What is your reason???

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
another virtuoso

I've always been attracted to guitar but it wasnt until my 13th birthday i really decided that thats what i wanted.
So i played casually trying to figure out how to play a couple of my favorite songs for a few months.

Then I saw Crossroads.
boswell

Watching Bernie Torme, Ritchie Blackmore, Michael Schenker live when I was about 14.
notavirtuoso

Jimmy Page. If I hadn't heard him play some other guitarists may have influenced me to play but he was the one that did it for me.
V-type

Brad Delson of linkin park...actually :lol:
Stephen Brown

I was at a school assembly & saw a classical guitar player. I was 8 & had classical lessons from there but I didn't get on with them at all. Stopped after 3 months. Then started again at 13 & have never stopped since.
After seeing what this guy could do it really did capture my heart & mind.

I don't even know the guys name but it's all his fault. I have loads to thank him for.
IbanezGRX
Banned

Well a long time ago. My dad was watching this show and I heard guitars and stuff and I looked over.. I saw this really cool tap solo by Eddie Van Halen and right after that I saw this live vid of Steve Vai playing 'Erotic Nightmares' I saw him throw his guitar and grab his head and Run away like he was in pain. And then after that was Satriani playing this really fast solo in a dark alley. I was like.. Dad whats that show called.. It was called.. "Guitar Legends: Thru the electric age" Its sometimes on the DOC Channel still.. Shortly after that I was like dad what was that guys name that was playing that cool song in that show.. hes like Steve Vai. And I didnt know how to say his last name (I forgot at the time) I was saying.. Steve Vay.. So I went to a store and found Fire Garden.. And ever since then Steve Vai has been on my ipod. Then I saw Crossroads.. and Taped the ending of it.. and Watched it over and over again.

Ryan
Guitarmiester

I started at an early age. My dad had an electric guitar and a small Fender combo laying around that he wouldn't let me touch. I was probably about 4 then, i'd always pick at the strings when he wasn't around. Then when I was 5 my dad realized I was interested in guitar and got me a teacher. I don't know what it was, but I was so fascinated with the guitar and still am.

I played the usual stuff when I was younger, but my dad did show me a lot of cool bands along the way. Once I was in 9th grade, my friends dad showed me a video when I stopped over. It was Surfin' With The Alien by Satch, ever since seeing that video it totally changed what I listened to and was such an influence. It opened me up to so much more and guys like Satch keep me motivated to get better.
lydian2000

Led Zep.
Legbur

Purely to piss people off!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o4fEFLv3EIM

See what I mean????
:twisted:
-SkiZ-

haha it was actually system of a down and later on dream theater who made me want to form a band!
andy82

This goes way back to my childhood...

I was about 10 I think, and I thought - geez, if I can play guitar then the girls must like me.

Now thats just one 'initial' reason - all jokes aside, its my love of listening to guitars. Ever since I first started listening to music, I would tap my ear into the guitar bits rather than the vocals or drum beats etc...
Chris Brooks

Europe's "the final countdown" video had me hooked for life. I couldn't believe how much fun rocking out on stage looked. I still hear that song on the radio and tell anyone who'll listen "I started playing guitar because of this song" and after they look at me oddly, I sing along with every word. :)

Chris Brooks
jam-man

I had an old 30-40 years old classical guitar collecting dust at the top of my brother's wardrobe...I bought strings, cleaned it a bit and that's pretty much it...I just wanted to see if I could play!
CanCan

I believe that what made me want to pick up a guitar was hearing Slash's soloing and watching bands gig.
budt

Clapton's solo in Cocaine ... seriously. I immediately started playing air guitar, never having seen anyone do it before. (I was stationed in Panama at the height of the disco era when EC's Slowhand album came out.) Then when I got back to the States wouldn't you know everyone was playing air guitar. That was the funniest thing.

I still didn't act on it right away, but eventually it was Jimmy Page that made me feel like I had to play guitar for real. But I'm not addicted to it ... I can quit anytime I want ... :lol: