Musicals anyone?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
NantucketSleighrider

Musicals anyone?

#1 Post by NantucketSleighrider » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:56 pm

I don't know if I am just asking to be ridiculed here on not, but I will give it a go?

Anyone a fan of musicals? I have had an interest in drama since I was very young, and to this very day still love the odd musical. My favourites are "Fiddler on the Roof", "Carousel" and "Brigadoon", there are some real tearjerkers in those three. I have always thought Rogers and Hammerstein are two of the greatest writers/composers of all time.

So, musicals anyone?

Big Bad Bill

#2 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:48 pm

I have to say that my idea of a living hell is being subjected to any musical. I really hate 'em!

notavirtuoso

#3 Post by notavirtuoso » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:07 pm

Which circle of hell would that be in, Bill? I'm thinking Bolgia 9 of the Eighth Circle. The way musicals never end seems appropriate for something that slices you, lets you heal then slices you again.

I've never liked musicals, probably because my mother all but forced me to watch them because she liked them. Probably the same reason I can't get into Elvis, because of all those stupid movies I was also forced to watch.

guyver_dio

#4 Post by guyver_dio » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:01 pm

I don't mind rock musicals, Jesus Christ Superstar is still one of my favs, some others I like are Jon English's Paris, Hair, Tommy and War of the Worlds was probably one of the better ones visually. All the other shit is always full of awful acting and amateur singing. I saw west side story one time, it was like a tranq.

A metal opera I'd love to put on a stage or see is Avantasia or Aina, unfortunately I don't think it's ever been done. That would be so damn fun being the guitarist for that but the hardest part and probably the reason it's never been taken to stage is getting a group of singers in the same area that can handle it.

I never liked those elvis movies either lol, couldn't look at anything other then the glare from the 12 gallons of pomade slicked through his hair.

Big Bad Bill

#5 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:56 am

notavirtuoso wrote:Which circle of hell would that be in, Bill? I'm thinking Bolgia 9 of the Eighth Circle. The way musicals never end seems appropriate for something that slices you, lets you heal then slices you again.
Your knowledge of Hell both intrigues and frightens me, notavirtuoso! :shock: Do you know Pinhead personally? :lol:

guyver_dio may have hit the nail on the head, if the songs were contemporary, then perhaps I could stomach them a little more, but they're so 'schmaltzy'. A heavy metal musical would be great.

I was brought up on Bollywood films by my parents which have recently become very popular over here in the UK. But the mere thought of a Bollywood film has me projectile vomiting several feet into the air now! Elvis? What's all that about? I've never understood the cult of personality that surrounds him.

thejonesfactor

#6 Post by thejonesfactor » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:19 pm

Some musicals are cool, Hair , JCS, Paint Your Wagon(the cinema version has Clint Eastwood singing), A Chorus Line, West Side Story (one of Steve's favorites too, I believe).

NantucketSleighrider

#7 Post by NantucketSleighrider » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:23 pm

So the vai.com community is split over musicals! Nice to see a bit of a debate! This is one of my all time favourite musical moments, Gordon Macrea performing the "Soliloquy" from Carousel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlzaoNUyXU

Such variation in the orchestration, and the buildup at the end send shivers down my spine every time! Well worth a watch!

Shredded Heat

#8 Post by Shredded Heat » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:17 am

I have an awkward relationship with musicals - my dad used to do a lot of amateur dramatics so I've had the likes of 'Showboat', 'Calamity Jane', 'Carousel', 'Annie get Your Gun', 'Porgy & Bess', 'The Pajama Game' etc. drilled into my brain from an early age. For the most part I'd say I hate them - lots of schmaltz and over-the-top-ness (come one, you know that's a word!) which turns me off. That said, there are a few cracking tunes to be found amidst the cheesiness, and I have been known to break into the odd rendition of a show-tune after a few shandies so they do have a certain comedy value.

It mightn't be in exactly the same category (i.e. not done for the stage) but 'The Blues Brothers' is possibly one of my favourite musicals

boswell

#9 Post by boswell » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:38 am

Loathe em

IbanezGRX
Banned

#10 Post by IbanezGRX » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:31 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:I have to say that my idea of a living hell is being subjected to any musical. I really hate 'em!
AMEN!

Obsidious

#11 Post by Obsidious » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:18 pm

guyver_dio wrote:I don't mind rock musicals, Jesus Christ Superstar is still one of my favs, some others I like are Jon English's Paris, Hair, Tommy and War of the Worlds was probably one of the better ones visually. All the other shit is always full of awful acting and amateur singing. I saw west side story one time, it was like a tranq.

A metal opera I'd love to put on a stage or see is Avantasia or Aina, unfortunately I don't think it's ever been done. That would be so damn fun being the guitarist for that but the hardest part and probably the reason it's never been taken to stage is getting a group of singers in the same area that can handle it.

I never liked those elvis movies either lol, couldn't look at anything other then the glare from the 12 gallons of pomade slicked through his hair.
Maybe we can ask Ronnie Dio and Bruce Dickinson to help with that?

acoates

#12 Post by acoates » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:56 am

Not really a musical more an operetta but pirates of penzance.

everything else is just child's play.

however I like les miserables and phantom and south park bigger longer and uncut

Trinity777

#13 Post by Trinity777 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:16 pm

I Loved the LP J.C. Superstar. went to Godspell, West Side Story when I was a young one. I always wanted to do my own version of the Rock Opera Tommy by the who.

I got to see that later in life, and saw Victor, Victoria. Cats as well.

I worked on an off, off, broadway production for a brief period on Death of an Angel ( Rock Opera ) I would say if the music is well written and there is a story line I love I'll get into it!

Just been wickedly busy lately!

Trinity777 8)

Naffis-kun

#14 Post by Naffis-kun » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:47 am

What about Devin Townsend's heavy metal musical "Ziltoid the Omniscient"?
;)

Trinity777

#15 Post by Trinity777 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:32 am

Naffis-kun wrote:What about Devin Townsend's heavy metal musical "Ziltoid the Omniscient"?
;)
Your are right Naffis-Kun we cant forget about Devin Townsends hevy metal musical " Ziltoid the Ominiscient " an excellent work of musical art!

Trinity777 8)