Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Message
Author
User avatar
Bryceybhoy
Member
Member
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:28 am
Location: Glasgow

#31 Post by Bryceybhoy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:27 am

Mr Clark wrote:lol the star of the solo in it is "standard satch".. heard it 100s of times on his records.. oh dear :?
That's unfair. There are lots of Vai solos which follow the exact same pattern or technique, but few people criticise Steve for that.

It's just Joe's style, you either like it or you don't.

My only complaint is that he just seems to 'jam' too much. I would rather he sat down and picked his spot. Since the 'Joe Satriani' record, he's just jammed in the studio as opposed to actually 'writing' his songs.

I'll buy it because it'll have a few cool grooves on it and its good car music.

Incestuous_Monk
Member
Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:59 am

#32 Post by Incestuous_Monk » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:35 am

Bryceybhoy wrote:
Mr Clark wrote:lol the star of the solo in it is "standard satch".. heard it 100s of times on his records.. oh dear :?
That's unfair. There are lots of Vai solos which follow the exact same pattern or technique, but few people criticise Steve for that.
Agreed. Every guitar player has their safety net and Steve is no exception.

User avatar
al
Member
Member
Posts: 1562
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:43 pm
Contact:

#33 Post by al » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:25 am

Yea april first is the release date, and a few of the cd's will have a bonus dvd with it


theres some GC shows in the US and the European tour starts at the end of May

lookin forward to hear the rest, Matt is your dentist eh?

User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4071
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am
Location: Honley UK

#34 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:52 am

jem7v wrote:If you go to www.satriani.com you can hear one of the songs thats gonna be on the album.Its called "I Just Wanna Rock"
I was excited and hoping that it would "rock",,,but to be honest,,i think it sucks..really bland and boring for satch......just my opinion though
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! I'm assuming this is one of the 'better' tracks on the new CD? Why would you make a mediocre one available first? The words 'cliche' and 'cringe-worthy' comes to mind when listening to it-I Just Wanna Rock indeed.

User avatar
Bryceybhoy
Member
Member
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:28 am
Location: Glasgow

#35 Post by Bryceybhoy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:35 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
jem7v wrote:If you go to www.satriani.com you can hear one of the songs thats gonna be on the album.Its called "I Just Wanna Rock"
I was excited and hoping that it would "rock",,,but to be honest,,i think it sucks..really bland and boring for satch......just my opinion though
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! I'm assuming this is one of the 'better' tracks on the new CD? Why would you make a mediocre one available first? The words 'cliche' and 'cringe-worthy' comes to mind when listening to it-I Just Wanna Rock indeed.
Why do you call it cringe-worthy? You mean the title or the music?

I admit, I quite like yet. But, then again, I said the same thing about Super Collosal and after about five listens I gave up.

jem7v
Member
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: Limerick Ireland

#36 Post by jem7v » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:15 am

brother al wrote:Yea april first is the release date, and a few of the cd's will have a bonus dvd with it


theres some GC shows in the US and the European tour starts at the end of May

lookin forward to hear the rest, Matt is your dentist eh?
Bonus dvd??????????
Where did you get this info???....And whats gonna be on it??

jem7v
Member
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: Limerick Ireland

#37 Post by jem7v » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:17 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
jem7v wrote:If you go to www.satriani.com you can hear one of the songs thats gonna be on the album.Its called "I Just Wanna Rock"
I was excited and hoping that it would "rock",,,but to be honest,,i think it sucks..really bland and boring for satch......just my opinion though
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! I'm assuming this is one of the 'better' tracks on the new CD? Why would you make a mediocre one available first? The words 'cliche' and 'cringe-worthy' comes to mind when listening to it-I Just Wanna Rock indeed.
I know what you,re sayin..and also that song is gonna be the album,s first single..which does,nt say alot for the album.
I truly hope im wrong though

User avatar
al
Member
Member
Posts: 1562
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:43 pm
Contact:

#38 Post by al » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:36 am

makin of the album and a few things in the studio as far as i know, im prety sure not all of em will have the bonus dvd

RM
Member
Member
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:44 am

#39 Post by RM » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:40 pm

jem7v wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:
jem7v wrote:If you go to www.satriani.com you can hear one of the songs thats gonna be on the album.Its called "I Just Wanna Rock"
I was excited and hoping that it would "rock",,,but to be honest,,i think it sucks..really bland and boring for satch......just my opinion though
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! I'm assuming this is one of the 'better' tracks on the new CD? Why would you make a mediocre one available first? The words 'cliche' and 'cringe-worthy' comes to mind when listening to it-I Just Wanna Rock indeed.
I know what you,re sayin..and also that song is gonna be the album,s first single..which does,nt say alot for the album.
I truly hope im wrong though
Don't forget that it is probably the record company deciding what track to put out as a single and not the artist.... A lot of acts get screwed over by companies putting out totally the wrong single and therefore cocking up initial promotion.

User avatar
al
Member
Member
Posts: 1562
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:43 pm
Contact:

#40 Post by al » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:13 pm

either way its a pretty crappy song,

User avatar
Mr Clark
Member
Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:32 am
Location: Treviso Italy

#41 Post by Mr Clark » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:13 am

Incestuous_Monk wrote:
Bryceybhoy wrote:
Mr Clark wrote:lol the star of the solo in it is "standard satch".. heard it 100s of times on his records.. oh dear :?
That's unfair. There are lots of Vai solos which follow the exact same pattern or technique, but few people criticise Steve for that.
Agreed. Every guitar player has their safety net and Steve is no exception.
I have a feeling that Steve really tries to be innovative, and satch.. well.. a bit less lets say :lol:
Of course you hear standard licks in Steve's playing, but it's here and there, not large sections of solos..
I also agree with the cringing.. the synth voice saying "that is your babies"? or god knows what.. it kind of belongs in house music :D

Stephen Brown
Member
Member
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 am
Location: PETERSFIELD,HANTS
Contact:

#42 Post by Stephen Brown » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:40 am

The tune kick's booty. 8) 8) 8) :D :D

RM
Member
Member
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:44 am

#43 Post by RM » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:14 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2aZN1k ... video.html


More samples from the new album in here

User avatar
al
Member
Member
Posts: 1562
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:43 pm
Contact:

#44 Post by al » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:27 am

Mr Clark wrote:
Incestuous_Monk wrote:
Bryceybhoy wrote: That's unfair. There are lots of Vai solos which follow the exact same pattern or technique, but few people criticise Steve for that.
Agreed. Every guitar player has their safety net and Steve is no exception.
I have a feeling that Steve really tries to be innovative, and satch.. well.. a bit less lets say :lol:
Of course you hear standard licks in Steve's playing, but it's here and there, not large sections of solos..
I also agree with the cringing.. the synth voice saying "that is your babies"? or god knows what.. it kind of belongs in house music :D
It's Matt is your dentist

Stephen Brown
Member
Member
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 am
Location: PETERSFIELD,HANTS
Contact:

#45 Post by Stephen Brown » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:16 am

RM wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2aZN1k ... video.html


More samples from the new album in here
That was the bee's knee's. Thanks.

Post Reply