Session Guitarist.

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
leigh01

RM wrote:
leigh01 wrote:Thanks for the advice RM, I haven't seen you on the forum very often?
I'm interested in the agency thing, But I think im gonna have to wait a year or two (after I passed college with A-levels) to go on my way to London, :roll:
But would it be benificial to try and build a name for myself where I live now?

Cheers. :)
Where in East Anglia are you from? If it's one of the cities it could be worth going for it...

How old are you by the way?
Recently 18,

Erm I don't really want to give out my close town, But where would you recommened will be worth trying around. :)

Thanx
<Mike>

BTW, I just gotta say something. Session guitarist, is that the same as a studio musician or are those things totally diffrent?

Anyway you should all know what a studio musician is, a guy who goes around and records music for diffrent artists like pop artists.
I kinda thought that dudes that were studio musicians kicked ass and rly knew how to sweep anyones ass off.

but... I just happened to speak to a famous swedish pop music producer yesterday about a amp that I'm buying. He was gonna help me buy it. Anyway he didn't know who steve vai was and he had never heard of either ENGL or Carvin legacy amps.
That's not the the weird thing, thing is he said he called around to several studio musicians he knew (guitarists) and said he asked them if they knew anything about a steve vai or a joe satriani or ENGL amps, none of them had heard of any of it before!

Maybe I'm just being silly, but how the F*** can you be a guitarist and studio musician and never had heard of steve vai or satch?

:? x 10
RM

leigh01 wrote:
RM wrote:
leigh01 wrote:Thanks for the advice RM, I haven't seen you on the forum very often?
I'm interested in the agency thing, But I think im gonna have to wait a year or two (after I passed college with A-levels) to go on my way to London, :roll:
But would it be benificial to try and build a name for myself where I live now?

Cheers. :)
Where in East Anglia are you from? If it's one of the cities it could be worth going for it...

How old are you by the way?
Recently 18,

Erm I don't really want to give out my close town, But where would you recommened will be worth trying around. :)

Thanx
There are a few Studios in Norwich and Ipswich, and even Lowestoft and Yarmouth worth trying - do the research!

They will mostly have bands in, but I know for a fact that they occasionally have solo artists and producers and need session guys. Occasional, yes, but if yours is the first name they think of! hardly big name artists, but you need experience in being in studios and responding to what the Producer / Engineer / Artist asks for
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

there was a great article in guitar world I think...i think it was titled "Hired Guns". Anyways it went into great deal on some of the great session guitarists of the 80's. I'll try to get back to you on that one. But you basically have to be extremely flexible in deliviring what is asked of you.
leigh01

Excellent stuff, thanks again RM Ipswich and Norwich I could probably go round, so thanks man that is a big help. :D
(it's great to know it's worth putting effort in around me.)

vaiisagoodguitarplayer, I shall look forward to hearing more, :)

<Mike> Well a session musician can be working in a studio to fill in for a band member, or can be there hired by a band who wants a certain instrument in their piece, and so on,
A session musician is someone that can fill in for a memeber of a band, can learn stuff quickly, site read fast and do an equal job to who they need to fill in for, etc, :)

Those studio musicians he spoke to may have just been Band guitarists who he knows or fellow producers, which it sounds like he is, but I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by studio musician?
:)
<Mike>

haha sorry leigh, studio musician is directly translated form the swedish word for it hah :) Studio musicians are dudes that gets hired by other bands like pop bands to record instruments for them. Maybe studio musicians are session musician :P Sorry if that's so, and it prolly is.

Why I was so surprised when they didn't know of Vai though is cause the teachers at my school has always said that if you wanna become a seission musician you have to be a superb musician. And I think that if yur a superb guitarist you should gave encountered the name Vai or Satch at least Some time. :P
leigh01

lol
yo <Mike>
By superb musician, the teacher most probably means musicianship qualities such as,
perfect time keeping in any timing like 3/4 or 6/8,
also good scale knowledge so if your asked to improvise, you can effortlessly,
also great chord knowledge,
by a great musician you don't need to be able to four finger tap or sweep pick, (although it can come in handy) you just need to be able to play any style as mentioned somewhere in this thread, it is odd that they haven't heard of Satch or Vai, but they are pop after all. lol :lol: :peace
<Mike>

yeah I know Leigh :) I never said that a superb musician means being able to play 8 finger tapping etc, all I mean is that when people become great at improvising, knows many scales perfectly, can play with great feeling etc then that means you are a serious musician. And serious musicians stumble across many diffrent styles and artists on their way to becoming good at their instruments and Vai and Satch are names that are easy to stumle across if you know what I mean :)

that's what I meant :headbang

well anyway I wish you the best luck Leigh, I'm sure that you will become a great session guitarist. Just be sure to be everywhere at the same time and be available.

Cheers \w/
leigh01

Thanks for your support <Mike> :)

I see what you mean't now, it is kinda wierd for a session guitarist to not have heard of Vai or Satch but hey that's life,

Have fun, Leigh :)