Your top 5

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Mr. Canadian

5 big faves...

Johann Sebastian Bach
Claude Debussy
Igor Stravinsky
Bela Bartok
Anton Webern
Leanne_777

Mr. Canadian wrote:Johann Sebastian Bach
From Skid Row, right? :D
lydian2000

Mr. Canadian wrote:5 big faves...

Johann Sebastian Bach
Claude Debussy
Igor Stravinsky
Bela Bartok
Anton Webern
my "classical" list could be:
JS Bach
Claude Debussy
Igor Stravinsky
Maurice Ravel
Bela Bartok

But although I have heard many good things about Webern, I haven't heard any of his music...could u recommend something? :D
Guitarmiester

Leanne_777 wrote:From Skid Row, right? :D
That was kinda funny considering I'm listening to Quicksand Jesus right now.
munchocruncho

lydian2000 wrote:
Mr. Canadian wrote:5 big faves...

Johann Sebastian Bach
Claude Debussy
Igor Stravinsky
Bela Bartok
Anton Webern
my "classical" list could be:
JS Bach
Claude Debussy
Igor Stravinsky
Maurice Ravel
Bela Bartok

But although I have heard many good things about Webern, I haven't heard any of his music...could u recommend something? :D
http://www.antonwebern.com/
Click on Music.
Drumolator

I like too many styles/genres of music to narrow it down to five. I like jazz, in all its many variations, rock, prog rock, fusion, Christian praise and worship, instrumental rock, some funk, and some country. So I will stick to instrumental rock. Here are mine in no particular order:

Joe Satriani
Neil Zaza
Gary Hoey
Andy Timmons
Steve Morse

I like these guys for their tunes and their guitar playing. My favorite instrumental rock drummer is Bobby Rock, and my favorite instrumental rock bass player is Dave LaRue. Peace.
nickcat0

The answer to this question will change depending on mood , but at the moment ........

1)Chris Cornell - for his solo , Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog work . Wasn't keen on Audioslave .

2)Kenny Wayne Shepherd - I love the Blues , I love great guitar playing ; the man combines the two .

3)Led Zeppelin - still the benchmark by which all other bands are measured .

4)Steve Vai - I was in awe the first time I heard "Eat 'Em And Smile" . I'm still in awe 20 years later .

5)Andrew Catterall - who , you ask ? My 9 year old son . He currently is learning to play the piano ( Grade 3) , he's soon to start learning the guitar . I could listen to him play all day .
applesteam

steve vai - he's my favourite guitarist, by far.he's in a class all by himself.his music just speaks to me. i love his playing style, his compositional style,the fact that he's so versatile,the fact that he can do things on the guitar that nobody else can... everything about his music really.also, theres something very cool about the fact that he's doing what he was born to do.

Tom waits-his voice is so powerful and commanding and can convey so much emotion, and so many different emotions.he can sing so many different styles. As lyric writing goes he's my favourite songwriter, and he can create beautiful melodies too. his music is so unique, he's just such a unique person in all respects.plus he's one of the coolest people to ever live.

Frank Zappa- his music is just so stimulating, and listening to it always puts me in a good mood.he could write incrediably complex instrumental music but also extremely simple songs,and he covered so many different styles and was so prolific, but the quality of his material never dipped.i love the fact that he wasn't afraid to inject humour into his music. plus he had a helluva lot of integrity. listening to frank zappa always inspires me.

Metallica - as far as heavy metal goes, for me, it doesn't get any better than metallica, particulary their 80's stuff. i love the intelligence in their music, the fact that they weren't afraid to slow their songs down and put in soft, melodic passages and sections. They've created some of the greatest and most memorable riffs ever. plus, i cut my guitar playing teeth learning metallica songs so they'll always have a special place in my heart.

Bob Dylan - like jello, theres always room for dylan. next to tom waits he's my favourite songwriter. not a fan of his recent stuff,but everything from his first album up to and including desire is just brilliant.its phenominal how one man can write so many great songs.
munchocruncho

Frank Zappa - Obvious reasons, Humor in music that can be complex yet also fun.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Amazing voice. I chose him but really its a tie between him an a lot of other middle eastern artists.

The Roots - Kings of live Hip Hop. All of them are talented musicians and no two albums sound even remotely similar.

Parliament-Funkadelic - Great concept albums. Hilarious characters. Great riffs. Danceable. Great guitarists. Obvious Zappa influence as well.

King Crimson - Daring, fun, and changes their sound often.
V-type

1. SRV

2. Jimi Hendrix

3. Steve Vai

4. Joe Satriani

5. EVH
prman

Any artist that plays Music (with the capital M).
NantucketSleighrider

Captain Beefheart - Everythig he is involved in turns to pure gold, just a magic performer.

Tom Waits - Can play ANY style of music brilliantly, from beatboxing to ballads, he is a genius.

Mountain - THE most powerful rockband of all time, totally groundbreaking style and sound, amazing tunes.

John Coltrane - Do I need to say why?

Eric Dolphy - The very essence of freedom in music, fun, exciting and very very good!
zappahead

Buckethead cuz he's the most alien guitar player ever. and his styles cover more area than water.

Frank Zappa the mad scientist of music.

Steve Vai best guitar player ever.

311 high energy, fan oriented, very eclectic styles.

Edgard Varese the best composer ever, less emphasis on notes played, emphasis on how they are played.
rio_perros
Newcomer

I enjoy a wide variety of music and during my recent visit to Europe this summer; I have only picked five, of the concert performances attended.

a) The Thomas Blug Band & Friends
b) Electric Outlet/ Errorhead
c) Taj Mahal Trio
d) Stevie Vai & String Theories
e) Wayra.....

Darn, only limited to five. :cry:
Edit/add: The above list a-e, I've never seen before. Here are a couple more off the cuff: Lou Reed, Tower of Power, Bryan Adams & Rhythm Possee. Cheers
Last edited by rio_perros on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spanishphrygian

Paco de Lucia He did everything. Saved Flamenco, and added to it. Great stuff.

Steve Vai I love the music because it is very emotional. Not because he is so technical though, yet maybe that is why the music is so good, no?

Return to Forever I really like Al's early playing. Fusion is a great style.

Rush I like the prog hard rock style with works that are not simply 3 min radio friendly songs.

LAGQ The Los Angeles Guitar Quartet is just so cool. I like how they can take classical music and create a future sound for it today. I am amazed how rocking, modern, and exciting four classical guitars can be, and these guys are the leaders of it.