Virtuosos dieing out

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
lauriemonk
Newcomer

I don't listen to radio, so I could not comment and I know it was never on in the uk, unless by chance on bbc "Friday Rock Show"... I have to say that the web, youtube, myspace, mp3 have made the genre more viable.
Pobshot

the modern virtuoso's are just located elsewhere in the world now.. such as Guerra from Brasil, or Mattrach from France, or JerryC from Taiwan. They're all on Youtube.
budt

TongueNGroove wrote:... what I ment by the comment was Virtuoso guitar on the Radio (i.e. Van halen, Extreme, White Lion, Dokken etc..), that everyone hears. That died out right around 1990, and has yet to come back.
That started with the whole "Seattle" thing. I actually liked a lot of that stuff, but I hated the way it was marketed ... like you had to make a choice. Well, if that is the case I will keep my classic rock, metal and shred CDs.

The lone exception for me was Jerry Cantrell from Alice In Chains. Not a shredder, per se, but the guy can play. Great songwriting, great singing, great playing ... and playing solos when it supposedly "wasn't cool". Their second full length CD, "Dirt" got some heavy airplay. But the ONE to hear is the "3 legged dog" CD simply titled ... "Alice in Chains". This one even borders on avant garde ... You wouldn't necessarily say its "virtuosic", but give it a listen. There is something happening there.
MatJB

Snakeums wrote:the problem is: NO ONE IS DOING ANYTHING NEW!

ppl keep playing the same shit vai, satch, and yngwie already played 20 years ago...

Until someone does something new with the guitar, and is able to revolutionize the instrument...we're not gonna hear of any guitar players.
Correct. The problem is, it has all been done.
Since twenty years ago, guys like Guthrie, Greg Howe and Bumblefoot have pretty much perfected everything and got everything down as far as virtuoso rock guitar goes, and added their own twists to the idiom, but they haven't really taken it to a whole new dimension. Nobody is doing anything truly outstandingly original with rock guitar really - maybe there isn't anything left to do. But then again, maybe one day someone will bring something genuinely new to the table.
guitarbonham

well right now im in highschool and a couple years ago the guitar wasn't even a "cool" thing to do. Now i think guitar is starting to make a comeback largely in part to guitar hero. all the great classic rock songs are coming back. then what happened after zeppelin and ACDC? vituosic rock! i think its only a matter of time until it comes back. more and more of my friends are actually starting to like vai and such. i say soon after i get out of highschool and release a cd or 2 it will be big..... lol jk
burnt out

MatJB wrote:
Snakeums wrote:the problem is: NO ONE IS DOING ANYTHING NEW!

ppl keep playing the same shit vai, satch, and yngwie already played 20 years ago...

Until someone does something new with the guitar, and is able to revolutionize the instrument...we're not gonna hear of any guitar players.
Correct. The problem is, it has all been done.
Since twenty years ago, guys like Guthrie, Greg Howe and Bumblefoot have pretty much perfected everything and got everything down as far as virtuoso rock guitar goes, and added their own twists to the idiom, but they haven't really taken it to a whole new dimension. Nobody is doing anything truly outstandingly original with rock guitar really - maybe there isn't anything left to do. But then again, maybe one day someone will bring something genuinely new to the table.
Just write songs and the good stuff will come...

You can't just like say "alright everyone be a virtuoso starting riiiiiiight "NOW",ready,set GO!"

yeah,that'll work.. :lol:
guyzif

They are not dying out, you just have to know where too look i think. It is harder to find Solo Virtuoso Artists yes, mainly because it is a market full of amazing artists.

You have to look to the more underground rock and metal acts to find them.

One Example is Jorn Viggo Lofstad of the prog metal band Pagan's Mind. This guy really knows how to play and could very well be considered a Virtuoso, i recommend everyone to check them out!
burnt out

That's another thing I'm sick of.Not everything that is loud,fast and technical is necessarilly "good-music", so what some today call virtuosos I may not even consider to be.

To me it has to be good music too.It has to sound good.

Billy Thorpe (R.I.P.) nailed it when he said,"it's about being good and loud".
dawntreader
Newcomer

i think there are more super talented guitarists than ever before, they just dont get the exposure. all the "big guns" (vai, satch, gilbert, yngwie etc) rode the 80's big hair post van halen thing big time. there were other virtuoso's back then in a non hair metal setting that got no recognition...

nowadays theres some amazing and ORIGINAL guitar virtuosos out there. and i'm not talking about the middle of the road lifeless shred rip offs of the 80's who are still doing obvious arpeggio sweeps and tapping.....

if you want to hear where guitar is coming from in a more cool experimental modern age, check these instrumental bands out!

DON CABALLERO
WE BE THE ECHO
ORTHRELM
early HELLA (though the drummer is the main virtuoso in that band)
DRAGON FORCE (very 80's influenced but still awesome!)

i for one think steve vai is one of the few 80's virtuoso's who is still cutting edge.... Buckethead has his moments too but his writing isnt as good as steves...