Virtuosos dieing out

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
davidparis

What's happening to the virtuoso?! Nowadays TV isn't shinning with virtuosos its more beats and computerised stuff. Is the modern virtusos dieing out?! What happened to the days when kids would spend hours practicing on their instruments (not that i was alive in those times but anyway) becoming musical legends (i.e. Steve Vai, Joe Satch, Jimi Hendrix, Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci etc..)

Sure, these musicans will live on through their music when the die, but what will happen then?! Will we stop hearing new melodies and be forever to listen to the classics forever?

I can speak for myself, if it wasn't for my older guitar teacher i would have never found out who Vai or any other great virtuoso was..

So what i'm asking basically is, are virtuosos dieing out, or not??
nickcat0

I don't believe that they're a dying breed .

I'm sure that many of the young musicians are very talented .

I think it's just that the current trend appears to focus on the song , and soloing and instrumentals appear to be out of fashion .

But all these things are cyclical , and the days of the great virtuoso showing off his skills will return .
Shy Boy

It's not a dying breed, you just have to look past the big names and check out the unknown players scene. My video series (Guitars Suck) and my website (www.instrumentalcase.com) are good places to see the new guys, and so is www.truthinshredding.blogspot.com
leigh01

I blame it all on the Record labels, because virtuoso's don't sell and make as much money as fashion, labels just simply aren't sighning them, but I think give it a few years it will all change, and I think when it does it will be thanks to Vai, Satch, Malmsteen, Petrucci, Gilbert etc.
another virtuoso

uhh...... they have already died out. there is no die"ing". in fact they are coming back around the circle i beleive, as you are beginning to see new metal bands and such actually performing some ripping solos.
its still got a long way to be before it could reach anything like it did in the 80s, but i'd say in 5-10 years the music scene should either be really cool again or we'll be hit with a genre completely new.
Azyiu

I do not think virtuoso is a dying breed either. But let's face it, the good old MTV Guitar Heroes dayz are long gone. Yes, you no longer see those guitar heroes on tv like we used to back in the 80's and early 90's, but with the Internet, Satellite radio, dvds and what not, I think actually MORE kids get their chances in experiencing that kind of music. Go to a guitar store, hang out there for an hour or two, I am sure you will get to see and hear some kids play. By then you will know what I mean.
lauriemonk
Newcomer

I have to agree with instrumental case. Virtuoso's have not gone...they've just assumed another form...I think it's all for the better really. The cake is bigger...there more players to choose from and you don't have to worship at the alter of a single player. Virtuosity is where you find it...I am totally blown away by the amount of talent out there. I can see and hear more now than I have ever done...IMO, don't complain, join in, set up your fan site, play guitar, set up your myspace, set up your youtube and post your playing...I'll be there to pick you up...
TongueNGroove

All the virtuoso stuff died out in 1990...where you been man?!

If anything it is just now starting to come back. It will never be what it was in the 80's, but maybe some guys can step up and put some cool solos in their songs and be on the radio.
cioran

lauriemonk wrote:I have to agree with instrumental case. Virtuoso's have not gone...they've just assumed another form...I think it's all for the better really. The cake is bigger...there more players to choose from and you don't have to worship at the alter of a single player. Virtuosity is where you find it...I am totally blown away by the amount of talent out there. I can see and hear more now than I have ever done...IMO, don't complain, join in, set up your fan site, play guitar, set up your myspace, set up your youtube and post your playing...I'll be there to pick you up...
I quite agree. There's endless amount of real talent out there, and the more you look, the more you'll find. (That's not counting all the 40nps morons on youtube.)

Buying the "The Alchemists" albums should get you started (the second one came just recently), then navigate to a forum you're happy with and you'll find new skilled players almost daily.

I take it, though, that you're concerned about the lack of 'virtuosos' on MTV or other mainstream media. To my mind, that's not entirely a bad thing - real guitar music finds its own outlets, as has been noted above, and frankly, aren't we glad that Steve didn't stick around in Whitesnake?
(He did well, but talk about the wrong format...)

Better that guitarists play entirely their own music to knowledgeable and dedicated fans, and let the mainstream meander on its own...
lauriemonk
Newcomer

TongueNGroove wrote:All the virtuoso stuff died out in 1990...where you been man?!.
I think I should ask the same question of you...not heard of Guthrie Govan for example? Seek and you will find.
burnt out

nickcat0 wrote:I don't believe that they're a dying breed .

I'm sure that many of the young musicians are very talented .

I think it's just that the current trend appears to focus on the song , and soloing and instrumentals appear to be out of fashion .

But all these things are cyclical , and the days of the great virtuoso showing off his skills will return .
Wait...aren't SONGS music? :lol:

I'm confused... :? LOL

anyways...

I think you make music first and become a virtuoso sometime later perhaps.

Not everyone is a total virtuoso nor does everyone have to be.

Virtuosity is nice and all but music does include other elements (thank God) besides just how fast and technically someone can play on their particular instrument.

Virtuosity in singing has nothing to do with speed,thank God. 8)

Speed is great and all,but there is too much emphasis on it and too much emphasis on being technical and trying to be the next virtuoso,imo.

You shouldn't set out to be the most amazing virtuoso the world has ever seen,imo.

You should make music because you love music.

And loving music is about more than just being impressed by speed and technique and amazing virtuosity alone.

Anyone who really loves music embraces and appreciates the simple as well as the technical.

Atleast that's how it goes in my book. 8)

If you love music the rest will take care of itself.

And that my friends is basic MUSIC APPRECIATION 101 in a nutshell.
jdnmusic

i agree with the dude above me. =]
Snakeums

the problem is: NO ONE IS DOING ANYTHING NEW!

ppl keep playing the same shit vai, satch, and yngwie already played 20 years ago...

Until someone does something new with the guitar, and is able to revolutionize the instrument...we're not gonna hear of any guitar players.
burnt out

But not everything has to be groundbreaking guitar music that revolutionizes the way people view the instrument.

SONGS are the mainstay of music.

Songs have always been the mainstay of music and while they may not always been doing anything new,a good song is still a good song.

People seem to have forgotten that. :(

A good song doesn't have to totally wow you in terms of technique every time out.

And what good is a song with killer technique if it's a really annoying song?

Or if it's just a wank-a-thon?

Balance Grasshopper! 8)
slash89

Snakeums wrote:the problem is: NO ONE IS DOING ANYTHING NEW!

ppl keep playing the same shit vai, satch, and yngwie already played 20 years ago...

Until someone does something new with the guitar, and is able to revolutionize the instrument...we're not gonna hear of any guitar players.
That is not true. People always keep pushing it further and further.