Writing Style vs Listening Style

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
guyver_dio

I think style is the wrong word but I can't seem to choose the right word to explain what I mean so I'll throw a few words together to form sentences and see if I can get the idea across. Does anyone here find that the style of music they write is usually quite different from what they like to listen to? If you notice this, what kind of music do you seem to create majority of the time when writing and what is the most common style of music from other artists you listen to.

I notice this recently when I went through my folder of assorted ideas and riffs I've jotted down over the months and thought it was strange. These days I listen to alot of metal love ballads or bands like Foreigner and Journey (still enjoy steve and instrumental music but just drawn to other things atm), and for lyrical content I'm listen to alot of tool and nine inch nails. But when I feel a creative moment come along it's usually when I'm noodling around on the acoustic and it always seem to be like finger picking lullaby type melodies. I enjoy rockin out on the electric too but I don't feel as creative or spontaneous as I do with the acoustic which is weird cause I hardly ever listen to acoustic music. Thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss.
Big Bad Bill

In my case, guyver_dio, this is usually down to an inability to write anything as complex as the music I listen to-nothing more!
GregN

Big Bad Bill wrote:In my case, guyver_dio, this is usually down to an inability to write anything as complex as the music I listen to-nothing more!
+1 for that.

and on top of that, ill think of some super crazy technical thing when im jsut like stiting in class or sumting...and then ill forget it by the time i get home :lol:
lydian2000

guyver_dio wrote:I think style is the wrong word but I can't seem to choose the right word to explain what I mean so I'll throw a few words together to form sentences and see if I can get the idea across. Does anyone here find that the style of music they write is usually quite different from what they like to listen to? If you notice this, what kind of music do you seem to create majority of the time when writing and what is the most common style of music from other artists you listen to.

I notice this recently when I went through my folder of assorted ideas and riffs I've jotted down over the months and thought it was strange. These days I listen to alot of metal love ballads or bands like Foreigner and Journey (still enjoy steve and instrumental music but just drawn to other things atm), and for lyrical content I'm listen to alot of tool and nine inch nails. But when I feel a creative moment come along it's usually when I'm noodling around on the acoustic and it always seem to be like finger picking lullaby type melodies. I enjoy rockin out on the electric too but I don't feel as creative or spontaneous as I do with the acoustic which is weird cause I hardly ever listen to acoustic music. Thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss.
I feel exactly the same, the music I write is very different from what I listen to, so much that I've recently been trying to create music that is closer somehow to what I listen to. But I think that it depends as well on what amount of musical knowledge or musical skills one has on an instrument, for example if it's guitar I come up with things that reflect 60% of of my actual playing level(dunno If I'm making any sense here but thses things are hard to describe)
Ugur Dariveren

I have same thing too. I never heard my influences in my music/playing.
notavirtuoso

I don't hear my influences either, but I wonder if other people can? I don't know. What I play is quite a bit different than what I listen to probably like others here because of my abilities or at least in part. I've been playing a whole lot more acoustic than ever before the last few months. Usually when I get on an acoustic binge, it's because a new song or album or whatever with a lot of acoustic work in it has inspired me. Not this time. For some reason I'm just having more luck writing with the acoustic.
Stephen Brown

I'm terrified of being a clone the moment I hit the fretboard. I try to play my way out of it. Both mentally & physically but who knows. On the other hand there is nothing wrong with having your influences shine through with your playing. My playing hero's were influnces at some point. They are proud of them to.

Music wise I've tried all types of methods. Try not to listen to any music, see what I come out with. Broad spectrum type deal, everything I can. Try listening to very un-guitar music to see where it can go. Drum & Bass, The Prodigy, River Dance, beats. Lord of the Dance, ...etc.

Most of all now, I try not to think about it to much.

Like a English teach looking at similes & metaphors in a book. Sentence structures, paragraphs. Sometimes that can be consuming in itself & one can miss the point of the book. Still has to be learn't & absorbed though or you wouldn't be aware of the building block's.

Again..who knows.

Writing Style vs Listening Style

Great topic.
<Mike>

I know exactly what you mean and it's the same with me. I listen to... hum...
Well ok I listen to Angra, Dream Theater, Steve Vai... not much more than that. To be honest I don't listen to perticulary much music at all.

Anyway what I write is totally diffrent. I'm even having a hard time finding anything close to influences from what I listen to.
I write mostly orchestral music. (And I don't like orchestral music at all. Classical music and stuff don't appeal to me)
I also write some kind of game music. Atmospheric stuff I guess. And right now I'm working on some egyptian metal kind of thing.
And my lyrics are deep and emotional I guess. Not neccessarily good but deep.

And Big Bad Ball, I wouldn't agree with what you say about that you have to be theoretically more advanced to write more complex music (if that was what you meant). To be a lil cheesy I'd say that, in the end, all music comes from the heart.
I suppose that, for some, theory could help a lot though. Perhaps for all even. I guess I'll find out as I go.
guitarbonham

I llisten to just about everything jazz to classical blues to heavy metal. My fav is prolly progressive rock and by far my fav artist is steve vai. when i wite music i get stuff spreading accross all the genres a bit... but the two things i end up with most are kinda jazzy lullaby kinda things that sound really kewl and dreamtheater style progressive rock metal. reallyw erid cuz those 2 things are totally different lol but thats what typically happens lol.
Zebula77

I write all kinds of stuff. Usually I just start out with a melody or a chord progression and see where it goes from there. I usually don't have a set idea what a song is going to end up like, which means that I don't have a 'style' of song that I write. It's all kinds of genres, really. So far my stuff seems to be instrumental progressive ethnically-tinged experimental guitar music. Something like that. :wink:
Incestuous_Monk

I love this thread. It's something I've been thinking of mentioning too.

I listen to mostly rock/metal (Devin Townsend, Impellitteri, Vai, DT, Malmsteen etc...), classical, acoustic (Tommy Emmanuel, Erik Mongrain...) and some more contemporary jazz. I don't really listen to pop or rap.

Please tell me why every song I write is a pop ballad??!! I can't explain it other than I love chordal playing and I love to come up with sweet vocal melodies. Maybe I'm destined to become a pop writer - which I actually would like! I don't have a clue when it comes to pop music though - I just don't listen to it - but yet I can write in that style?

A very perplexed,

Steve :)
leigh01

I found That about a year ago I sucked a writing lyrics and coming up with guitar riffs and vamps etc..... and the guitar stuff always sounded like crappy punk (no offence to anyone, I just dont like punk) and my lyrics used to be metal and very corny, and I was into vai then too, so I wanted to come up with vai like stuff.
But now I think I've improved hugely as a guitarist (creative side) and I can come up with like 30 riffs, melodies, chordal vamps etc... daily all what I enjoy too. so I just think its one of those things that improves with experiance, I still suck at lyrics though. :lol: :oops:
Benjammin105

I'm finding that I tend to rob the mood of the music I'm listening to at the time. But my playing has become well defined as a big mixture of all the music I've studied over the years. I find I really like to listen to a lot of really simple songs that just sound good as a band. Then if I decide to learn it, I find it not really all that interesting but it becomes good again when me and the guys cover it. Strangest thing how a song can go from cool to boring to cool again.

get a six pack in a month