Jason Becker

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Vaiagra
Member
Member
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:16 am

I just wanted to say that I've never been moved by anyone in my entire life as much as I have by this guy.

Maybe if we wouldn't be spending trillions playing fighting games overseas we could crack the DNA riddle of ALS and Jason would be able to play guitar again.

As truly amazing and inspiring as he is, it must be unfathomably torturous not being able to physically play anymore. Especially for someone like him.

:(

I feel like I should do something.. I don't know yet.. maybe an online petition or something of that nature dealing with fundraising for ALS research. If we can put a man on the moon, find a vaccine for polio, clone animals and create robotic limbs, we should be able to cure or at least help victims of ALS.

Any thoughts?
User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am

People are working on an ALS cure. It seems that stem cell treatments may be the way ahead in finding a cure. But the country that does the best scientific research, and has the most money to do it, isn't allowed to use embryonic stem cells in human research. So I have little hope for poor Jason and the other sufferers of this disease
Eutow
Member
Member
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:18 am

if you purchase his albums, the majority of it will be sent to Jason. I believe you can just donate to him, for I'm fairly sure they have a donation system set up to support Jason.
Mr. Wiggles
Member
Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:35 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:People are working on an ALS cure. It seems that stem cell treatments may be the way ahead in finding a cure. But the country that does the best scientific research, and has the most money to do it, isn't allowed to use embryonic stem cells in human research. So I have little hope for poor Jason and the other sufferers of this disease
Actually, I just saw on the news a couple hours ago that they can get stem cells from amniotic fluid and they are supposed to be better than the ones they get from a fetus. Its not illegal and its about 100 times easier to do considering there are millions of births a year in the U.S. each year. So maybe hope is not lost after all.
User avatar
Big Bad Bill
Member
Member
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:40 am

That's brilliant news, Mr Wiggles! The problem is, why would they be tapping amniotic fluid. It can be dangerous to the living foetus so it's only done for really important reasons.

I really hope they find a fix for ALS-if only for the selfish reason that I'd love to buy a new album by Jason.
User avatar
Seraphim
Member
Member
Posts: 1832
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:16 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:I really hope they find a fix for ALS-if only for the selfish reason that I'd love to buy a new album by Jason.
Me too. Not only for that but also for Jason sake.
Mr. Wiggles
Member
Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:35 pm

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home

They do it anyways, so why throw away the fluid? Also, tumors can't be created with the cells, unlike others.
budt
Member
Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:11 am

His Hotlicks video - "The Legendary Guitar of Jason Becker" - is available again on DVD, which I just got, through amazon.com ...

I have to tell you, there is some amazing stuff on there. Most of the video on there is not professionally shot, but the content is, again, amazing.

A small way you can help Jason is by buying this DVD! And you will discover that he will help you ten times as much, just by inspiration alone. Besides being shown some new avenues on the guitar, you will genuinely like the guy, he seems to be just as special a person as he is a musician and guitar player.
Eutow
Member
Member
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:18 am

budt wrote:His Hotlicks video - "The Legendary Guitar of Jason Becker" - is available again on DVD, which I just got, through amazon.com ...

I have to tell you, there is some amazing stuff on there. Most of the video on there is not professionally shot, but the content is, again, amazing.

A small way you can help Jason is by buying this DVD! And you will discover that he will help you ten times as much, just by inspiration alone. Besides being shown some new avenues on the guitar, you will genuinely like the guy, he seems to be just as special a person as he is a musician and guitar player.
I ordered mine last month, and I still haven't received it. ugh,


but I'm excited!
User avatar
guyver_dio
Member
Member
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:18 am

budt wrote:His Hotlicks video - "The Legendary Guitar of Jason Becker" - is available again on DVD, which I just got, through amazon.com ...

I have to tell you, there is some amazing stuff on there. Most of the video on there is not professionally shot, but the content is, again, amazing.

A small way you can help Jason is by buying this DVD! And you will discover that he will help you ten times as much, just by inspiration alone. Besides being shown some new avenues on the guitar, you will genuinely like the guy, he seems to be just as special a person as he is a musician and guitar player.
Got it, seen it, something I'd treasure forever. I even showed this video to friends and family, people that aren't guitar/musical nuts and they really enjoyed this too. I've also read the 'Jason's Words' section on his site and would also recommend people should take the time to read it as it's really great insight and just a overall interesting read.
Xynia
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:08 pm

Vaiagra wrote:I just wanted to say that I've never been moved by anyone in my entire life as much as I have by this guy.

Maybe if we wouldn't be spending trillions playing fighting games overseas we could crack the DNA riddle of ALS and Jason would be able to play guitar again.

As truly amazing and inspiring as he is, it must be unfathomably torturous not being able to physically play anymore. Especially for someone like him.

:(

I feel like I should do something.. I don't know yet.. maybe an online petition or something of that nature dealing with fundraising for ALS research. If we can put a man on the moon, find a vaccine for polio, clone animals and create robotic limbs, we should be able to cure or at least help victims of ALS.

Any thoughts?
I know that other people have kinda said this, but I just want to say there's so much research going on out there to do with various degenerative motor neuron diseases, it doesn’t often get published in mainstream papers, and I know it's awful that there isn't a cure yet, and yes governments do suck because they don’t pledge funding and support scientists...but the people who research this stuff aren’t gonna give up anytime soon...the thing is, this is a fairly new science, the nervous system is so unbelievably complex...people just need to have faith, there is hope.
joestevevai
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:06 am

u can donate at http ://www.jasonbecker.com/
Official Jason Becker site
Shy Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:39 pm

There's a nice long interview with Jason in the new Guitar World (March, '07), and he posts monthly in his Myspace blog.
joestevevai
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:06 am

ill be getting my hands on that issue when it comes to australia. Wats on the cover?
ibanezrg
Member
Member
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:00 am

guyver_dio wrote:
budt wrote:His Hotlicks video - "The Legendary Guitar of Jason Becker" - is available again on DVD, which I just got, through amazon.com ...

I have to tell you, there is some amazing stuff on there. Most of the video on there is not professionally shot, but the content is, again, amazing.

A small way you can help Jason is by buying this DVD! And you will discover that he will help you ten times as much, just by inspiration alone. Besides being shown some new avenues on the guitar, you will genuinely like the guy, he seems to be just as special a person as he is a musician and guitar player.
Got it, seen it, something I'd treasure forever. I even showed this video to friends and family, people that aren't guitar/musical nuts and they really enjoyed this too. I've also read the 'Jason's Words' section on his site and would also recommend people should take the time to read it as it's really great insight and just a overall interesting read.
I read that "Jason's Words" thing just now. It made me :cry: (a little)
Post Reply