using metronome to learn 6-string rise in FTLOG

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
BigBadMoFoGangsta

I posted a question about a month ago in this forum about what kind of metronome to buy and someone responded with 'it doesnt matter' they are all basically the same thing. After purchasing my very first metronome, a BOSS DB-30, I am beginning to think that answer was given by someone who doesnt even own a metronome.
Anyway, my question has to do with how this specific metronome works and whether or not its a good thing or a bad thing when trying to learn a long run of notes, for instance, the dramatic run across 6 strings near the end in Steve Vai's For The Love of God. Everyone of these notes is played at exactly the same speed in succession. Well, what irks me about the metronome I purchased is that the 1st of every 4 beats has a higher chirping noise than the last 3 beats. I personally dont think this is good for learning the 6 string rise(my own term here) in For The Love of God. The higher chirping on the 1st beat is simply distracting me. Anyway, am I wrong to feel this isnt the optimum way for a metronome to work? Is there a metronome which "does NOT" accentuate the 1st of every 4 beats? Anyone got the DB-30 who knows how to "turn off" the accentuation of the 1st beat? Please help, trying to master this song. Thank You.
GregN

um...well every metronome i have owned does that.... Its becuase you metronome is set in 4/4 i believe.
you may be able to change it.
BigBadMoFoGangsta

GregN wrote:um...well every metronome i have owned does that.... Its becuase you metronome is set in 4/4 i believe.
you may be able to change it.
Just out of curiosity, how many metronomes have you owned? Do you know how many are on the market? And how old are the ones you do own? They come out with newer, more feature rich metronomes all the time.

I can change the time signature but it will still accentuate the 1st beat of the time signature, whatever it is. All I want is one continuos, monotonous, click at a set interval. In other words, instead of

CLICK, click, click, click, CLICK, click click click, CLICK, click click click

simply

click click click click click click click click click click click click
Tommy

I own two metronomes, a digital one and an old-style wooden one. They both don't have the time signature click.
Real_Confusions

I'd either suggest to set the time to whatever that ending meter is (it should help you realize where you are when playing), or use this online metronome: http://www.metronomeonline.com/
lydian2000

if u don't mind having ur computer on:

http://www.sheetmusicnow.com/tools/metronome.exe

free, easy, FULLY FUNCTIONAL, allows subdivisions, triplets...efficient.( i've been using software metronome for years and this is the best i found so far)

Otherwise, a digital one won't fail you(/accuracy,regularity) and will often be cheaper than a "real"one, those antique wooden things aren't that accurate and even get worse over time and temperature changes.
Samuele

I'm sure you just have to change the metronome setting - the BEAT setting.
On the DB-30 there's a RHYTHM/BEAT button - just press that one until "BEAT" (on the display) flashes. Then, with the arrow buttons, select the kind of beat you prefer, I think it should be "0" or "1" in your case.
This is something you can do with most metronomes on the market.
BigBadMoFoGangsta

Samuele wrote:I'm sure you just have to change the metronome setting - the BEAT setting.
On the DB-30 there's a RHYTHM/BEAT button - just press that one until "BEAT" (on the display) flashes. Then, with the arrow buttons, select the kind of beat you prefer, I think it should be "0" or "1" in your case.
This is something you can do with most metronomes on the market.
The beat is set to 0 and it STILL has a distinctly different chirp/click on the 1st beat of the time signature. I switched the beat to 1 and all it did was make the chirp higher pitched. I dont recommend this metronome, DB-30, because of this very reason.
Dyens

I think you need to realize that the high click is very important. Being aware of 'one' forces you to become aware of your downbeat, your accents, and (more often than not) your chord changes. I salute you for actually using your metronome. Just be sure that you're starting slowly and learning without any habits of tension or insecurity.
anuj

no no no no no.
this feature is IMPORTANT.

you WANT to focus on the downbeat cause you ALWAYS want to know where the 1 is relative to where you're playing. if it's distracting to you, keep playing w/ it on 'til you get used to it. that process is important and, generally speaking, will help you.

~A