Your top 5

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
G3

Maybe this has been discussed before, but just thought Id chance my arm and see.

I was just wondering what are peoples top five musicians/bands and why?
guitarbonham

probably already discussed but ill answer anyway lol

vai- typically im not that into instrumental guitar music along his lines but for whatever reason somehin about his music just does it for me and hes by far my fav. not quite sure what "it" is yet but im trying to figure it out...

led zeppelin- cool guitar work and they sound amazing live. i also like robert plants voice a lot

guns n roses- really kewl guitar stuff. i just get annoyed with axls singing..... lol

pink floyd- really interesting arrangements and some really amazing songs and solos

and the 5th one is really really tricky to pick.... after 4 its like a million bands tied here... but i guess i will pick someone i recently discovered sonny landreth. he is absolutely amazing at slide guitar. and its not like blues slide its more like hard rock slide... think bad horsie crossed with blues lol but its amazing to hear what this one guy can do with no overdubs or other guitars. just bass and drums backing him. and hes a good singer too.
APH
Newcomer

Vai

Satch

Gary Moore

EVH

Caeser Huecsa
ThePhilosopher9292
Newcomer

1.Dimebag Darrell(because he is the reason i got into playing guitar)

2.Steve Vai(becuase he is steve vai what else can you say lol)

3.Frank Zappa(he was the most amazing songwriter)

4.Jason Becker(because he's fucking amazing)

5.Paul Gilbet(beause he fucking rocks)
totallygeek

G3 wrote:...
I was just wondering what are peoples top five musicians/bands and why?
Bands

1. NOFX - Because I can listen to their stuff any time and it never gets old. These are talented musicians that like to have a lot of fun with their songs.

2. Presidents of the United States - Comical lyrics combined with a two and three-stringed bass? Yep, that is a recipe for great music.

3. Black Flag - All that raw guitar work was not random. Greg is a master at inserting fills.

4. Pink Floyd - No reason necessary, but there are so many great songs.

5. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - I love cover tunes.

Musicians

1. Tommy Emmanuel - He must have fourteen fingers!

2. Steve Vai - I can listen to his music all day long.

3. John 5 - Just a great mix of metal and country - very different from other guitar work out there.

4. Danny Elfman - I love movies and the music is a big part of that. Plus, Oingo Boingo rocked!

5. John Williams - Not the guitarist, but the movie composer guy.
jagoda

Not in any particular order...

Whitesnake - because David Coverdale has an amazing voice
U2 - do you really need a reason to like U2?
The Corrs - because I love their irish sound
Steve Vai - no explanation necessary
Belinda Carlisle - well, I just like her music
Azyiu

jagoda wrote:U2 - do you really need a reason to like U2?
Well, you are correct 15 years or so ago.

As for my top five, not in any order:

Dream Theater - Awesome showcase of musicianship
Steve Vai - Inspiring
Queen - Influential to alot of musicians and bands.
Pink Floyd - Ahhh...
Extreme - More than words can describe...
<Mike>

Dream Theater, Angra, Steve Vai cuz they rock.
Seal, the pop dude, cause he rocks. (and I never listen to pop!)
Sarah Brightman, cause she's nice to listen to when I'm tired.
Koji Kondo, the famous nintendo composer, cause he introdocued me to nice music (when I was 7 or so. Zelda ocarina of time! :headbang )
VAI05

Steve Vai - The king of all musicians!!!

Johnny Winter - Love his Blues / Rock guitar playing

Keith Emerson - King of the keyboards

Joe Satriani - I love to listen / watch him play

Gregg Allman - Great voice
Guitarmiester

Joe Satriani - He's my biggest influence, the reason I can play how I do. Once I discovered him it changed everything for me.

Dream Theater/John Petrucci - Amazing band, amazing musicians. These guys have pushed my playing almost as much as Satriani did.

Andy Timmons - Tone, tone, tone. I can listen to his stuff all day and it never gets old.

Paul Gilbert - Another great player that has really pushed my playing to an area I never thought I'd be at. Pablo and Petrucci really inspired me to clean up my playing and start from scratch working on picking and accuracy.

Steve Vai - Around the same time I discovered Satch, I was looking through my dads CD collection and found 'The 7th Song' album. Was blown away. And, well... I'm here now.

There are plenty of other guys that have added to my playing, but those are my biggest influences.
G3

thanks for posting back everyone! Just thought it would be interesting to see all of the stuff people are in to. Its pretty cool that a good demographic are into the mellower stuff, and music that might not nessessarily rely on techinique (Although i appreciate that too!)

I suppose Ill put up my own so..

1 Steve Vai- I (along with most of you Im sure) just think the man is both an artist and a genius. His is the standard I hope to achieve guitar-wise. Not only can he rip, but write one hell of a song! What I most appreciate, from a playing perspective is his use of technique to colour his music, and his unique phrasing. He plays virtuosic music which is steeped in soul which cannot be said about the majority of extreme guitar players (Notice I avoided the "S" word!) And thats why he claims the number one spot.

The next three are variable, so the order doesnt matter.

2 Led Zeppelin- Responsible for rock as we know it. They were the genesis. Page was both an inspirational guitar player, and song writer. Plants vocals were, are and will be imitated for a long time to come, but never beaten for intense delivery. Every single member of that band was integral. They took many genres of music to the masses.

3 Children of Bodom- The only metal band i listen to. So intense and powerful and so melodic. i am not afraid to say that they have in my humble opinion, released some of the best metal of the last ten years. Alexi is an unreal player, whose not afraid to be a bit sloppy live, which just adds to the musics character.

4 The Stone Roses- I think (Again opinion only) they the best pop band of the last 20 years, and certainly the best guitar centred one! John Squires genius was subtlety. Listen to any of their songs and youll know. Squire just had a way of building line upon line. The band ooze cool, and Ian Brown is an icon. Mani and Reni are a fantastic rhythm section. Seriously uplifting band... Put the 'E' in Manchester!

Thats it anyway... I dont really have a fifth..
Breeder

Not in specified order...

Vai,Tool,Zappa,Al Di Meola,Dream Theater,John Cage,Beethoven,Messugah,Muse,Paul Gilberto,Rage against the Machine.Mozart,Mars Volta,Joe Zawinul,Weather Report,Stefanofski...lol I guess there is much more but I think this is enough

oh yea-and the best band ofc...MANOWAR! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Don`t worry-just joking :P :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Leanne_777

Vai - I don't think I need to put a reason :D

Dream Theater - Simply the best band ever. I can't articulate how much I love Dream Theater

Rush - Okay, Maybe Rush are the best band ever. I'm confused now. I've never heard anything like Rush (except Dream Theater)

Billy Sheehan - Not only the best rock bass player to ever walk the earth but a fantastic songwriter, I love his solo stuff.

Metallica/Slayer - I'm not picking one. Metallica will always be my first metal love and it's probably closest to my heart. And Slayer are juts brutal.
jagoda

Azyiu wrote:
jagoda wrote:U2 - do you really need a reason to like U2?
Well, you are correct 15 years or so ago.

As for my top five, not in any order:

Dream Theater - Awesome showcase of musicianship
Steve Vai - Inspiring
Queen - Influential to alot of musicians and bands.
Pink Floyd - Ahhh...
Extreme - More than words can describe...
I simply have to say something here. U2 is still an amazing band. After almost 30 years of rocking they still manage to be unique and make great albums. It's a shame you feel do way you do.
Seraphim

This is very dificult... top 5... depends of the day, if I prefer classic, easy listening, or heavy... also there's some doubts Dream Theater or Rush? :wink:
Let's see:
Zappa - Vai - Shadow Gallery - Ayreon - Dream Theater (before they are rock stars) :mrgreen: - Hawkwind - Metallica - Manowar :headbang - Joe - Chastain - Marty Friedman - Jason - etc etc etc

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen: