Guthrie Govan

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Lucky_Charms

Guthrie Govan

#1 Post by Lucky_Charms » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:59 am

Most of you web surfers have probably already seen this guy rip it up on youtube, but if you haven't, I encourage you to go check em out. He's up there with the greats of space-age guitar. I hope to one day see him on a G3 tour. Just punch his name in youtube or google video -it's all good.
Enjoy! :)

Henrique Henriques

#2 Post by Henrique Henriques » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:34 pm

He's very good! I guess he never leaves the house...
(then again, with a hair like that, I wouldn't leave the house)

Big Bad Bill

#3 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:16 pm

Henrique Henriques wrote:He's very good! I guess he never leaves the house...
(then again, with a hair like that, I wouldn't leave the house)
You'd think, but in fact Guthrie is one of the coolest blokes you could ever meet. He's witty, intelligent, articulate, cool and, most of all, humble about his abilities. He's written two books about revitalising ones playing, that I'd highly recommend. His humour is stamped all through his books too and in a helpful way too.

sunai

#4 Post by sunai » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:24 am

just watched him on you tube today!!!
and all i can say is wow!!!!!!his playing is very tasty, even though im not into the blues!!!!His playing so so wonderfully articulate and tasteful!!!!!!! :D :D

Obsidious

#5 Post by Obsidious » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:21 pm

He rules. Period. Anyone who argues shall die a thousand painful deaths and will be subject to the most awful torture in the deepest regions of Hell.

-SkiZ-

#6 Post by -SkiZ- » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:47 pm

Obsidious wrote:He rules. Period. Anyone who argues shall die a thousand painful deaths and will be subject to the most awful torture in the deepest regions of Hell.
+1

bluesbreaker

#7 Post by bluesbreaker » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 pm

Obsidious wrote:He rules. Period. Anyone who argues shall die a thousand painful deaths and will be subject to the most awful torture in the deepest regions of Hell.
Tell that to the some of the folks at the Petrucci Forum. They will laugh their ass off.

For me, I agree with you. GG rules.

-SkiZ-

#8 Post by -SkiZ- » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:42 pm

bluesbreaker wrote: Tell that to the some of the folks at the Petrucci Forum. They will laugh their ass off.
that fact makes me mad

Obsidious

#9 Post by Obsidious » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:48 am

-SkiZ- wrote:
bluesbreaker wrote: Tell that to the some of the folks at the Petrucci Forum. They will laugh their ass off.
that fact makes me mad
I second this.

<Mike>

#10 Post by <Mike> » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:49 am

why would the guys at petrucci forum think guthrie is bad? I love petruccis playing and dream theater (not the two latest cd's) and I think guthrie govan is a friggin genious.

Big Bad Bill

#11 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:00 am

sunai0804 wrote: even though im not into the blues!!!!His playing so so wonderfully articulate and tasteful!!!!!!! :D :D
I don't think he's that bluesy at all or else I wouldn't like his music either!. Do you?

RM

#12 Post by RM » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:01 am

bluesbreaker wrote:
Tell that to the some of the folks at the Petrucci Forum. They will laugh their ass off.

For me, I agree with you. GG rules.
Can you give some examples???.....

There seem to be many positive things about the guy over there....

bluesbreaker

#13 Post by bluesbreaker » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:34 am

Just go there and search.
Those few guys there didn't say GG is bad, they just don't like certain aspects of GG's playing, and they don't think GG is that good comparing to Petrucci AFAIK. But most of the folks there, including the moderator Paul Warren, think GG is awesome.

Both Govan and Petrucci are insane. Period.

Naffis-kun

#14 Post by Naffis-kun » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:21 am

His shredding and technique put aside, I'd like to focus on his compositions on "Erotic Cakes". I just love his songs, they are so rich and full of emotion.
I don't care if someone is a better player than him.

Big Bad Bill

#15 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:11 am

Yeah, he's writer of great, tasteful tunes and that's far more important than anything. Having said that, he's a very precise, very fast player too, when the piece requires it-listen to the clean sweep arpeggios in 'Wonderful Slippery Thing' as an example :shock: