Atypical Christmas Music

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Big Bad Bill

Atypical Christmas Music

#1 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:32 am

Does anyone else associate Christmas with an album, music or track that isn't obviously to do with Christmas? If so, how has the association developed?

For example, Engima's 'MCMXC AD' really puts me in a Christmassy mood, albeit in a bleak, medieval one, but other than the religious/Monastic imagery, I can't figure out why. Its actually about the Marquis de Sade!

<Mike>

#2 Post by <Mike> » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:36 am

Swedish folk songs.... I hate them so much.... but they have to do with christmas so I'm not rly answering your question there...

Last christmas I got "The Extremist" cd by Joe Satch and "Summer song" was one of my absolute fav songs on there so I learned it around christmas. Therefore I think of christmas when I hear Summer song... :roll:

Big Bad Bill

#3 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:44 am

<Mike> wrote:Therefore I think of christmas when I hear Summer song... :roll:
:lol: how ironic considering the time of year and what its doing outside (weather-wise)!

boswell

#4 Post by boswell » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:53 am

Fortunately none other than xmas songs remind me of xmas

leigh01

#5 Post by leigh01 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:56 am

Weirdly, Steve Vai's the Ultra Zone. I'm assuming its because I played this album constantly last year, and the year before that, and possibly the year before that.? :? :D lol

Booligan

#6 Post by Booligan » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:43 am

The Christmas song (aka Chestnuts roasting on an open fire)
Silent night
Jingle bells
most songs by Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Big Bad Bill

#7 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:42 pm

Booligan wrote:The Christmas song (aka Chestnuts roasting on an open fire)
Silent night
Jingle bells
I was thinking of songs not traditionally associated with Christmas, Booligan!

Booligan

#8 Post by Booligan » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:51 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Booligan wrote:The Christmas song (aka Chestnuts roasting on an open fire)
Silent night
Jingle bells
I was thinking of songs not traditionally associated with Christmas, Booligan!
whoops, i´d better start reading the opening posts :lol: my bad

Booligan

#9 Post by Booligan » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:53 pm

only song i can really think of right now is Candlelight fantasia by Symphony X. it has a "christmasy-ish" atmosphere and feel to it.

notavirtuoso

#10 Post by notavirtuoso » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:56 pm

Nothing gets me in the Christmas spirit quite like listening to just about anything by Megadeth. :wink:

saraht

#11 Post by saraht » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:01 pm

I really associate all the songs from the movie Labyrinth with Christmas, particularly As the world falls down.

I went through a stage of being absolutely obsessed with Labyrinth when I was a child, and I have a vague recollection of watching it for the first time (a pirated copy, I believe!) at my cousin's house on Christmas day one year, so that must've been how the association developed.

I still think it's an excellent film.... in fact I might rent it, for old times sake!

Big Bad Bill

#12 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:22 am

saraht wrote:I really associate all the songs from the movie Labyrinth with Christmas, particularly As the world falls down.
That's the Bowie film, isn't it? I think I've seen bits of it: its one of those films that's on late when you get back from the pub but you never manage to see all of it!

So the time of listening seems to be critical in forging an association. I suspected this'd be the case and this steers when I firs listen to albums. If I'm in a bad mood (which was 7 minutes back in 1997) or stressed etc etc I'll put off listening to a new album in order to avoid a negative association. Or I'll purposely listen to a song durig a certain time to help me recall memories from that time. For example, when I was about to go to India to do that TV show, I listened to Madonna's 'Rain' just before and while I was out there. Now when I want to evoke feeling of that trip, I just have to listen to 'Rain' Anyway.................

boswell

#13 Post by boswell » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:15 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:I suspected this'd be the case and this steers when I firs listen to albums. If I'm in a bad mood (which was 7 minutes back in 1997)
So u have been depressed?..............tell me about your childhood.... :wink:

Big Bad Bill

#14 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:59 am

Well, I was brought up in a non-Western household so Christmas was only viewed from the outside. Ok my parents pitied me and bought me the odd present, an orange, a hoop and stick, the Vai Box set, but I never really felt part of Christmas. Until one year, my Mum went up into the loft to retrieve the rudimentary Christmas decorations to discover an exciting present she has bought me for the previous year but forgotten to give me! I was overjoyed-shame it was a puppy.............. :shock:

boswell

#15 Post by boswell » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:15 am

Ok...OK....now look at these ink blots and tell me the first thing that comes into your mind.