Who Downloads Music (File Sharing) Be Honest?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.

Do you Download Free Music?

Yes
16%
Yes
16%
Yes
16%
Yes
16%
No
9%
No
9%
No
9%
No
9%

Total votes: 148

call_of_ktulu

Who Downloads Music (File Sharing) Be Honest?

#1 Post by call_of_ktulu » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:07 am

Do u download or not? :?:

RAI

#2 Post by RAI » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:11 am

Ain't happening, and never will....

notavirtuoso

#3 Post by notavirtuoso » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:41 am

No, never have. Excepting songs that the artist intended to have downloaded for free. I have/will stream songs or videos from places like youtube, but that's about it.

Big Bad Bill

#4 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:57 am

Illegal downloading? No, it's stealing. Besides its all available legally for next to nothing-albums for £7.99! Single tracks for £0.79!! So reasonable.

Shredded Heat

#5 Post by Shredded Heat » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:42 am

If I buy a CD and it gets scratched or ceases to work properly (or worse, someone steals it from me), I think it's fair to download it without stumping up for a new one.

Big Bad Bill

#6 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:31 am

Besides where the hell do you get free downloads from? I've never come across them. By the way, that's a rhetorical question, please don't post any illegal download websites.

<Mike>

#7 Post by <Mike> » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:13 am

Well a poor guy as myself can't even spend "only £7.99" per album. If I'd be buying all the cd's form people I wanna check out, I wouldn't be able to buy anything else. Clothes, food, music gear etc.

Therefore I have no other option. Cause I love music.

But! I do buy practically every album I really like. For example I have been able to buy Live at astoria and 5 more vai cd's. I have 3 Satch cd's+1 satch dvd, 5 Dream Theater cd's + Live in new york and Score dvd. Also an angra album, some Blind Guardian albums and then some random albums that I've liked.
All and all I have bought 24 cd's and 4 dvd's. Pretty good for a guy with my wallet size imo.

So I don't really consider myself a serious law breaker, even though I am. In many cases it's about myself exploring diffrent styles in playing.

al

#8 Post by al » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:54 am

all the cds i buy are usually never in record shops anyways, cept wen someone releases something big i like,

but for the odd random song or two i'll hear ill go and download it

f it :)

Breeder

#9 Post by Breeder » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:13 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:Besides where the hell do you get free downloads from? I've never come across them. By the way, that's a rhetorical question, please don't post any illegal download websites.
you can get it on torrents and other p2p services,rapidshare etc etc

<Mike> wrote:Well a poor guy as myself can't even spend "only £7.99" per album. If I'd be buying all the cd's form people I wanna check out, I wouldn't be able to buy anything else. Clothes, food, music gear etc.

Therefore I have no other option. Cause I love music.

But! I do buy practically every album I really like. For example I have been able to buy Live at astoria and 5 more vai cd's. I have 3 Satch cd's+1 satch dvd, 5 Dream Theater cd's + Live in new york and Score dvd. Also an angra album, some Blind Guardian albums and then some random albums that I've liked.
All and all I have bought 24 cd's and 4 dvd's. Pretty good for a guy with my wallet size imo.

So I don't really consider myself a serious law breaker, even though I am. In many cases it's about myself exploring diffrent styles in playing.
+1

notavirtuoso

#10 Post by notavirtuoso » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:08 pm

If you really love guitars but can't afford them it isn't ok to steal them. Why so with music?

Zebula77

#11 Post by Zebula77 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:07 pm

I download yeah, sure. But I always buy the stuff I like, so I don't really feel bad about it. Also, sometimes my cds might get scratches or whatnot and so then I just download the album. I don't see anything wrong with that.

NantucketSleighrider

#12 Post by NantucketSleighrider » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Zebula77 wrote:Also, sometimes my cds might get scratches or whatnot and so then I just download the album.
Not having a go mate, but thats a poor reason! haha

I have never been into the whole download thing, even paying for downloads, I'd much rather own an actual CD. An album is something to be experienced, to be something that has to be listen to in its entirety, so I don't get it when people download like, the 5 most well known songs by an artist, they are missing out on so much. Even downloading a whole album and putting it onto a CD, it's not the same as having the album, the complete package, the music, the artwork, the full outfit.
I don't want to sound like I'm having a go at people who download music, because frankly I don't care what you do, legal or not, but I think that with obtaining music unofficially, you are missing out. Because however much you dress it up, whether you leave the MP3's on your computer, or put them on CD and make your own covers etc, its still fake. People have spent hours and hours of time, and thousand of pounds making this stuff, the least you can do is spent 8 quid getting it properly!
I am expecting at least one response saying, "Well, what if I only want one of the songs on the album because all the other songs are crap?" If thats your opinion, then you should seriously reconsider the music you choose to listen to!

<Mike>

#13 Post by <Mike> » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Zebula77 wrote:I download yeah, sure. But I always buy the stuff I like, so I don't really feel bad about it. Also, sometimes my cds might get scratches or whatnot and so then I just download the album. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Even though I do the same thing (except scratching my cd's, I'm way to careful to do that) I have to admit that there Is something wrong with it. I do consider it stealing and I would really want to have the money to buy albums.

And it's not the same with stealing a guitar cause when you download music you copy the music. You can't just copy a guitar.
I understand what you mean though.

Zebula77

#14 Post by Zebula77 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:07 pm

Well, look at it this way. I've bought probably some 20 albums the past few years based solely on the fact that I downloaded them. Those are albums I never would have heard or bought if not. I use file sharing as a tool to 'try before I buy' if you like.

For example, I never would have gotten into Devin Townsend's solo albums if not. I wouldn't have bought his albums on a hope that maybe they were good. I don't do that, and in this town I can't go listen to albums like that in the stores because they only sell the mainstream bestseller shit.

So, in effect I'm not stealing from anybody since I pay for the albums.

guyver_dio

#15 Post by guyver_dio » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:01 pm

I download a fuckload. But I also buy a fuckload. I love music so I like as much of it as possible. To do that the sweet and innocent way would bankrupt me, 25-30 AUD dollars for an album can blow itself. I always buy dvd's but albums take some serious persuasion, but every artist I've ever liked I've supported in some way and will continue to support them. Internet and downloading has allowed me to experience 1000s of bands across the board, whereas like in the old days where the only way to hear a band was to buy the album, by the time I'm 40 I'd know like 3 bands. That's why my generation is just better at everything in every possible way and you old codgers will end up dying with less knowledge :P :wink:

btw I've missed 2 nights of sleep so far so I'm just typing without thought cause my bodies stuck in autopilot so I'm probably just talking some serious shit.