Headbangers are more Intelligent!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Big Bad Bill

Headbangers are more Intelligent!

#1 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:37 pm

Some new research suggests that people who listen to heavy metal/hard rock are more intelligent than people who listen to other types of music! This doesn't include 80s Hair Metal music but seems to be modern complex metal like Opeth, Mastadon etc. The possible reason for this is the complex lyrics based on complex ideas, and the complexity of the music itself simply attracts clever people whereas 'three chord ballads' don't!

I'm afraid I don't have the details just yet as I heard this on BBC Radio 2 but I'll post more when I see that research paper itself. Perhaps more amazingly is that they almost played 'Ghost Reveries' on Radio 2-a station known for its 'middle-aged' music content! :D They played Paranoid instead :cry:

CallumChaplin
Newcomer

#2 Post by CallumChaplin » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:49 pm

did you read that in the telegraph. its pretty interesting isn't it. i was winding my mate who likes classical music up the other day about it. also lead singer of iron maiden... member of te conservative party!

seljer

#3 Post by seljer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:03 pm

metal also attracts a bunch of pretentious cocky racist assholes
or just a bunch of drunken idiots
it actually makes me want to loose the hair at times :?

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

GENIUS

#4 Post by CymbalSplittingSkinbasher » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:57 pm

:headbang :headbang :headbang :peace :lol:

j.arledge

#5 Post by j.arledge » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:07 pm

some of those metal/hard rock dudes are smart as hell . james maynard keenan (sp?) graduated from west point military acd. in 1983 or 4 . the lead singer of distrubed seems like a pretty smart dude and there are some other really interesting people in metal .

Shredded Heat

Re: Headbangers are more Intelligent!

#6 Post by Shredded Heat » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:28 pm

Iron Maiden helped broaden my horizons - I found out about Burns' 'Tam O'Shanter' and Coleridge's 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner' (among others) because of them.

Ditto for Metallica - a strong influence which led me to read Hemigway's 'For Whom the Bell Tolls', and find out about HP Lovecraft's 'The Call of Cthulhu'

Ther are plenty more examples I could cite - not all heavy metal bands either. Camel, Led Zeppelin, Nile, Rush - the list goes on....

Shredomaniac
Newcomer

#7 Post by Shredomaniac » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:46 pm

Can you tell me what is intelligence exactly?

Good luck, because nobody actually find out exactly what it was and how to mesure it...

Leanne_777

#8 Post by Leanne_777 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:47 pm

........I.Q test?............

guitar_chicken

#9 Post by guitar_chicken » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:43 pm

It's not only IQ. IQ tests only measures your cognitive and mathematical intelligences, but you still have five others to rely on.... Including musical intelligence!!!! :guitar

Melodic Dreamer

#10 Post by Melodic Dreamer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:53 pm

I used to be a metal head, but not any more. I'll stick to funk, fusion and good o' groove rock from now on. :roll:

:wink:

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#11 Post by Mikey » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:09 am

Some metal (Devin Townsend, Strapping Young Lad, Opeth and Meshuggah) are very very stimulating for me, and when I'm working they're like an aural cup of coffee. I find the same goes for trance music.

I have to also say that I always work out much harder at the gym when I have SYL or the mighty Meshuggah blaring on my iPod.

ROK,

Mikey
vai.com

al

#12 Post by al » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:33 am

I think most musicans who have some udnerstanding of it and write their own music are pretty intelligent, behind the hard rocking faces are usually intelligent people

When they're being interviewed you can really see what they're like behind the scenes

treeduck

#13 Post by treeduck » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:20 am

Mikey wrote:Some metal (Devin Townsend, Strapping Young Lad, Opeth and Meshuggah) are very very stimulating for me, and when I'm working they're like an aural cup of coffee. I find the same goes for trance music.

I have to also say that I always work out much harder at the gym when I have SYL or the mighty Meshuggah blaring on my iPod.

ROK,

Mikey
vai.com
You work out Mikey? Wow I just thought you were BORN tough...

:wink:

Big Bad Bill

#14 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:08 am

Shredomaniac wrote:Can you tell me what is intelligence exactly?
We will after you tell us the meaning of life :wink:
Shredomaniac wrote:Good luck, because nobody actually find out exactly what it was and how to measure it...
There is no single measure of intelligence that encompasses all aspects of it, but in a qualitative sense I think you can tell an intelligent person within a few minutes of talking/writing to them. Perhaps the article should've said people who listen to metal are more 'learned' than those who listen to other genres of music.

So you're into fusion, funk, groove rock, eh Melodic Dreamer? In that case I'm surprised you can even spell your own name :wink: :lol:

prman

#15 Post by prman » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:23 am

Mikey wrote:Some metal (Devin Townsend, Strapping Young Lad, Opeth and Meshuggah) are very very stimulating for me, and when I'm working they're like an aural cup of coffee. I find the same goes for trance music.

ROK,

Mikey
vai.com
Music really does amazing things to our psyche (while in university I did my diploma work on this subject). Here are some interensting examples.

In World War 1 they had serious shortage of anaesthetics, so they basically had to operate those wounded soldiers without any drugs. They had musicians playing in the operation rooms to take the attention of the patients away from the pain. Same technique is used nowadays in various ways. Doctors listen to their favourite music in the operation room to help them concentrate and calm down, the driver and the gunner of a tank listen to some stimulating music to make their "job" feel more like a computer game and less like killing people.

Music can also have physical implications on our bodies that is based on frequencies and resonations. Our organs resonate on certain frequencies and if that frequency is played it can be used to stimulate a certain organ. Anyone ever got disoriented or nauseous in a concert? The overwhelming volume and low frequencies have propably messed up your middle ear or stomach temporarily.

This one is also quite interesting. Eveyone knows those guys who cruise around with their car stereos cranked to the max. You hear that "boom boom boom" miles away. One theory suggests that they are subconciously reminiscing the time in their mother`s womb. The "boom boom" is the mothers heartbeat and the car is the metal "womb"...

Headbangers more intelligent? Believe what you want.