Hardest Vai lick to Nail ?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
tweezersguitar!

There must be hundreds of contenders (eugenes trick bag for one) but for me the lick in the 'Head cuttin duel' (at the end of the blues trade off between jack butler and 'the kid' lol) is insane!

Its just a super fast alternate picking thing ,but its mind boggling how he plays it !
BorgAngel

I think the solo that goes in For The Love Of God. The speed picking really fast thing... :)
Big Bad Bill

I find Steve's whammy bar technique difficult to emulate. Getting the intonation spot on is hard and yet Steve seems to do it effortlessly!

Actually I've noticed I'm using my 'bar' less and less these days. I think I need to study Steve's style to gain some inspiration and start using it again.
sunai

it has to be the tapping monster from bad horsie
Big Bad Bill

Yeah! Actually most of Steve's tapping is harder than most. I wish some magazine would do and indepth analysis of Steve's tapping and publish it!
slash89

BorgAngel wrote:I think the solo that goes in For The Love Of God. The speed picking really fast thing... :)
It really isn't all that hard. It follows a very logical pattern.

I think it is the combination of complex rythms, odd timing, blazin' speed and crazy fingerings that makes many Vai songs hard for people to play. Almost all licks in Freak Show Excess are good examples of this.
Zeds.Ded

yeh the Freakshow licks are very difficult especially because of there eastern style which is different from what we would usually play
RhythMan

Personally, trying to double the lick before the break in Burning Rain on bass is quite difficult. That along with trying to learn Billy's part in Freak Show are two of the more challenging low end peices, IMO.
another virtuoso

i actually dont find any of steve's licks to be very challenging at all..

NOT!
<Mike>

jagshimash... eh.. :P

well I dunno anyway what vai lick is hardest, I haven't played them all yet!
guyver_dio

Big Bad Bill wrote:I find Steve's whammy bar technique difficult to emulate. Getting the intonation spot on is hard and yet Steve seems to do it effortlessly!

Actually I've noticed I'm using my 'bar' less and less these days. I think I need to study Steve's style to gain some inspiration and start using it again.
I know what you mean. I've been trying for ages to get the whammy section of lotus feet right and nothing I do gets it even close to how steve sounds. The notes and the modulation with the whammy sounds correct but his sounds like a sweet violin and everything is crazy smooth following into the next note at the right moment where mine sounds to mechanical and the up and down motion of the whammy can clearly be recognized and no matter how I think about it and how I use the whammy it doesn't even touch vai's recording.

It's mostly a mental state I think, you've gotta think about the space and how you're gonna fit this amount of notes in this space, when you are gonna cut this note off and go to the next, how much time you wanna let each note ring out and the time in between notes you have to play with the whammy. It's all about expression and to express it like vai you gotta think what vai is actually trying to express in every section. So I go about it like trying to get in vai's frame of mind and if I need to calm down and be gentle with the whammy, I get myself in a calm state and think about what the passage reminds me of, get an image in my head and try and replicate the image through my playing. It in my opinion it does alter the way you attack the guitar and you're placement of notes and the way you characterize them. Getting the pitch right with the whammy is easy if you've got a good ear but there's more to it then that.

It is IMO the hardest thing to replicate because you have to replicate the exact way he sings with the whammy, you can always cover up flaws in fast runs.
Stephen Brown

lotus feet was a really clever idea in the end section to flat out the strings & use the fret bumps as note choices. I'm scared I'll break my only axe but it has to be done. :D Last note I think when the bar comes up, 14 fret D string.
It's like the perfect ending :!:
boswell

Big Bad Bill wrote:
that'll be my influence, since I said it's better to learn to play before using the whammy :wink:
maximus

RhythMan wrote:Personally, trying to double the lick before the break in Burning Rain on bass is quite difficult. That along with trying to learn Billy's part in Freak Show are two of the more challenging low end peices, IMO.
Totally correct. Shyboy is a b*tch for the bass as well.
another virtuoso

boswell wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:
that'll be my influence, since I said it's better to learn to play before using the whammy :wink:
so how do you know when you have "learned" guitar enough to start using the whammy bar?