Jonas Helborg - Art Metal

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
prman

This will be extremely interesting. Taken from the Abstract Logix site:

"2007 Release. Jonas Hellborg launches a new platform for integration of east and west, a project called Art Metal. Borrowing the aesthetic of contemporary metal expanded with Indian and jazz improvisational disciplines, it is a proposal for what a new musical canvas could be. With long time collaborator, South Indian percussion master Selvaganesh, he explores this new path with two legends of the metal scene, Jens Johansson (Yngwie Malmsteen, Dio, Stratovarius) and Anders Johansson (Yngwie Malmsteen and Hammerfall). Completing the ensemble is Swedish guitar phenomenon Mattias IA Eklundh. The music has been slowly brewed over 18 months to find the spaces where the elements of the seemingly disparate musical traditions can comfortably coexist, even gel into new forms of sonic art. "

http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/prod ... ctid=23252

If you`ve heard it, I would be really interested to hear your opinion.
cbr1000f

http://www.hellborggroup.com/ :wink:

You can also do a forum search. There are several threads where the band has been mentioned.
spanishphrygian

Now this sounds like something that I might really like. Thanks dude.
cbr1000f

Mattias IA Eklundh wrote:From one thing to the other… Happy to say the Art Metal album is finally on its way to the pressing factory. Truly hope you are going to like it. I am very happy with the end result. It feels organic, dirty, dry, honest, to the point, groovy, sweet and… well, different from a lot of releases today. (The Mahavishnu Orchestra meets Metallica meets Carnatic music someone told me after listening to it. Sounds interesting enough to me).
Jonas and Jens Johansson mixed it during a couple of days at Hellborg’s studio on the island of Aspo, Sweden. The two turned it into something of its own. It’s very alive and doesn’t try to hide anything. Un-trendy in days of boring, stiff quantization frenzy. What you hear are five guys playing and that’s it. No bull.

A few words about the tunes:
Muthucutpor – a pretty straight forward opener and one of my favourites. Got a real cool feel to it despite the mid-tempo (that sometimes can be lame). When Jens dubbed the guitar with rough keyboard sounds, it all fell into place. Various Tihais (South Indian reduction structures) melted into the tune in a cool way. Nice, unpolished mid-section where Jonas is taking it away with his beloved thumb and I improvise over various modes, not trying to show off but merely make the music flow. Jens, Selvaganesh and Anders are keeping the beat in a grand way. Some nasty cluster guitars here and there.
This was the first song Jonas and I started to work on and it has mutated into many shapes and forms. In the end I replaced the original, normal tuned, layers of guitars, with a single one tuned in C all throughout and it worked. Took about ten minutes to nail. You got to take a step back sometime. The Art Metal album has been in the works for so long, it’s refreshing it found a way out of itself with all the zillion variations of each song we got. Instead of becoming overproduced it took a left turn and shook a lot of unnecessary stuff off that made it come to life. Lots of dirt under its fingernails.

Manirambha – another groovy, almost soundtrack-like song. More Tihais, more tuned down riffs. Great keyboard solo by Jens and sweet, short lead by Jonas. At times very controlled, at times very chaotic. I dig it. I dig it.

Nataraja – this one is a real gem. It sounds like (in my imagination) Chinese camp fire music, whatever that is. Coming from Sweden, celebrating Midsummer like crazy and all that, Nataraja has a true Asian folk music vibe to it, with the vivid use of the major pentatonic scale. Melodic minor acoustic lead by moi that I didn’t think would make it, but Jonas threw it in the very last minute. A track to hum along to.

Solitude – a kick butt kind of song. I love the way Jens has overdubbed my lead parts (listen carefully, panned right). A lovely solo by Hellborg. The guitar riff, played in a Ugly Side of Me kind of way, works real fine with unique Jonas’ slap bass.

The Three Princes of Serendip – my favourite track on the entire album. So happy it made it. There is just something with it that is both musically shit-interesting along with the sweetest of melodies. Anders and Selvaganesh are really glued together here for all the stimulating South Indian fills in between the melody. Jonas bass line over the guitar is delicate to the bone. Pleased with my (super-dry) long solo as well.
The second part of the tune is equally lovely, with Jens and Jonas both doing great solos as well as playing a wonderful, super-glue-like, major melody together. We’ve played The Three Princes of Serendip live a bunch of times but it was on the album it came together for real. I just love it.

Round Metal Hat – a fusion of early Art Metal-album recordings and stuff that was made at the very end. Has both a melancholy vibe to it along with intensive parts. I loooovvve the solos Jonas and Jens deliver. Have to turn it up like crazy every time I hear it. Top notch stuff.

Vyakhyan – kar – the only track without Selvaganesh. Remember when Hellborg showed me the parts for the first time in my living room before going to India to play. I then recorded it to a click track only and everything else was layered upon it. If it wasn’t for that everyone involved have been around for quite some time, this would never work. To add attitude and “moustache” (you get it) to a static click track and guitar alone can be hard if you’re not confident in your playing. This wasn’t a problem here. Great solo by Jonas.

Art Metal – now, here’s something else. Damn, this was a fun one to nail. Art Metal was originally a long Kanjeera solo by the mighty Selvaganesh. Jonas had the beginning and the end figured out but the entire middle part was just blank and the bass maestro told me to play what I heard. So I did and parts of it turned out slightly scary, especially after Jens added spooky voice samples. I put together eight guitars that followed the mood of Selvaganesh’s playing (as I hear it) and then stuff was dubbed upon it. When the guitar orchestration begins all over there is a weird clash between the guitar and keyboard, making it sound out of pitch, which in turn makes it even more nasty and slippery. Using modes like the Pantuvarali helps to create an uneasy atmosphere. The ending of the tunes is insane and shit-hard to play. Anders is playing like crazy and both Jonas and I fight hard to keep it up. Not a tune you sit down and jam. This one you got to hear. Outrageous, ground breaking and awesome, at least to me.
(This comes from the Freak Kitchen blog -> http://www.freakkitchen.com/blog/ )
cbr1000f

There's a medley sample on the myspace now -> http://www.myspace.com/artmetalband

At the end of the track, it gets really crazy! Love it :D
Legbur

ist this the dude who does all those noises all the time?
Big Bad Bill

Well, I ordered my copy after hearing the audio clip on myspace. Sounds just like my cup of tea, after Darjeeling first flush of course! It'll keep me going while I wait for the next Vai release!
CanCan

I must get my hands on this.
Big Bad Bill

I'll post a review when I get it.
progmetalpilgrim

I'm really looking foward to getting that album, great line-up and awesome music!
Big Bad Bill

It's been over three weeks since I ordered my copy, but the ensuing postal strike and a cock up by the seller means I still haven't got it! It's driving me mad! I hope it's worth the wait. :cry: :cry:
Big Bad Bill

I finally got my copy after over a month of waiting! It's an album of complex and at times frantic music as you might expect. The Indian influence is manifest in the rhythm of the music-not just the percussion, but also the of the melody line. It can best be described as being syncopated or even 'jerky', 'stopping and starting' with repeated notes and phrases and takes a little getting used to. But I played the CD a few times every day on my iPOD and that's when the magic started happening and the beautiful melodys began to make themselves known. Once your brain has tuned into the rhythm so it no longer hogs all your processing power, you realise the melodies are really very sweet, whether they're from Mattias Eklundh, Jens Johanssen or Hellborg. Its become a very addictive album over the last few weeks and although a challenge at first, its well worth the effort of buying and listening to it. Recommended for Vai fans.