Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

#91 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:42 am

prman wrote:After the sheer terror of "I just wanna rock", the rest of the sound samples sound hell of a lot better.
Perhaps that was the whole idea? A risky strategy!
prman wrote:The handclap samples on "Andalusia" sound a bit cheap though... Why not do them the old fashioned way? Well, I will buy the album anyway! :D
They do sound a bit nasty online but the quality is so low...... Are you sure they're samples? I suppose we'll have to wait for the release to find out.

User avatar
lydian7
Member
Member
Posts: 1269
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:55 pm
Location: UK

#92 Post by lydian7 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:41 am

Bryceybhoy wrote:I always look forward to a new Satch album. It's just that three weeks down the line I realise that most of the songs are shit.
So true :lol:
Big Bad Bill wrote:I had a quick listen and this sounds quite promising-back to Mixolydian and away from the blues from what I can tell from the snippets on Amazon.
Well, nobody pays money to see someone noodling around a solitary mode, that was done to death in the 80s (Flying in a Blue Dream anyone?). Don't forget, he throws in a load of little 'colour' notes from the dorian and mixo scales whilst playing the blues scale. It's not what you play, but how you play it.

User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

#93 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:08 am

lydian7 wrote:Well, nobody pays money to see someone noodling around a solitary mode, that was done to death in the 80s (Flying in a Blue Dream anyone?).
Well, if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it! Satch tried to 'fix it' by 'going back to basics' and look what happened....his last 4-5 albums!

jem7v
Member
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: Limerick Ireland

#94 Post by jem7v » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:28 am

For me the last 2 podcasts "Revelation" and "Come On Baby" are class.On first few listens these 2 snippets do more for me than the previous podcasts snippets.
I am looking forward to getting the album tomorrow(as i,ve mentioned here before that we here in Ireland for some reason get albums here on the Friday before the Offical Monday/Tuesday release dates.)
And im looking forward to him playing here as he has,nt been here since the Strange beautiful Music tour in 2002

User avatar
ClarkyNZ
Member
Member
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:48 am
Location: New Zealand

#95 Post by ClarkyNZ » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:28 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:
lydian7 wrote:Well, nobody pays money to see someone noodling around a solitary mode, that was done to death in the 80s (Flying in a Blue Dream anyone?).
Well, if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it! Satch tried to 'fix it' by 'going back to basics' and look what happened....his last 4-5 albums!
As much as I respect artists who develop and divulge in their careers, I would pay $100 for a Satch album that could truly be called "Flying In A Blue Dream Part 2" 8)

User avatar
al
Member
Member
Posts: 1562
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:43 pm
Contact:

#96 Post by al » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:47 pm

Come on Baby is amazing

ian_lyd
Newcomer
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:10 am

The Professor

#97 Post by ian_lyd » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:51 pm

This is a fantastic album. Not that I ever worry with Joe the guy just gets it music is not scales kiddies even though Joe cuts through them with plenty of easy. The songs on this CD are simply fantastic. Some of the comments are this thread are so dump they must be posted by 13 year olds. Blues scale blah blah, Joe jamming, I can come up with something better, JSX sounds like shit haha that makes me rotfl ya right sound horrible to me? What a douch. Well kiddies Joe is smoking on this one. One thing I never could understand for me I get trust me I get both of these genius artist not to like one too me is just plain ignorant.

jem613
Member
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:07 am
Location: Berkshire, England
Contact:

#98 Post by jem613 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:30 am

ClarkyNZ wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:
lydian7 wrote:I would pay $100 for a Satch album that could truly be called "Flying In A Blue Dream Part 2" 8)
AMEN to that my friend!!!!!

User avatar
Bryceybhoy
Member
Member
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:28 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: The Professor

#99 Post by Bryceybhoy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:01 am

ian_lyd wrote:Some of the comments are this thread are so dump they must be posted by 13 year olds. Blues scale blah blah, Joe jamming, I can come up with something better, JSX sounds like shit haha that makes me rotfl ya right sound horrible to me? What a douch. Well kiddies Joe is smoking on this one. One thing I never could understand for me I get trust me I get both of these genius artist not to like one too me is just plain ignorant.
Slightly harsh. I think the general consensus among some of us is that Joe rarely writes anything original, or puts much thought into his songs. It's opinion, it's doesn't necessarily mean it's right.
I am more impressed by 'writing', where a thought process has evolved and produced a great song, like Under It All, or Tender Surrender. 'Jamming' for 11 songs over one scale/mode - or as you say, blah blah blah - does not really float my boat, but if it floats yours then that's great, you''ll love this album.

User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

Re: The Professor

#100 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:33 am

ian_lyd wrote: Some of the comments are this thread are so dump they must be posted by 13 year olds. Blues scale blah blah, Joe jamming, I can come up with something better, JSX sounds like shit haha that makes me rotfl ya right sound horrible to me? What a douch. Well kiddies Joe is smoking on this one. One thing I never could understand for me I get trust me I get both of these genius artist not to like one too me is just plain ignorant.
I'm getting a better idea of the demographic Satch's last few albums appeal to by reading this post and realise why those of us not in this group have become disillusioned by his recent output. However, you will note that many of us have an open mind and have suggested that Satch may be turning over a new leaf (or an old leaf) with this new release. Many of us have ordered it and will listen as objectively as any human is capable of and give our more evidential opinions at that point. In the mean time, we discuss.......

I continue to believe that any fan who makes a blanket statement like "He rocks" or "Everything he does is brillant" is either easily pleased or delusional.

User avatar
ClarkyNZ
Member
Member
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:48 am
Location: New Zealand

#101 Post by ClarkyNZ » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:40 pm

If you want to see the Mystery behind the Genius behind the Man, check out personalised, individual podcasts with backgrounds from Joe on each song off the album. :D

http://www.satriani.com/podcast/Satchafunkilus/

shacks
Member
Member
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:43 pm

#102 Post by shacks » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:34 pm

I got my copy of the CD/DVD today!!! I have only listened to the album once but I was totally blown away!! The DVD is superb too with fantastic live stuff from last years Surfing 20th Anniversay tour.

Cant wait for the tour in May!!!

shacks

RM
Member
Member
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:44 am

Re: The Professor

#103 Post by RM » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:36 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote: I continue to believe that any fan who makes a blanket statement like "He rocks" or "Everything he does is brillant" is either easily pleased or delusional. [/color]
I'd really love to think that everything the guy releases is amazing. I've been a massive fan of his since I was 12 so it has a major emotional attachment to me as I grew up with it.

Unfortunately, to my mind Engines of Creation was the last original album he has put out. Strange Beautiful Music had its moments, but cannot be called original. The rest...err...yeah!

I've had to detach myself from it and stick to the music I grew up with and love and realise that every artist has a cut off point where they stop being the original - the thing that originally made you notice them.

Live, I still think the guy is awesome...he has this overwhelming sound that no-one else has...I saw him last year for the 11th time and was still blown away (but it is the classics that cause the goosebumps!).

Part of it is probably due to the fact that I've become a musician and producer so now know how easy it is to come up with the stuff he has been putting out recently and how formulaic it is.

I think it just comes to the point where you grow up and things change. Satch will always be my hero along with Steve, but until he starts putting out something that I will be happy listening to, I can only enjoy him live...

User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

Re: The Professor

#104 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:29 pm

RM wrote:I'd really love to think that everything the guy releases is amazing. I've been a massive fan of his since I was 12 so it has a major emotional attachment to me as I grew up with it.

Unfortunately, to my mind Engines of Creation was the last original album he has put out. Strange Beautiful Music had its moments, but cannot be called original. The rest...err...yeah!
You're a mature, level headed, objective person who can see beyond the hype, RM. I admire you.

I was listening to 'Surfing....' today and was blown away by 'Circles' and the originality of most of the rest of the album. 'Midnight' and 'Echoes'...WOW! He was an amazing artist once.

My CD has been dispatched and I wait with baited breath.

User avatar
ClarkyNZ
Member
Member
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:48 am
Location: New Zealand

#105 Post by ClarkyNZ » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:01 pm

shacks wrote:I got my copy of the CD/DVD today!!! I have only listened to the album once but I was totally blown away!! The DVD is superb too with fantastic live stuff from last years Surfing 20th Anniversay tour.

Cant wait for the tour in May!!!

shacks
I'm green with ENVY! :mrgreen: ...and Satch isn't coming to NZ any more. :(

Post Reply