Paul Gilbert: Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
notavirtuoso

My copy arrived today and I'm on my first listen as I type. So far so good, I'm digging it. Will post proper review after multiple complete listening sessions.
cosmic ape

Paul is doing some serious ass kicking with this album... I can't stop listening to it... It's addictive... I think he's getting more comfortable in the instrumental realm, for sure... I hope I can see him live soon...
Big Bad Bill

This is how I thought Satch might develop in that SFbaDR is quite bluesy and yet it always has interesting twists and turns. Alas......

Guitarist magazine suggested that this album may well have pushed P&W off the top 'instrumental guitar album' slot after 18 years, but I don't think its as innovative and sophisticated as that, but it is great fun to listen to.
notavirtuoso

Big Bad Bill wrote:Guitarist magazine suggested that this album may well have pushed P&W off the top 'instrumental guitar album' slot after 18 years, but I don't think its as innovative and sophisticated as that, but it is great fun to listen to.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. I like this album a lot. It's sounds like Paul having fun and I think he's one of the best guitarists out there at conveying smiles with his playing. That's something a lot easier said than done. There's cleverness sprinkled all around but it never takes itself too seriously. Kind of like Alex Lifeson in that respect, but not in actual technique, just in a feeling I get. Sorry Bill, I know how you feel about "feel" and "vibe" when it comes to music interpretation :P :lol:

Anyway, for those that have yet to pick this up you should give it a listen. It isn't all flurries of insane arpeggios and alternate picking, far from it in fact.
Big Bad Bill

notavirtuoso wrote: Sorry Bill, I know how you feel about "feel" and "vibe" when it comes to music interpretation :P :lol:
You used the 'F' and 'V' word :evil:
notavirtuoso wrote:Anyway, for those that have yet to pick this up you should give it a listen. It isn't all flurries of insane arpeggios and alternate picking, far from it in fact.
Indeed, I can't stop humming 'The Rhino' at the moment.
Booligan

i can´t get paulvsgodzilla nor Bultaco Saturno out of my head! they´re just phenomenal.

btw try and play the intro riff to Norwegian cowbell when you´re surrounded by some people. they always go "wow that sounds SWEET! what is it/is that your own riff?" which i find quite amusing.
Samuele

I've had this record for a few days, and to me it's... spellbinding. A masterpiece. If "Get Out Of My Yard" was Paul's best, then this one is just as exceptional in the guitar work department, but maybe it delves even a notch deeper in the songwriting realm. I mean, on "Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar" there are a little more songs that I am fond of.

My favorites are (at the moment) I Cannot Tell A Lie, Paul vs. Godzilla, The Gargoyle, Norwegian Cowbell and Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar. Then I really dig Eudaimonia Overture, Suite Modale, I Still Have That Other Girl and Bronx 1971, too. It's hard to pick single songs, though.

In my opinion, Paul has been combining his extreme technical work with his melodic sensibilities now more than ever. Perhaps that's why this record is so appealing to so many people.
Guitarmiester

His latest album is so much better than GOOMY. His phrasing, melody, riffs, solos, harmonies, etc. are what make this album so good. I didn't have my hopes up since I found GOOMY to be a disappointment, but Pablo really delivered with SFBADR.

I thought 'Get Out Of My Yard' was fun, interesting, and a great display of technique but I also thought it was somewhat dry and grew tired with repeated listenings. I have high hopes for 'SFBADR' though.
Real_Confusions

I love Paul Gilbert and honestly believe he's in the list of top three guitarists of all time. The problem I have with his new albums is that I think he tries to force instrumentals. Don't get me wrong they're all okay, and some of them are very, very good, but Paul strikes me as more of a singer/songwriter. The best analogy I can use is to compare him to Jimi Hendrix, in this regard. I mean, sure if Hendrix came out with an all instrumental album the guitar playing would be great, but would anyone really want to listen to it? It wouldn't be his style. I thoroughly enjoy hearing Paul sing and wish he would continue to do it in his future albums.
Big Bad Bill

Real_Confusions wrote:I mean, sure if Hendrix came out with an all instrumental album the guitar playing would be great, but would anyone really want to listen to it? It wouldn't be his style.
Hendrix was an awful singer, so I'd be more interested, especially if he'd tune his guitar as well!:wink:

I really do think PG is credible as both a song writer and an instrumental player, but I do lean more toward the instrumental stuff-just my preference. 'King of Clubs' was really really great, but they were bubblegum 'pop' songs which I love from time to time, but in the instrumental realm, PG can lend his writing skills to any genre.
lydian2000

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Real_Confusions wrote:I mean, sure if Hendrix came out with an all instrumental album the guitar playing would be great, but would anyone really want to listen to it? It wouldn't be his style.
Hendrix was an awful singer, so I'd be more interested, especially if he'd tune his guitar as well!:wink:
Ouch and double ouch...guyz I usually trust your judgements on many things musically but this time I must strongly disagree...hendrix being out of tune? an awful singer? well then I can easily think of a plethora of famous guitarists/singers that even to this day will never sound nearly as good as he did, guitar and voice. having said that, I do not believe he is God...just one of the greatest 20th century musicians.

:wink:

No, Hendrix was a god awful singer. So was Dylan. But I love listening to both of them. They're two of the greatest musicians of all time. But neither is a good example of a decent vocalist.
Big Bad Bill

27 wrote:No, Hendrix was a god awful singer. So was Dylan.
When I hear Dylan sing, I want to hit people with sections of timber, smash shop fronts and loot, set fire to cars that are legally parked in designated metered areas, and point and laugh at 'ugly people' on the tram. Surely I'm not unique in this?
notavirtuoso

A friend of mine took his dad to see Dylan several years ago, as he was a big fan from the 60's. After about 30 minutes, the dad says to his son, "Jeff, I don't want to be unappreciative, but I can't stand listening to his voice anymore. He's ruining all my memories of what he used to sound like and I don't want to watch anymore."