My Favourite Things...

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
NantucketSleighrider

Having started piano lessons recently, I was browsing YouTube looking for videos of the great McCoy Tyner to insipre me, when I can across a video of the John Coltrane Quintet playing their version of the Rogers & Hammerstein piece, "My Favourite Things" (you may know this from the play "The Sound of Music"?).

Anyway, I was knocked out by the abilities of each member of the group; Coltrane playing a soprano sax like I have never seen before, Eric Dolphy going from subtle to extreme and back again on the flute, McCoy Tyner basically just being a genuis (his left hand is unreal), Reggie Workman is one of the most original jazz bassists ever and Elvin Jones is just Elvin Jones, perhaps the best and most influential jazz drummer ever!

Anyway, I think it is a superb piece of musicianship, and I hope you all enjoy as much as I did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pXWKwUYGKg
MarkRobinson

Coltrane is the man. Straight up. To my mind there have only been a handful of improvisers that could get close to touching him.
NantucketSleighrider

MarkRobinson wrote:Coltrane is the man. Straight up. To my mind there have only been a handful of improvisers that could get close to touching him.
Absolutely man! Coltrane ruins guitar players for me, because he makes the sax sound so damn good! I personally don't think that the guitar can touch the sax as far as portraying emotion through sound is concerned. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up when he starts playin, and they never go back down till he is finished! Its just a damn shame he died in the 60's, there was so much more music he had to record!
resha

That's seriously amazing. Period.
cioran

One of the greatest improvisers of the modern age. His recordings will only be forgotten if our understanding of music changes on a fundamental level - hence, not likely :wink:

I, too, suffer badly from 'sax envy'. Certainly you can portray all the emotion you possess in a guitar piece, but it's a damn sight harder.

Hell, why type? Better to listen to it again....

All the best.
litlgrnman

Sweet vid! Thanks for sharing!
lydian2000

NantucketSleighrider wrote:
MarkRobinson wrote:Coltrane is the man. Straight up. To my mind there have only been a handful of improvisers that could get close to touching him.
Absolutely man! Coltrane ruins guitar players for me, because he makes the sax sound so damn good! I personally don't think that the guitar can touch the sax as far as portraying emotion through sound is concerned. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up when he starts playin, and they never go back down till he is finished! Its just a damn shame he died in the 60's, there was so much more music he had to record!
I heard a jazz guitarist say once on radio it would take several lifetimes of intense practice to approach the technnical level of a good sax player..why? because sax players have a full direct access to all notes immediately some keys serve as whammy pedal. Now of course coltrane is very high up there with the few musical gods of the 20th century. btw there is a much better video on youtube of him playing "so what " with miles himself , the awfully distorted sound on that link you posted ruins everything IMO.
NantucketSleighrider

lydian2000 wrote:
NantucketSleighrider wrote:
I heard a jazz guitarist say once on radio it would take several lifetimes of intense practice to approach the technnical level of a good sax player..why? because sax players have a full direct access to all notes immediately some keys serve as whammy pedal. Now of course coltrane is very high up there with the few musical gods of the 20th century. btw there is a much better video on youtube of him playing "so what " with miles himself , the awfully distorted sound on that link you posted ruins everything IMO.
Its interesting what you say about how you favour the videos of Coltrane playing "So What" with Miles, because personally I much prefer the "My Favourite Things" video. I have a real hard time getting into a lot of Miles Davis stuff because he hated the majority of the musicians of the era, including some that he worked with, and I feel that this comes off in a lot of his music. He famously didn't like John Coltrane for a start, possibly because he felt threatened by his abilities. But with musicians like Coltrane and Dolphy, I feel as though they have no restrictions with their playing, and go all out, wheras Miles set his group with quite tight restrictions, even in the "So What" video, you can see that Coltrane is just bursting to give all he has, but Miles has everything held back. Also, practically everything Coltrane put out was a gem! Miles had a lot of, well, rubbish! Albums like "Aura", dear me, what was he thinking! But anyway, there is so much energy and passion in "My Favourite Things" which I feel lacks in a lot of Miles Davis's pieces.
As far as the quality of the video goes, try turning the volume down a little bit! :wink: