Jazz

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Dyens

I am curious to hear what everyone thinks of jazz music. When I say jazz, I don't mean jazz fusion with a focus on guitar playing. What do you all think of John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Eric Dolphy, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk and all of the other giants of the past? What do you think of Kenny Garrett, Christian McBride, Dave Douglas and the other modern players?
Big Bad Bill

'Trad Jazz' or 'New Orleans Jazz' leaves me cold, or anything with singing in it-which seems contradictory to the improvisational nature of Jazz (unless its scat singing of course) .

I do like virtuosity in Jazz music like Allan Holdsworth or Courtney Pine et al. I love John McClaughlin.
NantucketSleighrider

Dyens wrote:John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Eric Dolphy, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk and all of the other giants of the past?
LOVE EM! And its nice to hear Eric Dolphy get a mention! He normally gets overlooked in favour of Coltrane, but if you ask me, hes just as exciting! "Out To Lunch" and "Out There" are two of the greatest albums ever recorded if you ask me!
If I'm being honest, Miles Davis is always someone who I have admired, but never had much of an emotional attatchment to his music, wheras Coltrane and Mingus always get my blood pumping.

May I also throw into this thread, the names of other "giants" of the past who I love, and mabye some top albums!

Wayne Shorter (Juju)
Ornette Coleman (The Shape of Jazz to Come)
Rahsaan Roland Kirk (The Inflated Tear, Volunteered Slavery)
McCoy Tyner (The Real McCoy)
Sun Ra (Anything you can get a hold of!)
Art Blakey (Thunder Suite)
Jack McDuff (Brother Jack)
Instrumentalrockrocks

I like most of the jazz around there...

Like say:
John Scofield, Pat Metheny, Chet Baker, Chick Corea, Eric Marienthal, John Coltrane, Jamie Cullum, Frank Sinatra...
and who knows what else in the future! :wink:

Shred On :guitar
lydian2000

Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:I like most of the jazz around there...

Like say:
John Scofield, Pat Metheny, Chet Baker, Chick Corea, Eric Marienthal, John Coltrane, Jamie Cullum, Frank Sinatra...

I like every name in your list but I think jamie cullum is hugely overrated as a jazz musician, he's got the good looks the coolness some chops , but when he just rearranging old classic jazz themes and call them its original work he loses all credibilty to me. I prefer Diana Krall but jazz purists would burn me for even thinking that though!

:peace
Dyens

Nantucket, you are right on. I was listening to Out To Lunch just this afternoon. THOSE GUYS LISTEN TO EACH OTHER SO WELL! Thats what its all about, really. The whole point of free jazz is to see how well you can lock on to an ever changing texture and the only way to do it is as a team. They nail it.

Big Bad Bill, if you want some virtuosity in jazz, why not grab a Coltrane record or two? Or some Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers with Wayne Shorter and Lee Morgan in the front line? Coltrane practiced hours upon hours a day. When he played gigs, he would practice while his side men took solos. Other jazz gods like Charlie Parker were known to practice 13 hours a day or more! These guys had chops to the max but that was totally not the point. Enjoy a few Thelonious Monk albums and you'll see that he was doing brilliant things within his limitations. It was his limitations that made him the great musician that he was. My favorite Monk track is probably "Locomotion" off of Straight No Chaser. I like what he does under Charlie Rouse's solo more than anything. He listens so well and uses Rouse's already brilliant ideas to make an even more stunning sonic texture.

What is really great about some of these guys is that, while they died very young (many died before even reaching 30), they totally reinvented the vocabulary of the genre. Parker, Morgan, and Clifford Brown are perfect examples. The musical envelope was pushed non stop. I have respect to no end for for all of the jazz musicians that we now think of as great.

And, by the way Nantucket, did you ever hear the stories that Roland Kirk could breathe through his ears?! I don't know if I believe it, but the true stories about him are wild enough!
Instrumentalrockrocks

lydian2000 wrote:

Like say:

I like every name in your list but I think jamie cullum is hugely overrated as a jazz musician, he's got the good looks the coolness some chops , but when he just rearranging old classic jazz themes and call them its original work he loses all credibilty to me. I prefer Diana Krall but jazz purists would burn me for even thinking that though!

:peace
As you can expect: I do not agree :wink:

I don't care Jamie Cullum is overrated as a JAZZ musician...
Maybe his music is too 'commercial' and 'pop-like' but I don't care!
I like most of his more traditional jazz songs and you can't deny the fact he is an awesome piano player (even if you don't consider his age)

Dyens

I don't even think Cullum is a great piano player. When I think of great piano players, I think of Bill Evans.
Instrumentalrockrocks

Dyens wrote:I don't even think Cullum is a great piano player. When I think of great piano players, I think of Bill Evans.
hmm
Maybe you should check out these videos... maybe you'll change your opinion :P
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=TWTEfhhZXK4
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=F1r6GcPqFSo

Dyens

Thats fine and all. The quote from "Straight, No Chaser" was cute. But I still wouldn't call him anything special.
Instrumentalrockrocks

hmm ok you win :wink:
in the end everyone's got their own opinion 8)

jemgirl

Like say:

count me in instrumental!!!
Instrumentalrockrocks

jemgirl wrote:

Like say:

for every single one of them? :roll:

jemgirl

Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:
jemgirl wrote:

Like say:

for every single one of them? :roll:

well,..pat metheny , john coltrane , chet baker , chick corea , john scotfield are my favorites!!!

Dyens

Coltrane is amazing. Lately, I've been really into some of the lesser known guys that Coltrane respected a lot. Namely, Albert Ayler and Sun Ra.