Live! didn't get more than a few spins, even in SL! DVD form. It boils down to this: I used to be able to expect fun, cool things from Joe, and have those expectations met in strange, beautiful ways. Now, well, Joe just wants to keep on rockin'. I just wish he didn't make it sound like bedroom backing-track antics of assembled bits and pieces of ideas. (Albeit beautifully executed - I'd never want to take credit away from Jeff/Matt/&c. for being stellar.)

(This paragraph parenthetical because I don't really mean this to inevitably compare the two, just to employ an idea that some might understand: It seems him and Vai are crossing each other over into/out-from trick-bagsian playing. Vai, by his own admission/statement, used to pull quite a bit out of his very identifiable bag of tricks. This has changed dramatically over the last many things I've heard from him (live/record/collaborations/jamming). In contrast, it used to be that Joe would pull something ridiculously cool out of his ass to make whatever he was doing go beyond just working and into /cool/. Listening to this record, I found myself anticipating his modulations and phrasing ("that's right, there's that descending minor sounding line followed by the little sweep up and back to complete the phrase") because he'd done that same stuff so many times in the recent past. What felt a bit more disappointing was that this seemed to be the bag of tricks he's settled deeper and deeper into since SBM.)

Again: I don't /think/ my view is tainted by being a player (I'd hardly attempt to call the fun I try to have as 'serious'), because this is really about Joe in his own context. And to me, it's gone from being struck by him to looking for things to like in what he does now. Which at the end of the day, I assure you I will keep doing because - as I said before, even Joe doing this leaves plenty to learn from.
~A

ClarkyNZ

#142 Post by ClarkyNZ » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:20 pm

I dunno what gear you guys are listening on, but on a good stereo, sitting front and centre with the EQ just right (to bring Satch's playing out of the mix) this is a very, very good album.

Beautifully executed playing, gorgeous Satch tones, and some historically reminiscent playing that takes me back almost 20 years.

Throw away your Ipod, turn off those crappy computer speakers, get the actual album (instead of crappy mp3s that you downloaded off pirate sites - IF you did) and enjoy the real thing. I am. 8)

Big Bad Bill

#143 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:24 am

This is a good point-I'm beginning to realise that the difference between mp3 and CD quality is easily perceptible even to my ageing ears. I used to plug my iPOD into my home stereo, now I only play the CDs at home.

resha

#144 Post by resha » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:25 am

Listened to the album and I'm disappointed.

I'd define it rambling. I can't seem to find anything interesting in it.

:(

resha

#145 Post by resha » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:32 am

ClarkyNZ wrote:I dunno what gear you guys are listening on, but on a good stereo, sitting front and centre with the EQ just right (to bring Satch's playing out of the mix) this is a very, very good album.

Beautifully executed playing, gorgeous Satch tones, and some historically reminiscent playing that takes me back almost 20 years.

Throw away your Ipod, turn off those crappy computer speakers, get the actual album (instead of crappy mp3s that you downloaded off pirate sites - IF you did) and enjoy the real thing. I am. 8)
Good point but release a good album in terms of ideas is way far from release an album well executed and mixed.

A good execution and a good mixing can't raise the content of the record.

anuj

#146 Post by anuj » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:11 am

heh, i've been listening to this cd in my car and studio control room. i don't think sound quality is what's informing my opinion :P

~A

wasoota

#147 Post by wasoota » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:52 am

ClarkyNZ wrote:I dunno what gear you guys are listening on, but on a good stereo, sitting front and centre with the EQ just right (to bring Satch's playing out of the mix) this is a very, very good album.

I too like the tones and I find them better on this album than previous ones. But for the playing I'm afraid I have to agree with resha: Rambling sums it up for me. Almost like he said "watch me jam out some songs over these backing tracks", the same writing flaws I found so prominent on SC (well, it is a lot better than that one). I also find there are more and more 'fluff'-licks in his playing that just don't add anything. In his older stuff, even the showy stuff seemed to make a musical point. But that's subjective of course.

With a cocky title like that I would have expected it to land a little closer to the bullseye. The title implied to me that he was somehow reacting to something and was going to show us once again who's the "Professor", the mastermind and innovator of the instrumental guitar rock album, that he'd really pull all the stops and go all out again. Otherwise he might as well have have called it "Rock 'n Robots" or whatever. - To me that departure didn't happen though, and the album hasn't grown on me either. I'd put it somewhere in the vicinity of ITLIS, albeit with better tones. Not bad, but not good enough to break the slide.

I wouldn't want to talk anybody out of their enjoyment though. Probably couldn't anyway, and with Paul Gilbert on a roll right now with his album and an order of Holdsworth on the way I have enough material to keep me happy anyway. :D

Drumolator

#148 Post by Drumolator » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:44 pm

I am only a drummer (for about 40 years), but I have been a serious music listener for more than 30 years. I have very good sound equipment at home and in my vehicle. I listen to a very wide variety of music: prog rock, instrumental rock, jazz-rock fusion, mainstream jazz, contemporary jazz, a little country, and praise and worship.

This new offering from Satch may not be a great guitar album, but in my humble opinion, it a great music abum. It will probably join Strange Beautiful Music and The Extremist as one of my favorite Satriani albums. I like the variety of tunes, Joe's playing, and the other musicians. This is just one guy's opinion, but I REALLY like it. Peace.

zappadons

#149 Post by zappadons » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:33 am

While the song writing on his recent albums is pretty poor, I still cant see past his playing when he really gets into it. Hes some guitar player and always will be my one true "guitar hero"!!

VAI05

#150 Post by VAI05 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:38 am

I love it. But I loved Super Colossal & Is There Love In Space also. I find myself liking the new stuff that is released now days & playing them alot more than running to the back catalog & just jamming to the epic recording the artist has. I did the opposite a few years ago. Joe is still one of the greatest players out there & I still love what he is creating.