Hardest Vai lick to Nail ?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
joshua202020

another virtuoso wrote:i actually dont find any of steve's licks to be very challenging at all..

NOT!
Haha nice one..
boswell

another virtuoso wrote: so how do you know when you have "learned" guitar enough to start using the whammy bar?
err it's a joke.......you know something said to amuse people :roll:
sunai

u just start
i started to just think abt usin the bar when i first saw the vid of bad horsie
tht time i din evn have an electric but i started c in on the net on how to use the bar
boswell

this one:

my tongue is too long to get the precise tone
<Mike>

haah nice one :D
sunai

boswell wrote:this one:

my tongue is too long to get the precise tone
nope the album vid
boswell

sunai0804 wrote:nope the album vid
:roll:
Luminescence

I would have to say the intro to building the church
mange

Big Bad Bill wrote:I find Steve's whammy bar technique difficult to emulate. Getting the intonation spot on is hard and yet Steve seems to do it effortlessly!

Actually I've noticed I'm using my 'bar' less and less these days. I think I need to study Steve's style to gain some inspiration and start using it again.
Me too. I'm thinking about getting a Ibanez RGA121. A damn fine guitar with lots of nice pickup configurations and hard tail.
sunai

Luminescence wrote:I would have to say the intro to building the church
the intro and solo is pretty simple to get once u master the pattern
i had to break it down into 3 parts to kinda get it right and it took me a week to perfect it
another virtuoso

boswell wrote:err it's a joke.......you know something said to amuse people :roll:
oh, that one must have been over my head!

And that building The Church intro really isnt to difficult once you get the pattern down like sunai said. just slow the tempo waaaaaay down and you'll get it. its like a tongue twister at first.
sunai

^^^^^^^^^
u could say finger twister man
:D :D
VaiEvo

It's all just getting the patterns under your fingers, once you got that then the tapping's easy. It's three beats of triplet-right hand/sixteenth note-left hand, then one beat of straight sixteenth notes. After that, it's a breeze. Just take it slowly and slowly bring it up to speed (METRONOME).

The third "verse" or section of the song is MUCH harder to do, but that can be done. A helpful tool (I find at least) is using Quicktime; take any mp3 and slow it down to half-speed, everything is right there in front of you, note-by-note.

The HARDEST Vai lick I've ever seen is the solo he did in Japan '97 (Fire Garden-esque solo). After that, then I'd say Building the Church and Juice are two of his hardest songs (maybe not THE hardest, but incredibly difficult- Building the Church for it's virtuosity and Juice for it's speed).
joshua202020

VaiEvo wrote:
It's all just getting the patterns under your fingers, once you got that then the tapping's easy. It's three beats of triplet-right hand/sixteenth note-left hand, then one beat of straight sixteenth notes. After that, it's a breeze. Just take it slowly and slowly bring it up to speed (METRONOME).

The third "verse" or section of the song is MUCH harder to do, but that can be done. A helpful tool (I find at least) is using Quicktime; take any mp3 and slow it down to half-speed, everything is right there in front of you, note-by-note.

The HARDEST Vai lick I've ever seen is the solo he did in Japan '97 (Fire Garden-esque solo). After that, then I'd say Building the Church and Juice are two of his hardest songs (maybe not THE hardest, but incredibly difficult- Building the Church for it's virtuosity and Juice for it's speed).
I've seen Gustavo Guerra in youtube nails Juice almost perfectly..
<Mike>

sorry to say but gustavo guerra plays the tappings all wrong and also some other things.

I do not doubt he Could play em 100 & correct but he doesn't (prolly he was too lazy to figure it all out perfectly)