Headbangers are more Intelligent!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Leanne_777

#76 Post by Leanne_777 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:13 am

seljer wrote:
Mikey wrote:
seljer wrote:metal also attracts a bunch of pretentious cocky racist assholes
or just a bunch of drunken idiots
it actually makes me want to loose the hair at times :?
This can be said of any genre of music. You could say the same of country, or punk or hardcore, or even pop and rap music.

But let's not get into generalizations.

Mikey
vai.com
yea, I'm aware of that, it just seems like thats what all the local groups of metalheads here are into :?
but its silly to choose friends only based on what music they listen to
I don't think it's silly to make friends with people who you share interests with, interests that people (not looking at anyone in particular) clearly don't understand and are often scared of.

seljer

#77 Post by seljer » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:29 am

I wrote "Its silly to choose friends only based on...."

Shared interests are good a starting point for becoming friends with someone, but that doesn't mean you can't become friends with somebody who is into completely different things

Leanne_777

#78 Post by Leanne_777 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:11 am

And it's clearly only metal heads that do that.

seljer

#79 Post by seljer » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:18 am

err, I don't understand what you're trying to say

Leanne_777

#80 Post by Leanne_777 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:51 am

Likewise

seljer

#81 Post by seljer » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:55 am

I have come to love this thread

Leanne_777

#82 Post by Leanne_777 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:15 pm

Likewise

burnt out

Re: LIKE MINDS

#83 Post by burnt out » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:32 pm

Mikey wrote:
burnt out wrote:Metal is gay.

It's just a bunch of ignorant fools who don't know how to rock.

That's all it's ever been.
burnt out wrote:None of it does anything for me.Therefore I would never even bother wasting my time investigating it because I already know what it's about and that I don't like that and therefore I know that I won't like that.
Then kindly take leave of this thread. Your contributions have not enhanced the discussion in any way. You don't like metal. Good for you. We get it. So stop wasting your time here.

There are certain types of music that I don't like either - so I don't listen to it, or waste my time in stupid pissing matches like you are.

An open mind goes a long way though. I've discovered great music I probably wouldn't have sought out unless someone had highly recommended it to me.

You on the other hand, have painted metal (and in this case a certain genre of metal) with a broad brush - having heard little of it, and declaring your disdain for it often based purely on an band's name - which just highlights the glaring deficit in your intellect.

Mikey
vai.com
Oh come on mate.It's fine if that's what you think I am doing then I'll leave the thread,but I thought you were smarter than that as far as thinking that my only reason for not liking it was because of the band's name.Go back and reread it dude.I said that I knew what it was by the types of band names and therefore because I knew WHAT IT WAS then I knew I wouldn't like it.I'm not trying to have a pissing contest I'm trying to challenge people to be smarter as it seems alot of people think that metal is the be all end all of music and so maybe I was trying to piss on metal a little to show that it isn't everything.People who think metal is everything have alot to learn.It's just that they come off as music snobs and frankly I feel that alot of metal leaves alot to be desired.

I'll shutup about metal now though since metal nuts get so butt hurt by my low opinion of it.If I was just trying to piss people off just to be a d!ck then I would be alot ruder and alot more troll-like than that.I was simply stating my honest musical opinions and not trying to be a troll.I'm not a troll I just see things a bit differently.But I'll stfu about metal now since people are obviously misunderstanding me.I thought people here could take it and deal with it since everybody seems fairly lighthearted for the most part.I meant it all lightheartedly too.Try to lighten up people. :)

prman

#84 Post by prman » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:59 pm

burnt out wrote:
I said that I knew what it was by the types of band names and therefore because I knew WHAT IT WAS then I knew I wouldn't like it.
You mean, like this:

Pink Floyd - I know I don`t like Vegas dragqueen artists and this one sounds definitely like one of those. Well I guess I don`t have to waste my precious time checking that one out.

Steely Dan - A band that names itself after a dildo can`t be too good. It`s propably one of those 80`s L.A. based hard rock bands that think that sexually charged band name is cool. I don`t like those.

RUSH - Yep. This is a clear case. It`s a techno artist from Europe. I would rather castrate myself with a teaspoon that waste my time checking this poor bastard out.

While it bugs me also when people think that some music (usually the one they like) is "be all end all" I can`t comply to your way of expressing opinions.

another virtuoso

#85 Post by another virtuoso » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:21 pm

burnt out wrote: I wouldn't even bother wasting my time to even check any of those out because I know by their names alone I would hate them.They all have stupid names and therefore they all make stupid music.

:shock:

what about the Beatles? stupid band not worth checking out because they named themselves after a bug?????????

that's one of the silliest reasons for not listening to a band i have ever..... Ever.... heard.

a closed mind will get you no where. and i'm not just talking about music.
your in front of the most beautiful painting in the whole world, but you never get to see the painting in its entirety because you refuse to accept that anything could ever possibly be greater than the bottom left corner that you happened to of looked at first.
you should keep that in mind bro.

Leanne_777

#86 Post by Leanne_777 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:36 pm

I just don't understand why people who don't like metal would not only come in and read a thread about it but comment negatively on it. That makes them no different than people who register here and start a thread called 'Why I think **** ******* is better than Steve Vai' or some attention grabbing crap like that.

Tao-RG

#87 Post by Tao-RG » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:19 am

headbanging makes more intelligent ^^
so pogo makes stupid ? ^^

Ant711UK

#88 Post by Ant711UK » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:53 pm

"Some new research suggests that people who listen to heavy metal/hard rock are more intelligent than people who listen to other types of music!"

So what! If it's true, good for the metal heads!

I don't understand why people are getting so uptight in this thread. If the statement is true it only means something to people who think it applies to them. There are many other intelligent people that don't listen to Heavy Metal. Do a poll in a hospital and ask all of the surgeons if they dig modern Heavy Metal or 'other' music!?

Being intelligent doesn't make anyone a better person than anyone else. Most of the criminal masterminds must have a way above average IQ. Also while we're at it, it takes an intelligent man to create a nuclear bomb but it's not the most intelligent thing to do, is it really?

Tony

burnt out

#89 Post by burnt out » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:13 pm

No,I'm sorry but you guys above, your examples are ridiculous.

I know what I am talking about and you guys are just being silly.

I know by the list that Cym gave what type of metal it was (or most of it was anyway) just by the names and I already know that I don't like that kind of stuff.

Because I DO KNOW what it is then that's why I know I don't like it.
1. I know what it is based on the names or atleast have a good general idea of what it is
2. I know that I don't like what it is from having heard it all before
3. based on steps 1 and 2 then I know I wouldn't like it very much

It has little to do with their actual band names it's just that the band names do indicate what style most of the music is in on that list and I know what I like and don't like and no one can tell me otherwise.

That's all I was saying.I wasn't being as harsh as you guys are being in your silly examples.

I may have said that metal in general is bunk or gay or whatever. :lol:

I may have said that metalheads think they are God's gift to music and music knowledge.

So in that regard I may have come off as kind of harsh. ( >< ) (i'm sorry u guys :cry:)

Let's say instead of a list of band names I was at a record store and saw all of these strange band's with strange names with pointy logos...what genre would that be?
^Probably some type of metal.I know because I've seen it and can deduce from that what type of music is and by knowing that I don't like that type of music I can then conclude that I probably wouldn't like it very much and that it would probably be a big waste of time to bother checking it out.

Why do you think these categories exist?

For example I know that I don't like grunge therefore it would be a waste of time for me to walk into the record store and head straight to the grunge section.

That is essentially all I'm saying.Is that so wrong?

I know I don't like emo therefore I am not going to waste time searching for emo.

I hope no one here is heartbroken over that. :cry:

Mikey,

I've always liked your moderating style and I think you've done a really good job here but I was a little disappointed with something you said.

You don't like metal. Good for you. We get it. So stop wasting your time here.

That's a totally fair statement.

You on the other hand, have painted metal (and in this case a certain genre of metal) with a broad brush - having heard little of it, and declaring your disdain for it often based purely on an band's name - which just highlights the glaring deficit in your intellect.

Mikey
vai.com

That is not a fair statement.

You don't know jack about how much metal I've heard and that is an extremely presumptious statement for you to make.Plus my point is that I know by the weird names and pointy logos what the music is and that's why I don't like it so the swipe at my intellect is also beneath you.

If you want to tell me that you all get that I don't like metal or that you as a mod want me to leave the thread then that's fine and that's fair and I understand.But direct personal attacks show a lack of intellect.

My apologies to all concerned I'm leaving the thread now and I'll try not to talk about metal.

Now off to the emo-bashing thread.Ha ha !! :lol:

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#90 Post by Mikey » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:55 pm

Hmm well, maybe it was a little harsh, but I'm sure you'll get over it.

Mikey :)
vai.com