Mustaine Vs Kirk

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
call_of_ktulu

Hey Guyz,
Who do u think has a better brain, guitaring Kirk or Dave?
slash89

Kirk without a doubt :wink:
lydian2000

slash89 wrote:Kirk without a doubt :wink:

wow wow, u mean that?

huh, remind me of the great other bands kirk has started, or some of the great lyrics he wrote?

Besides, if we stick to pure guitar techniques, I think dave is very underrated, I like some of kirk's solos (whereever i may roam, "one")but take 20 megadeth songs where dave is soloing u have 20 original solos, and I like that better than pure shredspeed.

:)
Azyiu

Dave, without a doubt!
call_of_ktulu

I Like Kirk but Dave is better than Kirk
Zebula77

Dave Mustaine is better IMO. Better sound and better vibrato. Kirk's vibrato really isn't up to much, is it? It's so nervous and harsh. Sometimes it sounds like he bends the notes sharp when he puts vibrato on.
Kirk may have better chops, though. Hard to tell.

It has to be said that I prefer Megadeth to Metallica anyways. :lol:
ibanezrg

Dave Mustaine is only....1000 times better. Better riffage, solos, even lyrics (if Kirk writes the lyrics, I'm not sure if he does). I look at Dave as a metal master. And I look at Kirk as a (wanna-be) metal follower.
fyrie

Dave. Better playing all around, and for sure he writes better riffs. I may be mistaken, but doesn't James write most of the riffs for Metallica?
fiddlemord

fyrie wrote:Dave. Better playing all around, and for sure he writes better riffs. I may be mistaken, but doesn't James write most of the riffs for Metallica?
Yes, James is an important factor in Metallica, just as all the other members. Some songs Kirk is credited for are for example Enter Sandman, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Trapped Under Ice and Dyers Eve. There are many more, but judging by these songs alone, Kirk has awesome musical ideas too.
another virtuoso

well this will be a never ending thread just like any other metallica discussion probably.
i think dave might have a little better chops (but not by much, neither of them are close to amazing as technical players) , but i like kirks personal style a whole lot more.
so... tie?
nah, i'll give it to kirk.
Seraphim

ibanezrg wrote:Dave Mustaine is only....1000 times better.
I didn't expect nothing more than that from you... :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I wonder what opinion "fiddlemord" have... :wink:

My opinion? They are two great guitar players with diferent styles. My vote is for Dave Mustang because I like the style he plays... but don't forget that Kirk was a Joe student... or I'm wrong?

Anyway, Megadeth and Metallica rules :guitar
another virtuoso

Seraphim wrote:but don't forget that Kirk was a Joe student... or I'm wrong?
Kirk took guitar lessons from satch while working on the ...And Justice For All album. listen to this album in comparison to the others - its thought out waaay more than the other albums, and it really shows in a good way IMHO.

Kirk said that album felt more like work than just having fun jamming some metal out though because of all the extra work he had put into it and he didnt like that. He hasn't put out anymore work that was as focused as ...And Justice since.
Seraphim

I remember reading that, but thanks for remind my mind with that... Also I remember one video clip that Kirk is very focused in the playing... and was not for the video-clip, he was focused... :wink:
fiddlemord

Seraphim wrote:I wonder what opinion "fiddlemord" have... :wink:
I respect both guitarists and both of them are very influential and important in the history of heavy metal. Both of them are very skilled and both have written many wonderful solos during their career. But both have also written many solos during their career I don't like...Mainly because both have mostly sticked it to the minor pentatonic scale and so the licks sometimes sound repetitive etc. But both Dave and Kirk still rule.
VAI05

ibanezrg wrote:Dave Mustaine is only....1000 times better. Better riffage, solos, even lyrics (if Kirk writes the lyrics, I'm not sure if he does). I look at Dave as a metal master. And I look at Kirk as a (wanna-be) metal follower.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!