Wow - Zappa played on UK radio!

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
saraht

I was really amazed to hear Frank Zappa's 'I'm the Slime' played on the radio last night - I don't think I've ever heard any of his songs played on the radio before (Mainly because they were actually released before my time!)

Even more surprisingly, it was on BBC Radio 2 - traditionally seen as a middle-class, middle-aged, middle of the road type of station. The song was played on the Russell Brand show (A 'controversial' comedian who they've recently employed!) They play some really interesting music - they also play Tom Waits songs, which surprised me aswell.
And... I even heard a Vai song (can't remember which one) played on Radio 2 a couple of months ago, by Alex Lester, who's show I also really like (mind you, it is on at 3am - 6am, so not exactly prime time radio!)

But even so, I find it pleasing and surprising that this kind of music is being played on a mainstream radio station.

So I was just wondering, has anyone else heard any decent music played on any mainstream radio stations recently :?:
Juice777

Yeah, heard that too. Good on ya Russ! I think we should petition him to play more Zappa and Vai, let's get Stevie in the mainstream! If Wossy can play Bowie every week, let's get Brand playing Zappa. He also played some Jeff Buckley the other week, and it was something off "Sketches..." too, so well in my lad.
saraht

Juice777 wrote: I think we should petition him to play more Zappa and Vai, let's get Stevie in the mainstream! If Wossy can play Bowie every week, let's get Brand playing Zappa.
Yes we should! I met Russell last week actually. It was rather an awkward meeting though - I felt a bit intimidated by him cos he looks a bit weird close up and he was probably over a foot taller than me - I think he was wearing high heels, plus that bizarre hair..!

Anyway, yes, I might send an e-mail into the show next week requesting they play more Zappa, Vai etc.
Big Bad Bill

They're always playing his stuff on Planet Rock which is a UK-based digital station! Radio 2 though............that is amazing!