Prince's New Album-Free?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Big Bad Bill

Prince's New Album-Free?

#1 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:09 am

I'm listening to Prince's new album after getting it for free in a UK 'tittle-tattle' tabloid! Why on earth is Prince giving it away free in the UK and with a trashy newspaper? He must be losing money. How can this be a good marketing ploy? I guess he's extremely wealthy and doesn't need the money, but even so.........

Anyone have any opinions on this strategy as I'm bemused?

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

HMMM!?

#2 Post by CymbalSplittingSkinbasher » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:32 am

Maybe, just maybe:

1. He's a nice guy with enough money. He cares about people, esp. his fans.

2. It's a publicity stunt of some sort.

3. Maybe he recently watched Zeitgeist: The Movie, & then had a change of heart. :?

Seriously though, I guess a bunch of music distributors are really pissed off about this & from what I gather, Sony BMG (UK) has withdrawn from distributing the cd in UK stores! :shock:

Oh, I'd go with #1 above. :)

notavirtuoso

#3 Post by notavirtuoso » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:55 am

It's my understanding, and I could be very much misinformed, that Prince HATES the recording industry. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning, but this may be his way of saying, "Fuck You!" to the record companies.

fyrie

#4 Post by fyrie » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:20 am

Isn't he playing 20 nights in the UK soon? Maybe this is just a way to get people to buy tickets.

For what it's worth, although Musicology was available in stores, if you bought a ticket to his concert, you got a free copy of the cd at the door.

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

PRINCE

#5 Post by CymbalSplittingSkinbasher » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:25 am

I think he's doing the free cd w/the purchase of a concert ticket to one of the O2 shows as well. :)

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#6 Post by Mikey » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:39 am

What Prince is doing is a brilliant move - and it breaks down like this:

The newspaper paid Prince a million dollars to distribute over 2 million copies of the album "free" with their newspaper.

In order for Prince to actually make the same amount of money on the album in stores, he would need to sell over 5 million copies.

The album serves as great promotion for the upcoming concert series - which also has the album built into the cost of the ticket - so you get the CD when you come to the show.

The music industry is getting tired, and it's people like Prince who change the playing field. And why should he play their game? He is in the fortunate position of having legendary status, and no ties to any label. He's a free agent, and why shouldn't he distribute his product as he sees fit?

Whatever yo think about Prince's music or his image, he remains one of the most vital artists in music today, and with an almost 30 year career, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Mikey
vai.com

EyE

#7 Post by EyE » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:35 am

I can't waite to hear Planet Earth. I wish I could go to one of the shows he will be giving in London this year! :(

theollieb

#8 Post by theollieb » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:47 am

Prince is a really great guitarist... His music brings me back to the 80s...When I wasn't born yet lol

Big Bad Bill

#9 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:53 am

Mikey wrote:The newspaper paid Prince a million dollars to distribute over 2 million copies of the album "free" with their newspaper.
It's making the national news over here but the BBC suggested it was more like a paltry £250,000 that was paid to Prince by the tabloid! I suppose with projected ticket sales as a consequence of this free give away etc he'll net a lot more for his music. I would never buy a Prince album, but I was out of bed early on a Sunday to get the newspaper from the local newsagents so it must be working. There was another hinted suggestion that Prince's last album didn't do very well over here in the UK and this may be a way of boosting his profile again.

Anyway, there's a great song on the album that celebrates his love of the guitar and probably mirrors most our our sentiments too:

Owwww
Like I love my guitar

[Verse]
Get Dirty At the club were in
Use it around your waist like a chain within
I got that call so I jumped in my car
I love you baby
but not like I Love my Guitar

[chorus]
No
Not like I love my Guitar

[Verse]
you couldn't do it all by yourself
You had to go and get someboduy else
Your High enough to call me
but you cant reach the phone
I love you baby
But not like I love my guitar

[chorus]
No
Turn it up

[Verse]
I tried to warn you
that its hard to be a star
Especially when your driving other peoples car
Would of gave you mine girl
But you took it to far
I Love you baby
Just not like I love my guitar

[chorus]
No

[Verse]
I know you love me
And you want to be Friends
And if you dont at least you need to pretend
We'll still be together
If we dont get that far
I love you baby but not like I love this guitar

I love you baby and I wish you well
I'll write a letter when I learn how to spell
Until the day you can go to hell
I love you baby you know the rest

The album is worth it just so can sing this to my significant other and watch her get mad!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

b2

#10 Post by b2 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:15 pm

Well... I have not read all about this but:

I would never buy a newspaper to get a cd from a artist
Why should I support the tabloid newspaper, they only produce garbage.

The best would be if one could buy more or less directly from the artist by using
the Internet.

lydian7

#11 Post by lydian7 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:53 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote: I'm listening to Prince's new album after getting it for free in a UK 'tittle-tattle' tabloid! Why on earth is Prince giving it away free in the UK and with a trashy newspaper? He must be losing money. How can this be a good marketing ploy? I guess he's extremely wealthy and doesn't need the money, but even so.........

Anyone have any opinions on this strategy as I'm bemused?
I think the artist has every right to do whatever they like with the music that they create, even at the dismay of money-grabbing businessmen. I think most of an artist like Prince's revenue comes from his live shows, and I believe he makes more than enough money from them to live rather comfortably for the rest of his days. I have alot of respect for Prince's principles, and what he is doing from within the music industry to bring it kicking an screaming into the 21st century.
b2 wrote:Well... I have not read all about this but:

I would never buy a newspaper to get a cd from a artist
Why should I support the tabloid newspaper, they only produce garbage.

The best would be if one could buy more or less directly from the artist by using
the Internet.

The Mail on Sunday is actually one of the more intellectual newspapers with a great arts and music section. I didn't mind paying £1.40p for it (and of course the free Prince album was a bonus!). ;)

The album is great btw, and very progressive in places. I'm sure I heard a few Vai licks creeping in their, especially all the floyd rose whammy abuse w/wah pedal! Prince's guitar technique is actual quite consumate and virtuosic in places. I was pleasantly surprised!

notavirtuoso

#12 Post by notavirtuoso » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:02 pm

lydian7 wrote: The album is great btw, and very progressive in places. I'm sure I heard a few Vai licks creeping in their, especially all the floyd rose whammy abuse w/wah pedal! Prince's guitar technique is actual quite consumate and virtuosic in places. I was pleasantly surprised!
Prince is and has been one hell of a guitarist throughout his career. I forget how many different instruments he is actually capable of playing but it's somewhere in the high teens or twenties, guitar being his best in my opinion. The man just sweats music out his pores. I think I'll try to pick this album up somewhere. Who says the U.S. gets all the cool promos lol. :)

brentm

#13 Post by brentm » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:05 pm

This album is red hot!!!!! I'm so glad I saw him in Vegas. I think he previewed a couple of these songs for us there....

mayuka

#14 Post by mayuka » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:27 pm

thats awsome! Prince is such a genius

another virtuoso

#15 Post by another virtuoso » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:01 pm

he's been pulling rabbits out of his hat with stunts like these since the 80s. it amazes me. he is without a doubt one hell of a business man and a true creative mind.