Strapping Young Lad are no more

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Axemadman

Just seen this on blabbermouth

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... emID=72298

Strapping Young Lad are no more. Seems Devin wants to concentrate on his solo stuff.
Prezidentman

What's even more depressing is that he won't be touring anymore..DAMN IT!!!!! :evil: Oh well, as long as he keeps making music..
Lotus Eater

He's got good reason. Power to him.
But sad I'll never see DTB live.
SPQR

who are they :?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

fortheloveofgod wrote:who are they :?
Have you just come out of a coma?

Mikey ;)
vai.com
Animal 06

thats no good. no good at all :(
oh well. best of luck to each of em!
SYL RIP!
jem_legacy

Did he stop taking his meds? That or he's planning to suprise his fans. Can never tell what Devy is going to do next :?:
litlgrnman

Bummer. Guess I'll have to cross him off the must see list. Oh well, as long as he his happy and still making music.
fyrie

I never was able to catch him live, but I am very happy to hear that he will continue to make music as he's become one of my favorites.
treeduck

This is how he feels now, but he might change his mind later...

:)
John

From the Dev:

Journalism is a crazy thing. (and one of the main contributing factors to my current state of burn out)

Heres the deal:

When and if I feel like it, I'll let you know. I'm officially burnt out on travelling, touring, and self promotion. I want to produce and make records for an undetermined length of time. Please respect that.

I love syl and dtb, and the members of those bands mean a great deal to me, but I have to do it for the love, when it becomes a burden, it's time to step away for awhile. After Ziltoid, there will be no real interviews for as long as it takes for me to build up strength again.

I'm sure at some point I'll get the itch to play, but in the meantime, please respect that I've burnt myself out and need to get away from it all. I'm no good to anyone as a tired shell going through the motions for money.

Enjoy the music...enjoy the productions...there will be a ton of them.

btw - Ziltoid is a self parody, and I don't intend on milking it into a commercial light ... mainstream acceptance makes me nauseous...

Thanks,
Devin
Zebula77

Sad to hear that. I've become a big Devin Townsend fan (well, the DTB stuff, the SYL stuff is too extreme for me) over the past year and it's a shame he's burnt out.

I'll buy any solo album he produces, tho. No doubt. He's a frickin genius.
seljer

I believe he's issued already similar statements in the past, distancing himself from the spotlight
but he's too talented to completely run away
my Image goes out to him as long as he keeps making music, even if he's not touring
fiddlemord

Damn. There goes one excellent band. At least Devin's not in it for the money, that's for sure.
lydian2000

"Tall Latte" :wink: