Who Downloads Music (File Sharing) Be Honest?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.

Do you Download Free Music?

Yes
16%
Yes
16%
Yes
16%
Yes
16%
No
9%
No
9%
No
9%
No
9%

Total votes: 148

RAI

#16 Post by RAI » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:58 pm

Zebula77 wrote:Also, sometimes my cds might get scratches or whatnot and so then I just download the album. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Sometimes my car gets a little banged up, and just doesn't seem to run as well as it used to.
I just go to the nearest car lot and swipe a new one of the lot.
No worries, I already paid for it once...

:wink:

al

#17 Post by al » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:43 pm

sounds fair

notavirtuoso

#18 Post by notavirtuoso » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:17 pm

As far as scratching up discs, I'm probably the worst. They get tossed around in the truck or left unprotected on my desk and whatnot, so I came up with a solution. When I first buy a new CD, I open it at home and burn it onto my computer. Then I'll burn a disc to put in the truck. When it gets trashed I burn another copy. Meanwhile the original is pristine on a shelf. I realize this isn't a practical solution for everyone, as blank discs cost money too, but it works for me. No, I don't burn copies for friends, but I have made up a couple of "sampler" discs with selections my Steve or Joe to give to a buddy unfamiliar with their music to kind of get them into it. A friend of mine is now a pretty big Gilbert fan (bought four or five of his CDs) since I made him a Gilberto sampler.

Naffis-kun

#19 Post by Naffis-kun » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:32 am

The poll question says "Do you Download Free Music?".
I hate to nitpick, but downloading free music means that you download the music with the approval from the artist and it is legal.
But I think this topic is about downloading commercial music.

I myself do not download commercial music because it's illegal (in my country). But I don't judge anyone who downloads music illegally because the truth is that music is way too expensive (before starting to rant about cd's being reasonably priced, let me inform you that new cd's can cost almost 25-30 dollars in Finland).
Seriously, the "if you can't afford it, just don't listen to music anymore" attitude is not helping anyone. There are poor people that need music, too. I honestly believe everyone has the right to enjoy culture. Culture should be cherished and spread to everyone who wants to enjoy it.

..by the way, what's with the copy protections and usage limitations to the $20 album I just bought? If I spend big on music, I want my rights to listen to the damn cd.

Big Bad Bill

#20 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:24 am

NantucketSleighrider wrote:I have never been into the whole download thing, even paying for downloads, I'd much rather own an actual CD. An album is something to be experienced, to be something that has to be listen to in its entirety, so I don't get it when people download like, the 5 most well known songs by an artist, they are missing out on so much.
Well, most 'popular artists' don't have the sort of continuity that say a Vai album has. So randon, individual, legal downloads of a Maroon 5 songs or a Pink album, would in no way affect the flow (if they even have such a thing) of the whole.
NantucketSleighrider wrote:Even downloading a whole album and putting it onto a CD, it's not the same as having the album, the complete package, the music, the artwork, the full outfit.
Yeah, I agree! I always thought it'd be a great idea if labels made the full artwork available as files (pdf) on their CD so that one could print them out in a large format. That way we could have our beloved gatefold albums back again.

Having said all that, there's a certain 'purity' to simply and legally downloading mp3's. You're experiencing just the music without being influenced by the, what is essentially, packaging. A fine wine is a fine wine whether its served straight into your glass or poured from a cut crystal decantor by a wine ponce in a dinner jacket! I remember buying a Tool album, partly on the alluring strength of the cover, the booklet with all its intricate designs and transparent pages etc etc. The music was very average, according to my tastes and so it was auctioned away!

NantucketSleighrider wrote:I am expecting at least one response saying, "Well, what if I only want one of the songs on the album because all the other songs are crap?" If thats your opinion, then you should seriously reconsider the music you choose to listen to!
Well, I think that's slightly unfair. I know people who think that FTLOG is a brilliant piece of music, but would hate the rest of P&W's weirdness :shock: (notice they're no longer my friends). So why shouldn't they download just that track? At least they're getting something that their taste suggests is good music and Steve's getting some income!

Booligan

#21 Post by Booligan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:40 am

*in the abba melody* i do i do i do i do i doooooo

not that much, i still buy 95% of my music. sometimes i just like to check out some albums if they are worth buying. if they are worthy, i will buy them. if they aren´t worthy, i usually delete them so they won´t waste my hd space :P

budt

#22 Post by budt » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:32 am

notavirtuoso wrote:No, never have. Excepting songs that the artist intended to have downloaded for free. I have/will stream songs or videos from places like youtube, but that's about it.
Same here. I don't even HAVE file sharing software. But I have to say something ...

Those of us that remember the days of vinyl albums saw CDs wipe them out. Music lovers everywhere were re-purchasing their ENTIRE COLLECTION in the new format. Not only that, back then CDs cost double that of an album. MAJOR LABELS were making money HAND OVER FIST because we all had to RE-PURCHASE music that we ALREADY OWNED! 90% of the artists got screwed, independent labels got screwed and music consumers got screwed. So if file sharing has hurt the industry, it breaks my heart.

BoonDog

#23 Post by BoonDog » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:59 am

I use torrents for sure.

With my ecleptic taste in music i like to listen before i buy as the issue here for a lot of people is the outlay on something you not sure your going to like. its like russiin roulette with your money!
So many artiest with so many Middle Of the Road music!

I listen before i buy; I pledge allegances to the artist's i like, kinda like a promise that if i like the album i will buy it! For sure there are artists such as Above and Beyond;Massive Attack; Biffy Clyro; Gordian Knott that would not of had a look in if i hadnt of sampled their music from the torrent sites first.

The torrent sites provide people with chance and opportunity, what ever your choice, what ever your opinon i respect it, but i exercise my right of freewill and choice to listen to artists, but i also make my choice to buy an album if i like it.

Regards

Boondog

applesteam

#24 Post by applesteam » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:05 pm

I am a music Junkie and if theres a song that I want then I will do whatever it takes to get my hands on it, and often that means 'stealing' it.
In the case of artists and bands that I really like and admire (Vai, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Zappa) I will buy the origional cd's,out of respect, and also because I like to have them, look at the artwork, photos, lyrics,etc.
But if theres a particular song that I want by an artist, then i don't see the point in buying a whole album when all I want is one song.
I will rarely download entire albums by anyone, but I have on occassion.The main reason being that cd's here in Ireland are ridiciously over-priced, and as a college student I'm very poor.

Mr Clark

#25 Post by Mr Clark » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:51 pm

Zebula77 wrote:I download yeah, sure. But I always buy the stuff I like, so I don't really feel bad about it. Also, sometimes my cds might get scratches or whatnot and so then I just download the album. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Just about sums me up.. when i'm after something new i explore by downloading, and if i like it i buy it, otherwise it gets the bin..

edit: on the "downloading because the cd is unreadable/lost/stolen/broken", there's no harm in that, you've bought the album, you've payed for the right to "own" those songs, so why pay again for something that's already yours? what's the difference between owning an album and putting it on your pc and owning an album and downloading that very same album onto your pc? none.. the effect is the same :roll:

Bryceybhoy

#26 Post by Bryceybhoy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:49 am

IF EVERYBODY DOWNLOADED STEVE'S MUSIC FOR FREE, IN TIME THERE WOULD BE NO MUSIC TO LISTEN TO.

It's stealing.

No exceptions.

guyver_dio

#27 Post by guyver_dio » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:05 am

Bryceybhoy wrote:IF EVERYBODY DOWNLOADED STEVE'S MUSIC FOR FREE, IN TIME THERE WOULD BE NO MUSIC TO LISTEN TO.

It's stealing.

No exceptions.
nah in time he'd have to stop recording all together because he can't pay for it, so he'll be forced to do nothing but gig, and any new music he writes will only be available at his shows so everyone will have no choice but to go to the concert. Thus recuperating his losses. Let's make steve so poor that he gets rich again :P :wink: :twisted:

I think that's enough smilies to guard me from the serious sam's and sandy's out there.

Bryceybhoy

#28 Post by Bryceybhoy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:27 am

guyver_dio wrote:
Bryceybhoy wrote:IF EVERYBODY DOWNLOADED STEVE'S MUSIC FOR FREE, IN TIME THERE WOULD BE NO MUSIC TO LISTEN TO.

It's stealing.

No exceptions.
nah in time he'd have to stop recording all together because he can't pay for it, so he'll be forced to do nothing but gig, and any new music he writes will only be available at his shows so everyone will have no choice but to go to the concert. Thus recuperating his losses. Let's make steve so poor that he gets rich again :P :wink: :twisted:

I think that's enough smilies to guard me from the serious sam's and sandy's out there.
So you think Steve should have to actually manufacture his CDs because his "fans" would rather steal them than pay for them?

What a lovely world we live in.

Mr Clark

#29 Post by Mr Clark » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:11 am

i'd like all major artists to follow the example set by radiohead.. so we can really give our money to the artist, without a whole industry leeching :roll: this can be done only with internet.. cd and digitalized music distribution directly from the artist's site.

guyver_dio

#30 Post by guyver_dio » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:24 am

I'm playing around obviously, your statement just made me go into my fantasy world and I just had to spew out the unlikely scenario that would happen in that event. It's good you feel so strongly about it, My little interruptions are by no means challenging your opinion lol. When it comes to this subject and having discussed it for the trillionth time on the internet I really couldn't be arsed to be so damn serious about it anymore, opinions don't change shit. Unless you got an idea of how to properly police it or a better way to prevent it the best thing you can possibly do is not partake in it yourself, and by the looks you've done that. I will say I fully encourage the idea of artists using the internet to market and sell there music themselves at a much lower price. If you've ever read the text documents that come along with the music in torrent files that the person that has made the torrent file has written (there is probably a totally better way of writing that sentence lol), it's interesting to see these people do have strong feelings and are dead against recording companies for the obvious reasons, which looks to me like these people are modern day protesters and not just cheap assholes that are ripping the artists off (Ofcourse this doesn't mean they are all like this). Considering this, this new way artists have found that makes them more profit per song then recording under a label, I think it will at least deter a fair few of the freeloaders from downloading for free.

This message will self destruct in 15 seconds.
Last edited by guyver_dio on Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.