Who is the most influential musician for you?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Michella
Newcomer

Who is the most influential musician for you?

#1 Post by Michella » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:44 am

Alright, i know that everyone gets inspired by someone. What i would like to know is who inpires you to make your music. After you tell us who, then say why and if you have a story of how then go ahead and tell us. :D

For me it would have to be Jethro Tull, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Incubus and a few other people.

The reason why is because Jethro Tull was what i practicaly grew up on and i absolutly loved the flute in it. So, i started playing flute and have never looked back.

As for the RHCP, I love the lyrics and the texture of the main singers vocals in the song. Not to mention the wonderful base. :D I kinda sound like him when i sing ( like the infliction in the voice ) cuz i have listined to him so much.

And lastly, Incubus was like my favorite band when i was 12 (ahhhh preteen years...lol) and i havent stoped listining to them since. The lyrics are wonderful as well as the vocals and the music itself is unigue! I mean, who else has heard of a band who sounds alot like Incubus.....Anyone? lol

I get inspired by alot of diffrent things everyday but those are just a few. OKAY GUY!!!! POST AWAY!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Melodic Dreamer

#2 Post by Melodic Dreamer » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:24 am

I have many people I would like to take something from, but to be honest with myself, the people who I hear in my playing in order would be

Brett Garsed
Greg Howe
Eric Johnson
Joe Satriani
Richie Kotzen
Mike Einziger
Michael Landau

I grew up playing Satriani and his style is just there to stay I guess. I have really worked on the hybrid picking and chromatic passing tones used by Brett. He is a huge inspiration to me. The more rocking side of me has an Incubus feel. I have taken Greg's since of time and flair with the bebop/shred phrasing and unique tapping licks, plus the sliding vibrato technique. I hear a lot of Kotzen in my rhythm playing as well as some of his arpeggiated ideas. Eric has influenced me a great deal as well. I have taken many concepts from him and twisted them in my own playing. I have been really trying to get whatever I can from Landau. His since of feel from plucking with fingers and overall take on effects use and tone.

Zeds.Ded

#3 Post by Zeds.Ded » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:44 am

6) Joe bonamassa

5) Robin Trower

4) Jimi

3) Eric Johnson

2) Yngwie Malmsteen

and 1)

LITTLE STEVEY VAI

:P

Michella
Newcomer

#4 Post by Michella » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:23 am

ooooo...all good artists so far. you guys have good taste! :D

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

BIG B

#5 Post by CymbalSplittingSkinbasher » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:00 am

Right now, Buckethead, simply because he's Buckethead. :guitar :mrgreen:

williebee

#6 Post by williebee » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:51 am

I've been influenced by so many over the years but I think Frank Zappa mostly because of the way he combined so many styles in his composing and wasn't afraid to go any where his creativity took him. Stayed very true to himself and what he wanted to do. Never conformed to what was "in" at the time.

Michella
Newcomer

#7 Post by Michella » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:25 pm

im like frank zappa with flute. i dont write down anything note wise. (transcribe please) lol. Zappa is the man, ill give him that. :D

joshua202020

#8 Post by joshua202020 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:13 am

1 - Satriani Master
2 - Vai
3 - Petrucci
4 - Eric Johnson
5 - Paul Gilbert
6 - Yngwie Malmsteen
7 - Dream Theater
8 - Led Zeppelin
9 - Zappa
10 - Hendrix

Never knew music without these guys..
They're heroes

Tao-RG

#9 Post by Tao-RG » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:38 am

1 - Satriani Master
2 - Vai
3 - Petrucci
4 - Eric Johnson
5 - Paul Gilbert
6 - Yngwie Malmsteen
7 - Dream Theater
8 - Led Zeppelin

9 - Zappa
10 - Hendrix

Never knew music without these guys..
They're heroes
i agree ^^ ; these guys simply define good music ;
one more i would add is jeff martin , because his play is strange and uncommercialy beautifull at once

guyver_dio

#10 Post by guyver_dio » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:20 am

John Petrucci (my god)
Zakk Wylde
Vai and Satch
Malmsteen

vaibajez

#11 Post by vaibajez » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:41 am

vai, nuno and prince!

Tao-RG

#12 Post by Tao-RG » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:13 am

django reinhardt :lol:
joscho stephan ; akkutik player though ; but good anyway ; nothing polular

TongueNGroove

#13 Post by TongueNGroove » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:26 pm

EVH
Nuno Bettencourt
Vitto Bratta (White Lion)

another virtuoso

#14 Post by another virtuoso » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:53 pm

Zeds.Ded wrote:1)

LITTLE STEVEY VAI

:P
same here, no contest.

runners up woud have to be paul gilbert, satch, petrucci (who just happen to ALL BE TOGETHER for the current G3 tour which i get to see THIS TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

nickcat0

#15 Post by nickcat0 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:50 am

When I was a kid , I listened to pop music courtesy of an older friend , she was sort of like an elder sister . Mud , Slade , Sweet , Abba etc , all that Glam Rock stuff from the early 70's .

Then one day , I went round to a friends house to play pool and generally hang out and he put Led Zeppelin IV on the record player . My life would never be the same again .

So I think Led Zep and Jimmy Page would be my biggest influence in that without them , I might still be listening to pop music :oops:

However , in terms of who I listen to now and who inspires me to be a Rock God : EVH ; Vai ; Gilbert ; Hendrix ; and all the other usual suspects .