Favorite Composer

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
-SkiZ-

Daniel Gildenlöw!!!

and in videogames, Grant Kirkhope 8)
Samuele

My all-time favorite composer is Steve. Off the new album I would say Frangelica is my favorite composition, maybe because to me it sounds like the richest, "lushiest" orchestral piece (actually, 2 pieces) I've ever heard.

Then of course I really dig Frank Zappa, but I think it's impossible to recommend just one of his works. Explore yourself.

Among older composers I absolutely like the following:

Ravel - Daphis and Chloe, Introduction and Allegro

Debussy - Claire de Lune, to pick up one

Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring, again just to pick one

Barber - Adagio for Strings (that's a killer one)

I also enjoy some of the compositions by Gerschwin, Mahler, Holst (The Planets) and there are others but I think you got the picture of what I enjoy in orchestral music.
lydian2000

Samuele wrote:My all-time favorite composer is Steve. Off the new album I would say Frangelica is my favorite composition, maybe because to me it sounds like the richest, "lushiest" orchestral piece (actually, 2 pieces) I've ever heard.

Then of course I really dig Frank Zappa, but I think it's impossible to recommend just one of his works. Explore yourself.

Among older composers I absolutely like the following:

Ravel - Daphis and Chloe, Introduction and Allegro

Debussy - Claire de Lune, to pick up one

Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring, again just to pick one

Barber - Adagio for Strings (that's a killer one)

I also enjoy some of the compositions by Gerschwin, Mahler, Holst (The Planets) and there are others but I think you got the picture of what I enjoy in orchestral music.
:shock: scary stuff...I could have written the exact same post, it seems we have very similar taste in music...cool. :D
Paolovai
Newcomer

One of the most famous composer in soundtrack movies and not only is Ennio Morricone. I definetely like his music. Then i like the old classical authors like Mozart, Beethoven of course. In rock music i like Steve obviously :)
VaiEvo

Aaron Copeland, hands down: Appalaichian Spring Suite, and (moreso) Fanfare for the Common Man, that's my favorite classical piece of all time.

I also love Mahler- amazing low brass.
munchocruncho

In Order

Frank Zappa
Edgar Varese
Bela Bartok
Stravinsky
Steve Vai
Masi

Classical: Richard Strauss (not the waltz guy)
Soundtrack: Angelo Badalamenti
Rock: Steve Vai
Jazz: Charles Mingus
World music: Ali Farka Toure
Electro: Bill Laswell
Solo guitar: Michael Hedges
Experimental: John Zorn
Mr. Canadian

Some faves...

J.S. Bach - Mass in B min, Brandenburg Concertos, English Suites, Keyboard Partitas, 18 Leipzig Organ Chorales
Wagner - Overtures & Preludes
Brahms - Symphonies, Piano Ballades, Piano Quintet, Piano Trios & Quartets
Grieg - Lyric Pieces
Strauss - Last 4 Songs
Faure - Requiem
Debussy - Prelude to an Afternoon of a Faun, Sonata for Harp, Flute & Viola
Ravel - String Quartet, Gaspard de la Nuit
Stravinsky - Rite of Spring, Petrushka, Symphony of Psalms, Symphonies of Wind Instruments, Mass, Agon, Threni, Canticum Sacrum, Requiem Canticles
Bartok - String Quartets, Concerto for Orchestra, Music for Percussion, Strings & Celesta
Schoenberg - 5 Orchestral Pieces, Chamber Symphony No. 1
Webern - Symphony Op. 21
Boulez - Piano Sonatas
Ligeti - String Quartets, Piano Etudes, Melodien